Thread: Rear Door Popper - AARGH!

Rear Door Popper - AARGH!

Hello Fam,

I hate to do this, but I can't seem to find what I need using the search function.

I have a question for those of you who have installed Tone's rear door popper with the factory Isuzu switch. I finally got everything to work, but I thought that I would be clever and run a wire from where the popper taps into the passenger side dome light up to the factory switch so I would know if the rear door is open, or not (there is an idicator light on the factory switch). With it wired up that way the indicator light on the switch comes on when either side door is open, but NOT when the rear door is open. Also, if one of the side doors are open, the rear popper won't work (press the button and nothing happens). When the doors are closed the popper works like a charm. What the heck am I missing? Would I have to install a second pin switch and run that to the factory button to get it to work right?

Thanks for the help.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Lightbulb My $0.02

Sounds to me like you tapped in too soon to the wires for the doors. You may also need a relay for logic.

The relay logic should allow direct power to your popper WHEN you press the button AND WHEN the car is secure (not moving) you can probably tie in or use a relay to monitor when you are in the PARK gear.

As for dome light illumination, I'd go with a pin switch that completed the circuit when it is released. Wire (+) power to it and it and tie it to the (+) side of the dome light. When the door is open, power will be sent to the dome light.

Good luck.

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    I think Kenny hit the nail on the head!

I was going to have a trunk release button also, but changed my mind and decided to only have the popper open by security system remote.

good luck, Mark.

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

Question

Quote Originally Posted by biju
    I think Kenny hit the nail on the head!

I was going to have a trunk release button also, but changed my mind and decided to only have the popper open by security system remote.

good luck, Mark.

-biju.
    As per our recent discussions, you know I'm a bit paranoid...
    Although I would love to have a trunk popper on the tail gate, I'm too afraid that somehow I might bump a button or sit on the remote and open the gate without knowing it. Then, unlike the doors, I've disarmed and opened my vehicle. Now I have to walk back to it to close it....

Do you, and others, have a good comfort level with your alarm FOB opening the popper? I assume it is a 2 second hold down to activate it.

Can the popper be set up to just pop the clasp for a few seconds to give you enough time to pull the door open? So if the door is not opened, the clasp would then re-engage and lock the gate again...

Sorry Mark for going a bit off topic of your troubleshoot...

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kenny
    I assume it is a 2 second hold down to activate it.
    yeah - option three for two seconds and then, *pop* - so very limited chance of accidents - but still possible i suppose.

msh: keep us posted if the above (kenny's post) helps to fix the issue you're havin'.

-biju.

MSHardeman,

I followed the instructions that are provided for Tone's mod and did not have a problem with the wiring for the release button and the dome light connection.

I do not use the remote fob to open the rear door.

I put the release button switch in the dash area near the hood release control. As a result, there have been no accidental rear door releases. You have to make a special effort to reach for the button.

Now, the only problem I have is that sometimes the popper spring mechanism does not push with the same force. It catches internally and does not fully pop out. Some silicone spray inside has helped, but I am not sure if that is going to be a permanent fix.

Henry

I have mine working through a dash switch and my alarm (Non-OEM) remote I love it!! The switch indicator light would need to be wired separately as Kenny suggested.

I will be working on a disconnect for mine so when the VX is in gear it won't allow the popper to work.. It's been so long, I'll have to refresh my self on the wiring scheme. The one thing I can say is, I have never opened mine accidentally so, that's good but I would like to make sure it can't happen. One way that I did make it safer was to rearrange the switches.. I moved the cruise control switch up to the upper switch are and put the popper switch in the CC slot. That way, you can't hit it when reaching for another switch.
    Scott / moncha.com

The yellow trunk button that the kit comes with fits perfectly in the glove box (there is a depression where one could have gone) and is hard to push accidentally. But an in gear lockout is a good idea.