Thread: budget build

budget build

I made my self a front receiver, all the steel was scrap from work except the part the hitch goes in to. the receiver plug I made. total cost, $10.00. next is my 2" spacers made from old bearing races, one race welded inside the top one holds the spring. cost, free. I added O2 simulators and will be removing the cats when i get time to put in my new magnaflow muffler(local closeout sale). cost, $45.00. next project is electric fan and wheels and tiers, hopefully next month. you'll have to go to my gallery to see all the pictures, this is the only one's I could get on here for some reason.

I like the plug, very nice...

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by orion
    I made my self a front receiver, all the steel was scrap from work except the part the hitch goes in to. the receiver plug I made. total cost, $10.00. next is my 2" spacers made from old bearing races, one race welded inside the top one holds the spring. cost, free. I added O2 simulators and will be removing the cats when i get time to put in my new magnaflow muffler(local closeout sale). cost, $45.00. next project is electric fan and wheels and tiers, hopefully next month. you'll have to go to my gallery to see all the pictures, this is the only one's I could get on here for some reason.

very slick...combine that with the titanium VX badge in front and debadge everything else and you will have people everywher going "VX? Is that that 2008 toyota thing?"

Unhappy

Nice, (sorry to be a kill-joy) but it SEVERELY reduces your approach angle if offroad. And that's w/o the winch on.....

Wow, nice work!

Are you interested in making any more of those VX hitch plugs?
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

The most I do off road is play in the mud, no rocky stuff. the receiver is more to pull me out if stuck( not that that could happen ) and I don't have a winch. I'm still thinking about making some VX plugs.

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by Tone
    Nice, (sorry to be a kill-joy) but it SEVERELY reduces your approach angle if offroad. And that's w/o the winch on.....
    I noticed on your Moab Videos, that a lot of fellow VX'ers, left their hitches in, dragging them on the rocks... like curb feelers

The disturbing part, was the people standing and hanging out, directly behind spinnning tires on loose ground!!!!! Downhill even!!!! (head=tire level)
    Good way to get a rock in the Temple!!!!!
    Just a friendly safety reminder...

new magnaflows in. it's loud, but not too bad, nice low rumble at idle.

Looks like your rear passenger shock is leaking or something leaked onto it.

Otherwise. Nice muff. What was the part number for that one?

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385

Otherwise. Nice muff. What was the part number for that one?

how loud is the muffler at speed? im looking for a muffler to give me a nice deep growl with relatively low volumes... buddy of mine suggested stepping my exhaust pipe up to 3" for about 6" of pipe then back down to 2-1/4 into the muffler of my choice to keep volume down and help with a deep sound...

i saw the tie downs in your gallery.. great idea.. i may have to "borrow" that idea from ya..

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

First, the shocks not leaking, is just rusty salty winters . the part # 10425, its like a glass pack with the hole straight through, but it doesn't at all sound like one. its very deep until you floor it, then it almost sounds ricey, almost. and cruising at 55, its low and you can tolerate the volume. if your looking for low volume, go with a stock muscle car muffler like the flowmaster 40 or 50 series, no need to change pipe sizes.

Quote Originally Posted by orion
    First, the shocks not leaking, is just rusty salty winters . the part # 10425, its like a glass pack with the hole straight through, but it doesn't at all sound like one. its very deep until you floor it, then it almost sounds ricey, almost. and cruising at 55, its low and you can tolerate the volume. if your looking for low volume, go with a stock muscle car muffler like the flowmaster 40 or 50 series, no need to change pipe sizes.
    I agree, if you're concerned with loudness, look at those with extra baffles and packing. My dual in dual out Magnaflow (#14385) sounds like it has similar behavior to Orion's 4" round. Low, deep, but very loud and ricey at mid acceleration (but in hard acceleration - I love the sound!).

BTW Orion, what made you decide on that particular model? ease of fit? sound?
    Nice job!

luck, it was on a closeout shelf at my local speed shop.