Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: question to those with Alpine SC

Quote Originally Posted by PK View Post
    Scott, if you are currently running with the SC installed, but not turning over, there would be quite a large drop in performance.
    All the intake air has to find its way through the stationary SC.

Going back to OEM setup will still be a drop in performance, but nowhere near as much as the stationary SC.

PK
    Well that explains it. Today I'll focus my search on finding an Eaton M62 blower pulley and see whether that does the trick. Hate to retire this blower.
    Scott

Oh my God! I have a response from Alpine!!

Hi we need to know what vehicle it for. Regards John

-----Original Message-----
    Sent: 02 December 2009 02:46 AM
    To: sales@alpine-developments.com
    Cc: sales@performancesi.com
    Subject: Parts for Alpine SC

Hello,

I need to replace my 5 lb SC pulley on an Alpine (Eaton M62) version. How
    can obtain one?

Update

I've been chatting with John at Alpine in South Africa. Alpine is going to manufacture a 53 mm SC pulley capable of increasing the boost to 6 lbs. That along with a bearing for the tensioner pulley should get me back in business. Getting this done has been quite a project and I'm grateful to Alpine for responding to my requests and I will be even more grateful when these parts get here.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by ScottinMA View Post
    Alpine is going to manufacture a 53 mm SC pulley capable of increasing the boost to 6 lbs.
    Please keep me posted as to cost, availability, & who to send the money to.....

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    haha, wouldnt expect anything less.....
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

I'd like a 6 lb pulley as well, please...

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Absolutely! I will let everyone know as soon as this process is finished.

Dub and Johnny

Well, something changed. In a earlier correspondence with Alpine in South Africa I received the following message on December 7th:

"Hi We will send a 53mm pulley John"

On December 10th I received this:

"Hi we never had a 53mm pulley in stock we are making one. Please confirm all the parts you require regards John"

On December 17 this:

"Hi Scott, the 5psi pulley is the smallest we can go, to get more boost we would have to manufacture a larger crank pulley that would quite expensive. We will have update to a larger supercharger MP 90 soon keep in touch Regards John"

I assume that is our Aussie pals endeavor....

And the other source I was investigating:

"This pulley was designed by NGM to bring the boost and power level of the Alpine supercharger kit for the 2.7L Tiburon up to Stage II level. With headers and catback and the addition of this pulley, you should see a boost increase of approximately 6lbs. Total boost you should see is around 6lbs.

$165.95 $145.95"

I called him about fitment. His reply on December 7:

"It will fit. Alpine used the same offset pulley that I use on my kits so there should be no problem with the offset."

To reach them:

http://ngmhouseofpower.com/product_i...6slp1gvmao4pp3

That's all the news that fit to print : )

Anybody wanna guinea pig that pulley? Don't look at "I".

My concerns....

Proven on a 2.7L Tiburon.... I simply can't take someone's word for it when it isn't in writing (the website doesn't list a 3.5L VehiCROSS, so they will not be responsible). And to be honest, I don't know what the load bearing is on the existing Alpine unit. Could be that 5psi is at or close to the limit, considering the bearing issues it is prone to. And remember, Alpine didn't even offer the 5psi until just before they were discontinued. Anybody who is considering a swap, I would consider the consequences first.

I will guarantee the boost, but for how long before issues arise?

An all new S/C unit is the best option if you ask me. Something with better internals and not some damned nylon bearings.

Just some thoughts I have had on the issue.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Gary,

Agreed. I just wanted to keep people up to date with the most recent chatter from Alpine. As for the other company, a telephone call to determine whether it is, in fact, at 53 mm pulley is simple.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    maybe this is a dumb question. but if you guys are having problems with the bearings....

why not have someone make you better ones?

i know there are plenty of places out there who will make you any type and size of bearing needed. my dad has a couple of companies he uses for trailers and whatnot.

Wrench

Quote Originally Posted by ScottinMA View Post
    Gary,

Agreed. I just wanted to keep people up to date with the most recent chatter from Alpine. As for the other company, a telephone call to determine whether it is, in fact, at 53 mm pulley is simple.
    I've been lookin' at this for a couple of days, & the pic on their website is what got me to digging...now I gotta be the turd again...

According to this...

Alpine/NGM Stage II Supercharger Pulley 2.8"

This pulley was designed by NGM to bring the boost and power level of the Alpine supercharger kit for the 2.7L Tiburon up to Stage II level. With headers and catback and the addition of this pulley, you should see a boost increase of approximately 6lbs. Total boost you should see is around 6lbs.

$165.95 $145.95
    This product was added to our catalog on Sunday 14 January, 2007.

The pulley they're offering is 2.8", the 5 lb. pulley on the Alpine S/C I've got, is approx (hey, it's cold out there) 2.25" outer lip - outer lip, which would put it near 2.125" actual dia.

Check me if I'm wrong here, but increasing the size of the driven pulley is going to make it spin slower.

It would stand to reason that their 6 lb. pulley is larger than our 5 lb. pulley because they're using a larger drive pulley on the crank.

We have a 6.5", 7.0", and 7.5". This pulley set will allow you to increase boost if you do not desire to change out the blower pulley. This set will also allow you to increase boost above and beyond the upper pulley change. We have plenty of combinations for you.

Our Alpine crank pulley measures approx 5", outer lip - outer lip.

Arrow

I've been lookin' at this for a couple of days, & the pic on their website is what got me to digging...now I gotta be the turd again...

According to this...

Alpine/NGM Stage II Supercharger Pulley 2.8"

This pulley was designed by NGM to bring the boost and power level of the Alpine supercharger kit for the 2.7L Tiburon up to Stage II level. With headers and catback and the addition of this pulley, you should see a boost increase of approximately 6lbs. Total boost you should see is around 6lbs.

$165.95 $145.95
    This product was added to our catalog on Sunday 14 January, 2007.

The pulley they're offering is 2.8", the 5 lb. pulley on the Alpine S/C I've got, is approx (hey, it's cold out there) 2.25" outer lip - outer lip, which would put it near 2.125" actual dia.

Check me if I'm wrong here, but increasing the size of the driven pulley is going to make it spin slower.

It would stand to reason that their 6 lb. pulley is larger than our 5 lb. pulley because they're using a larger drive pulley on the crank.

We have a 6.5", 7.0", and 7.5". This pulley set will allow you to increase boost if you do not desire to change out the blower pulley. This set will also allow you to increase boost above and beyond the upper pulley change. We have plenty of combinations for you.

Our Alpine crank pulley measures approx 5", outer lip - outer lip.
    You absolutely right larry,adding the latest pulley to your guys m60 will make it slower,that's not what you guys are after.

So my guess is that if you guys want more power into the blower got to get both nose & crank pulley for optimus performace & more power
    Dakar was just the begining.

Great analysis Dub.

As of this past Wednesday Alpine in SA was shipping the 5 lb pulley. The price was $65.00 and $10.00 for the bearing $16.00 shipping. Not bad. However, the company wanted wire transfer for payment rather than using a credit card and that cost me $30.00. Bummer but glad to get the OEM pulley.

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    So my guess is that if you guys want more power into the blower got to get both nose & crank pulley for optimus performace & more power
    I would love to have a billet crank piggyback sleeve with interchangable billet pulleys like these guys have...

http://ngmhouseofpower.com/product_i...roducts_id=143

I don't have the math skills required to figure out how much bigger the crank pulley would have to be to provide 6 lb boost, but the whole billet/interchangable thing has me thinkin'......