Thread: Check Engine P0440

Check Engine P0440

Will my problems never cease?

Anyway... my check engine light came on again after cleaning the mass air sensor.

I got an OBD II computer (neighbor had one, go figure) and checked the code. It was a P0440... which is an EVAP system problem.

My question is ... how/what could have happened and how do I fix it?

I cleared the code, and filled up with gas in case I had a bad tank. So far, no check engine light, but I'm expecting it to come back on soon...

Any ideas would be appreciated.

I am having the same problem. It started a few weeks ago, I called a dealer and they told me that I most likely didn't tighten the gas cap hard enough. I always do, but I said ok. I reset the code and filled up again. Everything was fine for a few days. Then it came back again. I did the same thing, and again it was fine for a few days but then came on again. For now, I am just ignoring it since everything seems to work fine, but I will give dealer a call sometimes soon.

Please let me know if you find out what's up!

Yea, the dealer tried to tell me the same thing... which I knew was BS.

So I'm still waiting for it to come on again... not sure what I'm gonna do at that point.

Here is what we can do: take some duck tape, tape over the check engine light and BAM - no more annoying light :-)

Seriously though... I am getting a little nervous since it could be something serious and I don't know about it.

Shortly after my 30k maintenance, I started getting what I believe was the same code (I don't remember and didn't write it down). Took it in and they upgraded a software fix (sounds like a firmware upgrade), which cleared the check engine light. I was told it was a software glitch and not an actual problem. You may want to check into this.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

i had the same problem w/ the check engine light. i took it in and the dealer service dept told me the same thing, that my gas cap was loose and they wanted $85.00 to turn it off! i always tighten my gas cap but thougth hey maybe i didnt last time....they said make sure your hear 3 clicks when you put the cap on.....i too am waiting for the light to come on again.....

stan

Mine too.. It is always on. Same code. But I think it is from when I got my body lift put on they have to extend the filler tube with a rubber hose extension. Maybe not the best seal?
    I always take life with a grain of salt. Plus mashed potatoes and gravy!