Thread: Learning to weld, or my new brush guard.

Learning to weld, or my new brush guard.

So, I'm learning how to weld and naturally the first project was the brush guard. I may change or remove the top bar, but here it is. Next is a matching one for the back. It looks wide, but is just as wide s the fenders and the Mrs. has authorized larger tires this week......all I have to play with is $500 though

Last edited by MustangO4 : 02/16/2007 at 07:14 PM Reason: I can't speel, spul, speil... make words

Cool, can't wait to see the pics.
    Its the thrill of the chase

Your VX is taking on a look of raw strength - is it possible for you to use a bigger diameter material for this brushguard? I think it would blend with what you have going on... in other words... I am excited to see where your VX goes! Harbor Frieght has a pipe bender for around $100 and it can bend tubing if you plan ahead to use a die that works well with a specific size of tubing. Pipe and tubing differ in their measurement of inner dia. and outer dia. If your wife would allow you to budget this bender into the plan you could take on something to school everyone in the budget buildup dept that looks great! Or just use a bigger diameter material and go with it but.. sorry, personally I think the diameter is a bit small. I am liking your VX's direction though!
    Sent from my "two hands on a keyboard"

Harbor freights bender aint worth the cans its cast from.. Dont even think about using it as a tubing bender. it is a pipe bender, and there is a big difference.

Just a word or advice from one welded/fabricator to another, brace the lower and middle tubes with something alone the ends. If you hit anything substantial that will bend and pierce the headlight/fender area. Otherwise it looks pretty good, no how about some close ups on the welds????
    Drive it like ya stole it!!!

2002 Axiom XS
    -20" Eco 820s with Goodyears
    -Custom fiberglass system...Rockford, JBL
    -Cutom powerdyne supercharger in the works
    -Cutom functional WRX hood scoop
    -Custom morgan-tec dual exhaust
    -Morgan-tec high flow intake kit

For prices, pics, audio and vid clips of my products please check out www.morgan-tec.com

Here is your closeup on the welds. I cannot take credit though. My neighbor is taking welding classes, so I just tacked everything up and he finished it up much better than I can right now. I am still using flux core so it's ugly, but I have my gas setup on order, then we'll see where I am at.

As for the pipe size, it is 1 inch and actually looks bigger and more substantial in person. That being said, I may do it again with 1.5-2" pipe. I just don't like the big "nerf bar" look. I think it distracts too much from the truck. I am still not too keen on the upper bar as it covers the grill. I also have to do the back guard.

After leaving it for a week, I decided I didn't like the top bar, so I cut it off.
    The new tires are just some relatively cheap off brands, "made by Goodyear" that I got a good deal on. I think I'll bedliner the rims soon....

Looks 10x better......How much $ did this cost you?

$15 in black pipe, $3 for a new sanding wheel for my cheapo angle grinder,$5 new blade for the sawzall,I had the angle iron, some MEK for cleaning and the spray on truckbed liner (any other textured paint would have worked fine too), $15 bottle of vodka to get my neighbor to finish the welding that I tacked in place and a six pack, while the paint dried.

Quote Originally Posted by MustangO3
    After leaving it for a week, I decided I didn't like the top bar, so I cut it off.
    The new tires are just some relatively cheap off brands, "made by Goodyear" that I got a good deal on. I think I'll bedliner the rims soon....
    Is that a sticker from Robocop? OCP?

"Dead or alive, you're coming with me."

yes