Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Differential drop brackets

Differential drop brackets

OK, who has done these? I am trying to figure out what thickness metal to use for extending the brackets. They seem to be around 3/16" thick but with reinforced areas where the 4 bolts come through. I want to play it safe and use something that will hold up well, especially since it will be adding leverage between the mounting points. I tried PMing some people who had done this mod, but their PM boxes were full. I am trying to do this this weekend, so any help is really appreciated. Also, what is the general consensus on the best drop distance? I have heard the DOR mounts were 1.5" and I know BigmeatVX said he went with 2", and some people are saying to go as high as 2 1/2"-3".

I would like to do this mod too. Are you going to make some yourself? I might be interested if make some extras.
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Hey Ascinder -

I have a set of these, still brand new and not installed, from Independent4x. Send me an e-mail with your questions and I'll do my best to answer them. I can send pictures and measurements or whatever.

Kyle

P.S. - They're NOT for sale, so don't even ask!
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

Quote Originally Posted by kpaske
    P.S. - They're NOT for sale, so don't even ask!
    LOL, you seem to have caught on quick All right, I sent you an email.

And to answer the question of whether or not I can fab up some extra mounts, I am modding my stock ones, and have no idea how they will turn out , so what I'm trying to say here is that you would have to pull yours out, send yours to me to have done, then trust a guy that has only built one set with no testing to prove they will hold up, and I'd make you sign a legal disclaimer that kill several trees just to print it , but if you're OK with that, then sure I'll do it. I am actually just finishing up building a heavy duty tie rod which I had planned on offering to the VX community.

Question

indy4x sells them? I havnt seen any on there site?
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

I asked that same question when I emailed him, but he realized he got them from DOR which is extinct so don't get any hopes up. Looking at the pics of the DOR mounts, they look very similar to the ones BigmeatVX fabbed himself. That makes me feel better, and I think I may be attempting this tomorrow morning. I just finished doing my HD tie rods, with pics to follow soon. I can't believe I used the wrong tap when tapping out the first one though. I knew I should have put it away, but I forgot, and ended up threading about 3/8 into the rod. Fortunately I still had to chop 1/4" off of it and had some titanium putty lying around to fill in the few threads remaining. So they will both be finished tomorrow morning after they get powder coated.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Just a FYI as I haven't seen it mentioned yet...but for every inch you drop the diff, you also lose that much ground clearance.

Just me thinkin' out loud.

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub
    Just a FYI as I haven't seen it mentioned yet...but for every inch you drop the diff, you also lose that much ground clearance.

Just me thinkin' out loud.
    But!!!!!!!!!!!!! The dif drop will allow you to lift a bit higher without trashing your CV's, thus allowing bigger tires, thus allowing more clearance.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Arrow

Hey, I'm just sayin'...

It would be something I'd consider if trying to decide how much of a drop I was going to be fabbing.(somewhere between 1-1/2 & 3" as posted earlier)

Thats why one day I'll be SAS'd!
    By the way THIS PLACE sells drop brackets and a lot of other things for the VX...you just have to be able to decipher the Japanese language!

Mmmm...I dunno...I kinda shy away from buying anything from a place where all the part numbers begin with POS.

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete
    But!!!!!!!!!!!!! The dif drop will allow you to lift a bit higher without trashing your CV's, thus allowing bigger tires, thus allowing more clearance.
    Good point, however...you have to increase tire diameter by two inches to gain back one inch of ground clearance.
    Oh utopian suspension that does it all...where are you ?

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete
    Thats why one day I'll be SAS'd!
    By the way THIS PLACE sells drop brackets and a lot of other things for the VX...you just have to be able to decipher the Japanese language!
    **Translated** ...somewhat... and good luck with the prices. that drop bracket is a bit more than $400+shipping from Japan.

Also keep in mind the front drive shaft does not have any kind of slip-yoke to adjust length. If the front diff is dropped too much you will need a spacer machined or a custom shaft. The front shaft does not use typical u-joints either, so changing the angle of the shaft can induce some vibration. Mine did with a 2" front diff drop. I helped it a little by making the mounting holes on the drop brackets alter the pinion angle a few degree, but it was still there.

OK, I'm about to go out and start taking stuff apart, and I think I may just shoot straight for 3", I will probably have to make up a spacer for the driveshaft though, how did you solve this vibration issue with yours?