Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: question to those with Alpine SC

question to those with Alpine SC

Mine is making a quite a lot of noise these days. Probably a bearing. I have an email in to Tone but wondered if anyone else has delt with this issue.
    Scott

just at idle or always? The older versions do make a rough sounding noise at idle.
    "You can live your life in a thousand ways,
    but it all comes down to that single day,
    when you realize what you regret,
    but you cant relaim and you cant forget."
    ----Trans Siberian Orchestra

Happens at idle but also when accelerating or going up hills. I thought it was an exhaust leak but my mechanic believes it is a bearing in the SC. Does anyone know the warrantee that Alpine gives with these SCs? I'm sure it's been too long for me but tearing down the nose sounds like an expensive process.

I had the early noisy bearing. Never any problems other than it sounded like you owned a POS.

I purchased the newer quiet nose from Alpine and swapped it in about an hour. I remember it being about $400, but not sure. They didn't keep it in stock, and I waited about 8 weeks to get it.

John C.

Have you checked the ERG nut. The aluminum block that comes with the kit is notorious for backing the nut off and letting exhaust gas flow by making noise. I ended up putting locktite on it and that lasted 2 years without a problem.

I was going to change to the new nose cone a lil while back and it seemed like a $200+ item, cant remember for sure. The nut could very well be the noise you hear, sounds alot like a exhaust leak under acceleration.

Also have you changed the s/c oil, how did it look?

I had my mechanic who installed the SC use the car for the morning. He verified that the noise is in the SC. Reported that it sounds like a bag of marbles and the noise in random but most noticable under load. He set the parking brake and manipulated the throttle in order to get a good listen. I've been trying to talk with someone at Alpine. Can't wait to get it fixed. BTW, I thought it was an exhaust noise too.

Quote Originally Posted by Jay Dunford
    Have you checked the ERG nut. The aluminum block that comes with the kit is notorious for backing the nut off and letting exhaust gas flow by making noise. I ended up putting locktite on it and that lasted 2 years without a problem.
    Jay,

Absolutely, that was the first thing I thought when I heard the noise but that nut was on good and tight.

Quote Originally Posted by Ruflyf
    I was going to change to the new nose cone a lil while back and it seemed like a $200+ item, cant remember for sure. The nut could very well be the noise you hear, sounds alot like a exhaust leak under acceleration.

Also have you changed the s/c oil, how did it look?
    Didn't want to start a new thread, so here are a few ???'s concerning the S/C:

- Speaking of oil, what oil have you all found to be to the liking of Alpine? Also, the fill/drain pot, I suspect, is on the front of the bell near the nose, correct? Documentation/schematics are nil on this thing and the install directions are flaky, at best.

- Has anyone found a sparkplug that works best all around with the S/C? Definately upgrading the plugs.

- Has anyone gone with braided hoses? Thinking of going this route eventually, but will use the supplied hosing until I know the S/C is up and running and broken in.

In all, I hope to get started in a few weeks. Weather is getting much better, my tools are dying to get the dust blown off of them, and after 4 years of this S/C sitting idle in a box in the basement, it's simply time to do it. I have installed 1000 T/Cs, so I am looking very forward to installing this S/C, considering this will be the first blower I will have ever installed on a street legal car, hahaha. This one is quite tiny compared to the ones I have done before, many years ago (one person can actually list this one alone!).

Any advice is appreciated.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

My advise....put it on Gary.

Quote Originally Posted by ScottinMA
    My advise....put it on Gary.
    Oh, I am. Currently in the garage tearing it down. Playing hell with the fuel injector wiring. Little bastages arent the easiest things to unplug.

Looking more into it.... the documentation states NIL about the throttle body and accelerator cable. Looks like when it comes to that, I am gonna need the assistance of my complete NASCAR loving gearhead of a brother-in-law.

Taking my time on it so I have nothing but time. Sure beats being lazy and getting a shop to do the install for $800. Feels good to be under a hood again.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    You are correct, the drain/ fill plug is on the front. From what I've read, a syringe with a small vinyl hose attatched will get most of the oil out.
    I think GM supercharger oil is recommended.

I ran into a jam. I have contacted Tone but I am not sure he can help me with this issue since the kit has been in my possession for 3 years, untouched until now. Basically, I never recieved an extended cruise cable and bracket. So, I am probably gonna have to fab my own bracket and spline my own cable. In any case, I have a favor to ask.... can someone with the S/C please snap a shot of the rear of their S/C, preferably giving me reference to the throttle body and it's relation to where the cruise and accel brackets mount on the bell housing? I am interested in seeing where the brackets mount and how your cruise and accel cables are tucked away behind the S/C. Thanks in advance.

BTW, I am still playing hell with the injector harnesses. I did them once before.... now I can't remember how in the hell I got them off.

Arrow

Alpine can supply you with the correct bracket and cable - it is pretty complex with rollers to properly route the cables.

Oil should be changed by removing the hex bolts at the front of the charger (not the nose cone ones) and catch the fluid with a rag. Then reseal and refill .

Pull out the blue clip on the injector clip and then use a small screwdriver to depress the plastic locking tab on the injector plug - pull gently.

Quote Originally Posted by Tone
    Alpine can supply you with the correct bracket and cable - it is pretty complex with rollers to properly route the cables.

Oil should be changed by removing the hex bolts at the front of the charger (not the nose cone ones) and catch the fluid with a rag. Then reseal and refill .

Pull out the blue clip on the injector clip and then use a small screwdriver to depress the plastic locking tab on the injector plug - pull gently.
    Thanks Tone. When you say "route" the cables with rollers, are you refering to in the engine bay or the process of actually creating the new extended cruise cable? Please excuse my confusion. Is the cable something I should deal directly with Alpine or is it something I can aquire through your services?

As for the injector clips, ya, that all sounds familiar and I have been doing just that which you said. I will try again when it isnt midnight and with a doberman pulling on my ankle.

Thanks for the response.