Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Moab + soon = Where?

Moab Road Trip: New and Improved, with Tasty Photos!

(Thread title edited to let y'all know about the photo essays)

Hi Kids!

I'm leaving early on my road trip...next Tuesday, May 8th, to be exact. I'm taking my sweet time to get down to Moab.

The thing is, with all of the posts about campgrounds and trails and convoys and stuff, my...what do you call it...BRAIN...has gotten all confused about when and where the VX crowd will actually be meeting.

Where da VXs at?

Does anyone have a concrete date, time and place where my camera can capture the most VXs in one spot? If so, please either post here or PM me with the details. I'll want to print some stuff out and add phone numbers to my high-tech cell phone device thingie.
    Last edited by PHO2GR4 : 05/10/2007 at 09:15 PM
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate

You got my info dude...

Bart

Smile

I think the most VXs in one spot will be Tuesday at Elephant Hill.

Have a safe trip and see you at the Hill.

Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    ^ yes.

Meet at the Moab McDonalds at 8am.

as far as the other days, i'm sure there will be discussions over dinner/drinks on what to do, etc.

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

People actually get up before 8:00 am?

Oh wait...I meant to say...people actually eat at McDonalds?

Is this mysterious "Elephant Hill" easy to find?

Noone really eats at McD's...just use their parking lot to meet!
    Elephant Hill is VERY easy to find...just follow the VX in front of you.
    From posts on the 4X4Wire sounds like most of the other ZuZoo peeps will be planning their next days trips around the campfire at the Arche View campground.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Or if you're me... you have a plan of the trails you want to run and will throw it out to others to join you.

Im envisioning, small groups (3-5 rigs, maybe more, who knows), and covering a LOT of ground. With the small groups the only limiting factor is fuel.

I would expect that 2 trails a day isnt out of the question and in some areas; 3-D, Golden Spike, (those are easily 3 trails), but a small group on 3D will be done by lunch time. Then back to the condo, grab a bite and hit something else in the aftenoon, maybe take a quick dip in the pool.

Heck, I cant tell you the possibilities that exist without a structured plan, as they are numerous. I cant speak for anyone else, but it is entirely refreshing to me to actually be on vacation during vacation instead of working...

I imagine, that I will venture up to the CG after dinner each night and see what is happening and if there is more interesting things than what I was thinking.
    Take care,
    Keith
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

If you want to cover some ground, try this route... Head over Hurrah Pass and complete Chicken Corners. Then when you finish that, move on to Lockhart Basin (the trailhead is right off of Chicken Corners). The beginning canyon of Lockhart is pretty technical (about a mile or so) - after that, it's a cakewalk. I did this last month and we clocked about 60 miles of trail plus the drive back on pavement in one day!! About 10 hours of seat time and walking, I figure. The Lockhart Basin trail takes you from Moab and into Canyonlands - It is so long and generally an easy trail but I am glad I did it because the scenary is insane - the weather changed 3 times while we were on that trail because of how much backcountry we covered in that duration of time! It was weird to see people again after that run.
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Yeah we had considered that since we wont have time on the exploration pre-Moab run to hit it on the way into Moab.

Just FYI, the pre-Moab run starts for us on Fri 5/11.
    Depart Denver, arrive Capitol Reef, set up camp @ Fruita, do a little hiking and relax.
    5/12, meet up with a few friends coming down from SLC, travel down Notem-Bullfrog road, take ferry across and gather fuel supplies @ Halls Crossing, get down to the Spanish Fort and set up camp.
    5/13, Run Hole in the Rock trail into Cheese Camp and the overlook. Head back out to the Chute/amphitheater and set up camp.
    5/14, get back out to the main road and either:
    A) Head up through Cottonwood Wash/Beef Basin/Bobby's Hole as far as we can until daylight wanes and setup camp.
    B) Check out Natural Bridges and do that loop (I understand that is 1.5-2hrs), then take highway around Blanding and Monticello and find somewhere to camp.
    5.15, is planned to run Elephant Hill. Whether that is entered from the park (I will be able to meet up with some others that plan to run the trail that day) with option B
    Option A enters the trail from the west on the SW corner of the loop. This misses the first half of the trail, but allows to see some of it, perhaps meet up with the rest of the folks we know running the trail.
    Either way we plan on getting to Moab Tue eve.

I am stoked, because I have never seen these areas before, and it will all be new sights/territory for me until I get to Moab.

After that, I am fairly open to trails:

Yeah, hopefully I can bring up the rear, as I will have my video cam on dash so I would love to have nothing but a huge line of VXes in front of me the whole time!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by PHO2GR4
    Is this mysterious "Elephant Hill" easy to find?
    Just so you know, Elephant Hill is about 75 miles from McDonalds...so on your own it might be difficult to find.

McDonalds, OTOH, is pretty easy to find.

Smile Early Morning Departure

I'm leaving Seattle tomorrow morning, pointed approximately south - southeast. I'm going to follow some main highways down through eastern Washington and north-eastern Oregon, stopping for the night wherever I get tired. My two dogs are pretty excited. They know we're going somewhere, because I've been gathering my gear all day.

I'm looking forward to meeting those of you heading to Moab! This should be a blast.

A few issues:
    1) I hate packing. I always feel like I'm forgetting something important...which is dumb, since there's a Wal-Mart on every corner these days, where you can pick up anything you left behind.
    2) Gas prices! Holy crap! Nothing like taking a 2 1/2 week raod trip when gas prices are at an all-time record high. And I'll be in a loaded Vehicross, which gets bad mileage to begin with.
    3) Already bought my regular-strength, non-Utah beer.

See y'all on the flipside!

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by PHO2GR4
    I'm leaving Seattle tomorrow morning, pointed approximately south - southeast. I'm going to follow some main highways down through eastern Washington and north-eastern Oregon, stopping for the night wherever I get tired. My two dogs are pretty excited. They know we're going somewhere, because I've been gathering my gear all day.

I'm looking forward to meeting those of you heading to Moab! This should be a blast.

A few issues:
    1) I hate packing. I always feel like I'm forgetting something important...which is dumb, since there's a Wal-Mart on every corner these days, where you can pick up anything you left behind.
    2) Gas prices! Holy crap! Nothing like taking a 2 1/2 week raod trip when gas prices are at an all-time record high. And I'll be in a loaded Vehicross, which gets bad mileage to begin with.
    3) Already bought my regular-strength, non-Utah beer.

See y'all on the flipside!
    Lookin' forward to it !... I'm really starting to get the "Moab fever", almost did laundry today, but took a nap instead.
    OK, maybe tomorrow I'll REALLY get the Moab fever...right after I read my book on overcoming procrastination.

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub
    overcoming procrastination.
    Whats that?
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

Start saving now for 2008!!!!!!
    Every body have a safe trip, have LOTS of fun and make sure and post pics daily!