Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: $500 ? ? ?

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.

$500 ? ? ?

Finally got around to taking my VXC skidplates to a painter...

Quote was just under $500. I walked out.

Is this quote accurate? Should it cost that much to paint two (small) plastic skidplates?...

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

try going to maaco. I know they are not the best around, but they are the cheapest. And their paints that adhere to plastics are better than thair body paints. They will paint any* vehicle for only $500...total. Here at work, I just designed our box truck to have a full body wrap in bright yellow vinyl (a la my proton, cant get enough yellow) and we wanted the cab to match. It was $500 exactly to paint the entire cab. There was a bit of overspray, but if you take the plates in unattached it should be just fine.

www.maaco.com

Wow, for way less than that you could have them professionally sprayed with bedliner, and it would probably hold up a lot better than paint too.

no way!! i sent my girlfriend to a local shop i heard about (local to philadelphia) when someone hit her rear bumper, they filled a good sized gouge in the plastic and repainted the entire bumper for $225 with a lifetime warranty!

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

LINE-X
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

You know, you can go to a jobber shop, a NAPA that has a Martin Senior paint counter or what have you and have them stuff a rattle can with a good quality auto paint of your color. Just let them know that it will be for plastic. There is more to it, mainly in the prep, but you can do it your self for not much more then 50 bucks. If you want to think about it, just follow the steps in the thread about painting your cladding, think it was Mark Miller that wrote it.
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

hmmm... I'm going to try the professional paint route at a few more places... if i can't find a place to shoot these for under $200 then I'm selling them here on vx.info.

did anyone here get raw plates from ron at vcx and (professionally) paint them after the fact? if so, how much did you pay? i should have just gotten them painted through ron (but at the time wasn't sure what color to go with)...

*fizzzzuck.

-biju.

So what color do you want?

So you don't think you could paint them well enough yourself with some good spray paint?

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by biju
    hmmm... I'm going to try the professional paint route at a few more places... if i can't find a place to shoot these for under $200 then I'm selling them here on vx.info.

did anyone here get raw plates from ron at vcx and (professionally) paint them after the fact? if so, how much did you pay? i should have just gotten them painted through ron (but at the time wasn't sure what color to go with)...

*fizzzzuck.

-biju.

I bought Ron's front plate RAW. Sanded it myself (220/400 wet) then went to my buddies shop, He primed,sealed,painted-total was $60.00

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    " Jeeps are nice, Barbie has one"

Cool just say no

i'd like to (someday) enter a few car and/or audio shows in the future. with that in mind, i'd rather *not* just 'rattle can' it. i'm a stickler for details... (you should know that, bart! )

but to answer your question... no, I don't trust my skillz. i repainted my tie rod shieldz and let me tell ya... they look GREAT in picutres, but up close you can see my shameful shameful work.

-biju.

Quote Originally Posted by VCrossfan
    I bought Ron's front plate RAW. Sanded it myself (220/400 wet) then went to my buddies shop, He primed,sealed,painted-total was $60.00

hmmm... now that's more like it!! eh-hem. any chance i could get in contact with your buddy and ship them out for paint? ??

-biju.

biju: I'll drop by his shop in next couple days and see how his workload is and get you a rough estimate. You said you have the front and rear skids,,Right??
    Also he has his own paint mixing system but just in case some colors are more $$$ what color will you be going with, Proton, Silver ?? And I know price was good because I had the hard part done (220/400 prep).

I'll p.m. you when I get the info...

Steve

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by biju
    hmmm... I'm going to try the professional paint route at a few more places... if i can't find a place to shoot these for under $200 then I'm selling them here on vx.info.-biju.
    I call first dibs if you do sell them...but don't do it, the yellow girl would look too cule with proton skid plates.
    Also, no matter how bad you fubar the paint...you get as many "do overs" as you need, it's just paint.

dibs for dub noted.

thanks.

-biju.