Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: My Version of Painted Cladding and Stuff.

I like it. Looks like my next project is set.

Thanks! So you know, I used 7 cans of the coating but 10 would be better. I didn't use the adhesion promoter, but I scuffed up the cladding really well. You get better results if you hold the can closer than 5" from the surface. Past that point, it seems too misty and it sometimes creates sand paper. I wouldn't go all that light on the first coat either. The cans do start to spit globs when they get near empty, so beware of the black spit! I tried to get a consistent spatter effect after it happened to me a few times, I actually kind of like the look of the globs, it adds some dimension to the cladding! Also, mask off the sheetmetal higher than I did as I got some overspray on the rear hump because of the wind that day.

So far, the coating has held up well, even at the rocker entry. I have dragged my shoes over it a few times and it doesn't even show a scuff. It seems to clean off well too... no left over bug fragments after hitting the auto wash.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

So ZEUS, did you do the hood insert as well. Mine looks like major ish, Bart and Ascinder can vouch, and want to straighten it up as well as the cladding.

No, I left the hood insert alone, cuz as biju said, "I have never seen a hood insert that does not even show a sign of cracking!" But I told biju that I would like to change the bracing and replace the hood insert with lexan. I think tinted, 1/4" acrylic, mounted with stainless countersunk bolts, and backlit with a white or chamelion (sp?), color changing light in the engine bay... ahh... would look freakin' KILLER! I would like to get to that... maybe one day. I have it figured out in my head, but anyone is welcome to give it a shot!

I think tinted, 1/4" acrylic, mounted with stainless countersunk bolts, and backlit with a white or chamelion (sp?), color changing light in the engine bay... ahh... would look freakin' KILLER! I would like to get to that... maybe one day. I have it figured out in my head, but anyone is welcome to give it a shot!
    Damn, that sounds pretty cool indeed. It would be awesome to get a hold of some of those flickering candelabra style bulbs that imitate candles so you make people think your engine was on fire. Or something that linked the output of the lights to the accelerator, so it REALLY lit up when you stepped on it.
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

The coolest vision I have for my VX would be too expensive; but I would love to get a "true-fire" realistic flame job on my hood, fenders, and doors. That candling effect you mentioned under the hood would theme really well with that kind of flame job!

that flame job would look awesome coming out from under the cladding.. so it looked like there was fire under the cladding!

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

I wondered if I could find some vinyl graphics to accomplish that when I got my VX but it just wouldn't... well, you get what you pay for and the vinyl is cheap so I think it would look cheap. Need a true artist to do it right!

Well, it's been about 7 weeks since I painted my cladding. I beautified my VX last night:

I ironically had to apply Mother's Back To Black to make the coating pop again. It did start to grey out. When the coating is applied to steel it stays black - on plastic, it seems to be another story. The coating absorbs the Mother's though, so I will see how long the cladding stays black after being "treated".

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

Lookin' good man...nothing like a squeaky clean VX to get the motivational juices flowing.
    I've been trying to muster the motivation to get after my hood insert project. I want to sand it down, make the hood scoop functional to vent under hood heat & re-attach it with exposed stainless cap screws. I'm planning to use Bulldog & the plasti-kote black bumper color.
    After seeing your pics, I went & dug out the rattle cans from my closet...hey, it's a start.
    Keep the shiny side up & good luck with getting your front axle back together.

I think it looks pimpy. Anything to make an Ebony VX more black is cool.

Bart

Im thinking about making mine a UAV, with a flat black. So many silver VX out there.

Quote Originally Posted by CrnCnn
    Im thinking about making mine a UAV, with a flat black. So many silver VX out there.
    Unmanned Aerial Vehicle?

Quote Originally Posted by ZEUS
    Unmanned Aerial Vehicle?
    Thats right. I am gonna donate it to the military so they can spy better.

Urban Assult Vehicle maybe better.

Man, that looks sharp! Great job!
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"