Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Headlight gasket/seal

Headlight gasket/seal

During this past ice storm, my wiper wasnt the only thing that got torn up. (driver side does not turn now)

But my driver head light gasket has cracked and torn apart and now it flaps around when driving. Question is: Do i need to order another set of gaskets or is there another fix for this? I know I am not the only one that has/had this problem, but I can not locate their posts.

How do I fix this?

Mine were loose when I bought my VX. They were not torn or anything, but were sticking out and falling in in various places. I used some black silicone sealer to "glue" them back in place. They have been good since. I'm sure you might be able to order a new set of gaskets though of yours are too torn up...

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385
    During this past ice storm, my wiper wasnt the only thing that got torn up. (driver side does not turn now)

But my driver head light gasket has cracked and torn apart and now it flaps around when driving. Question is: Do i need to order another set of gaskets or is there another fix for this? I know I am not the only one that has/had this problem, but I can not locate their posts.

How do I fix this?

Get a J.C. Whitney or Jegs catalog (or simply visit their sites) 1/4 round rubber moldings of several thicknesses are available there. You get them in sections several feet long. They attach with 3M trim adhesive, or if you have access, really thin double sided tape(try Carborundum) Carbarundum??

Okay, been wanting to ask since the first time I saw mention of this gasket. Is this the thin black rubber like gasket that is on the headlight it's self, or the foam one that is on the hood that seals around the headlight?

The actuall trim around the headlight assembly itself. Mine has torn and needs to be replaced.

Thanks chopper.

Quote Originally Posted by JHarris1385
    The actuall trim around the headlight assembly itself. Mine has torn and needs to be replaced.

Thanks chopper.
    Mine is missing completely. The list gets longer...

Cool

Mine are missing, too. I've considered buying replacement gaskets and trying to glue them into place, but I'm starting to wonder if they are really necessary.

Anybody?

ARE they necessary? If so, why? If I just ignore them, will my VX explode? I'd hate for my VX to explode just because I was too lazy to get headlight gaskets.
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate

Smile headlight gaskets

Mine were missing when I bought my VX last January,2006. I drove almost nine months without them, but last fall I went to O'Reilly's (it may have been AutoZone, can't remember). I looked in the area where they stock window vent deflectors and bug deflectors and found a package of black soft rubber-like 1/4" or 3/8" round gasket material. It has double stick tape on one side of it and looks like it could be used in a number of different applications. I cut it into strips of about 20" and worked it around the headlight next to body to prevent any air or water to penetrate. You have to be careful because it is very soft and pliable and tears easily if you use a sharp object to squeeze it in the tight spaces. The first section wound up with a few holes, but I had enough material I re-installed it and it looks great. I'm happy I did it as I could see where water had entered the engine compartment around the headlights. No damage but hard to keep it clean. I hope this helps. Sorry I don't have any pictures, but it isn't that difficult and it's relatively cheap at about $10.00 for the package of material.

Paul

My new fix was high adhesive 3M 2sided tape. It has worked excellent since I did it last year and is still as solid as can be. It's the same weatherstrip adhesive tape used for automobile moulding and can be found at most hardware and automotive parts suppliers. I had to trim it down to make it thinner strips, but it was well worth the little added elbow work.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

As someone who has purchased (2) of the original equipment headlight gaskets, I can tell you that they are very pricey for what is basically two strips of rubber, that seem to like to become detached from the headlights rather easily anyway.

Unless you are concerned with 100% originality, I would go with one of the solutions described above, or in other threads on this topic. I know that if mine ever fly off again, I am not going to bother with the factory replacements...

To...

To ease some concerns, I've had my VX for about 6 years now. Almost as soon as I bought it the gaskets started coming loose. The main problem I had was in the, (if looking at the front of the car, the inner part of the headlight where the hood covers it), part of the gasket. On both lights they came loose, eventually I cut off just this portion of the gasket since a peice of it broke loose and started flapping around. I drove like this up till last month when my VX was hit and needed to get the whole front end completely redone. I never had any sort of problem whatsoever, so no your car is not going to blow up. I live in a pretty far ranging climate too, with weather ranging from extreme heat to extreme cold and snow.
    The body shop did replace the headlamps totally and did put in new gaskets but what they used I have no idea, don't know if they are original spec equipment or not. So far so good though, knock on wood.
    Hopefully this alleviates some fears.
    99 Ebony Black
    The Jersey Fish
    East Rockaway NY
    NYPD's Finest

OK, it seems like I am one of a very few number of people who actually got the OEM h/lamp protective strips. I felt like an idiot when I got them as I couldn't figure out how they were supposed to fit. There were only little remanants of rubber left on my headlamps when I got the car so I had nothing to reference. I assumed that I would just get 2-3' length of rubber with an adhesive back. Instead I got one side with little crocodile teeth on it, one side that was a little different, and a third that was slightly different still. I felt like an idiot for not knowing how they correctly fit, but figured I'd put them on and pray for the best. I know I should have written the forum but I figured it couldn't be that hard to figure out. Well, they're on now but I guess until I see another VX driving around I will have no idea if they're on correct or not. It's better to go AM on this one, I will do so in the future myself.

Hey, Joe... the flat cut ends, meet near the center, on the bottom edge of the headlight. Drop the cladding first. Once you line it up, the gator teeth make sense... they allow the bends, without binding.

thanks chopper, now I need to debate if it's worth taking them off and seeing if they'll restick again to do it right
    I'm kicking myself for now asking this question on the forum before I tried it myself, I just didn't imagine it would be that big of a deal putting gaskets on....

3M double sided tape. The grey,automotive stuff. Just apply it over the factory stickum. Better than new.