Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Version of Painted Cladding and Stuff.

My Version of Painted Cladding and Stuff.

Instead of mucking up Mark Miller's awesome painted cladding thread I decided to start my own thread. I followed his steps and fed off his ideas; however, I just wanted a more textured look to my cladding.

I am thinking I need one more coat on the bumper - or I will see if I can even out the texture in some other way. I mostly got the texture and color I was after but I would like to make it more consistent before I move on to the rest of the cladding. So far though, I am pleased with how it's going! Let me know what you guys think.

Here it is at sundown with two coats on the bumper for comparison:

Don't make fun of the rock chips on the hood - I am taking care of it!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Zeus,
    Looking good! this painted cladding thing is looking like a very good solution to the fade issue.
    good work buddy
    like the wheels too
    cant wait to see the whole thing completed

david

Me too, man, me too! Thanks for the compliments! I just hope to get it done by Friday, before my road trip.

I like it, I have been on the fence about paint or more of a liner look. I will be interested to see the finished product.

Don't be ashamed of your chips. EVERY time I wash my VX, I find 3 or 4 new rock chips. I have been touching them up, but man, driving in Reno is like chronically driving in an asteroid belt.

Bart

but man, driving in Reno is like chronically driving in an asteroid belt.
    I'll second that...BTW looks great so far ZEUS, how are you liking the darker black look?
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

I think the cladding looks much better dark! This coating gives it a kind of metal flake look that you can't see in the pics but that might diminish some. In some places, it is a bit like sand paper because I held the can too far from the surface - those are the areas I hope to improve tonight.

As far as rock chips go, my cladding has suffered from some of that too - but it is looking much better now. In SLC, they lay down road salt or sand during snow storms so that is where most of my pitting comes from. I hope the coating holds up better than the bare plastic.

Looks great. Awaiting the finished product. Looks like something I need to plan to do to my IronMan. Keep up the good work.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS
    I think the cladding looks much better dark! This coating gives it a kind of metal flake look that you can't see in the pics but that might diminish some. In some places, it is a bit like sand paper because I held the can too far from the surface - those are the areas I hope to improve tonight.

Lookin' goo dude...I know what you mean about the "sandpaper" effect...I used the same stuff to spray a "bra" on my hood & fenders & it's plenty rough, but I like it like that.
    I found a brush with semi soft bristles for washing it, as it would destroy a sponge or anything else...unless I could find a kryptonite sponge, but those are WAY rare.
    The guy in the next bay over at work looked at it today (from a few yards away) & couldn't believe it was sprayed on until he got closer.

Well, I got the rest of the prep work done today. I took off my sliders, lower door seal, rear side markers, fuel door, and rear bumper. I masked off the door jamb and everything else and put plastic bags around my exposed light bulbs. I then scuffed up the whole thing with a Brillo pad thingamabob and rubbed it down with the Prep-All. So what does a VX look like without bumpers? I am glad you asked!

VX stripped to a thong:

This last one is going to be used as "The Before Shot":

looking great zeus, the perfect blend of rough and paint.

Lookin good! I'm thinking of painting mine with black PPG automotive paint (DCC formula) with flexing addative and a flattening agent added.
    Last edited by Dino : 05/22/2007 at 08:48 PM
    Sold the VX 11-21-07. It was fun while I had it!
    Thanks for all the help.

so are there any completed pics? Did i miss them or are they on another thread?

Sorry to leave ya hangin'! I have just been busy. I want to take some good pics at sundown but I was in Moab and then back to working overtime when I returned home. In Moab though, I got nothing but compliments on how the cladding looks! The day I really got to paint, God turned against me and made the cottonwood trees shed while making the wind blow. There is some spray streaking and inconsistency; but it isn't bad or all that noticable. If I had more time, I would have sprayed a third coat; that should even it out nicely, I think. I'll post "after pics" when I wash it!

Well, I didn't get to wash it but here are some pics anyway. Now it really looks streaked in these photos - but I swear it does not look that bad, plus it's dirty although it looks clean in the pics.

Before:

After: