Thread: Frozen bolts

Angry Frozen bolts

Man, I am stumped.. I want to do my breaks and I can't even get started! the wheel is off, but the bolts on the breaks won't budge and I def don't want to start stipping stuff.. anyone have any idea's? I'm about to go spend 200 bucks on a 21 gal compressor and some air tools.. I was going to try a cheap method by getting a small touch and heating it, but didn't know what that would do to the line/calipers.... anyone have any ideas
    thanks

Arrow

Always use 6-point sockets when you can to get max grip on a fastener and reduce the chances of rounding it. To help break the bolt/nut use a small propane torch to heat the fastener for about a minute, then let cool for about 10 minutes and try to loosen. The different metal components will expand and contract at different rates which helps release them. You may need to repeat the process, but no more than twice.

Just be sure when using the torch to keep the flame on the fastener and you shouldn't have any issues since the surrounding material will absorb the heat. Use common sense when working with an open flame!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Hitting the head of the bolt with a hammer a few times helps shake things loose, too. Combine that with some penetrating lube and the torch and you should be golden.

Note, an impact wrench will only cause you heartache as it will just blindly tear the head right off any bolts. At least, every time I've used one on brake parts that's what happened.

Quote Originally Posted by Tobert
    ... Combine that with some penetrating lube and the torch and you should be golden.

Golden Brown?
    If you don't first THINK THINK, you could end up in deep DO DO!

Try some P&B lubricant. You can get it at any auto supply store. I use it at work all the time to loosen bolts. Just let it set for a while. It is great stuff.

What's never failed me is a soak in penetrating oil, followed by a hand impact wrench - the kind that accepts a 1/2" 6 point socket that you hit on the end with a hammer - you just keep bumping the end until the nut comes loose. It's a lot cheaper usually than buying air tools (unless you already have a compresser - then just buy the 1/2" pneumatic impact wrench from Harbor Freight for $16). If you don't have them, investing in some thick walled impact sockets help a lot too.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

I use a good ratchet and socket or wrench, and a hammer. Just a few taps on the wrench or ratchet and the bolts come loose. I would try everything before using heat on the caliper bolts. shawn
    1COOLVX

eastwood has a nice impact/breaker bar. part#14509. its 99 bucks,but is ideal for this situation, as well as others. im sure you could possibly find one cheaper. it has the1/2" socket on one side, and a flat place to hit with a hammer on the opposite side, while you put pressure on the bar to loosen. but im with the others, pb lube is pretty awsome. and just my couple of pennies, when i come up on a tight frustrating bolt like this, i go buy a spare or two BEFORE i get things tore apart so im not walking to the parts store to get another.....you know, just in case it does break....you can always return it if not needed.