Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: TOD disconnect?

Exclamation TOD disconnect?

I was thinking about TOD and i got a question since its summer and i dont really need TOD so i was thinking maybe i can disconnect it for summer time and save up some gas and maybe its more fun just with rear drive, the question is can it cause any problems disconnecting it and driving for a couple months?

Nope, no harm. Several VXers have already done it...do a quick search.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

If you find an easy answer, post here and let us know.

When I did mine, I did not notice a change in MPG. None whatsoever. I think someone tested the TOD diconnect theory on a dyno and found that it doesnt actually disable it completely. Might want to do a search on that.

In the end, I went back to enabling it and am happier for doing so.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

alrite i did some research and now i see whats going on, the only reason i wanted to disconnect it was to save some gas but tone prove it on dyno that even if you disconnecting computer the system still working just not the same way so there is not a big difference. So im going to just keep the way it is with out any disconnects.
    P.S Damn gas prices should go down cuz its getting to high up =(

I have a TOD disconnect switch with that on, the front drive shaft is still connected, it ran the slowest of my runs dyno runs at 193.61 HP and 204.38 TQ.

What about just installing front lockers and putting them to the free position. I have installed them but have yet do do this. Wouldn't it let the TOD do whatever it wants, but since you aren't spending energy turning the front wheels, you should save some gas right?
    The reasonable man adapts himself to the world; the unreasonable man persists in trying to adapt the world to himself. Therefore all progress depends on me.

Doubt it. The rear will be working harder to push the now front end dead weight, so you may actually be using more power. *shrug* Just a theory. Regardless, the VX is simply a heavy vehicle, so I think 4 rotating wheels will be more of a powerband benefit.

Talking

i'm making a test right now, I filled my tank with the tod turned off, and i ran 340 Miles per tank. now i'm almost done running with tod turned on and i have a 1/4 tank left, and by far, i think i may gain more, but at this point its a maybe, or come real close, but when i run out of gas, I will post how many miles i did, and if i gained any or lost any. the frist and this second test, have been done with the same conditions, so we will see what happends. and u guys will have your answers, .

Whats the Point of Living, if You don't go BIG.....
    Turning My VX Into Rally VX

what did you do to disconnect your tod?

i havent done it in the VX.. but in my old awd subaru i put in a switch to disconnect the awd fuse, which made the car run in fwd.. and that i think actually hurt my gas mileage, id imagine it would be the same in the vx.

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

u have to cut the light blue wire underneath the passenger seat, but make sure u put a load on the wire because some people had problems with tod throwing codes.

Thumbs down

A couple of you guys already beat me to this, sort of; even disconnecting the front drive altogether, you're not gonna save much, if anything. The parasitic drag of all those parts still spinning ,and couple of hundred pounds of dead weight involved in those pieces, is gonna pretty much erase any gains. Not to mention the huge handling hit you're gonna take, all that weight up front, is gonna make this sled "push" pretty good. Understeer will rule the day if you get on it at all. Buy a Civic to bop around in, better yet, a diesel VW...they run very cheaply

u dont cut at all, u just unplug, but drives perfect, no problem whats so ever, the wheels turn perfect, the only thing wrong is, the cheak tod light will come on and blink, thats all. but u unplug the gray plug and it has three wires if i'm not wrong. but again, it drives perfect, just rear wheel drive. i drove like that for like 3 months.

Could you be a little more specific on what plug you pull. I found the Borg unit under the seat and it has 2 connectors one has about 10 wires the other about 20.