Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: question to those with Alpine SC

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Arrow

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyapollo View Post
    I'm currently not running the SC - took if off this previous spring due to the horrible drive bearing noise. In my case I previously purchased a complete intake manifold from an Isuzu Trooper - that way I could leave the fuel rails on most of the parts intact on the SC Alpine manifold. It's sitting in a box ready for shipping, unfortunately I got laid off 5 months ago so the SC is still sitting in a box. I put all my old gear back on my original manifold, using the fuel rails from the extra Trooper one - the intake port is actually a different size so it's not a direct swap. I left the tensioning plate on the front of the motor behind the pulley as I intend to eventually get the SC back on there.

I found someone locally who could do the job but never got a response when I called and left several messages. I'm not sure who I'll use at this point.

-- John
    Since I noticed the link in Green Dragons post is dead, I did a little snooping.

I hope any of this will eventually lead to something useful to you...

http://www.thehighspeedlab.com/index.html

Check out all the offered services for Eaton blowers here...

http://www.thehighspeedlab.com/catalog.htm

Here's a "ballpark" HP calculator that's kinda fun to play with...

http://www.superchargersonline.com/hp_calculator.asp

Start at 215 crank HP, Plug in 20 lb boost, 108 octane & a 3 core intercooler, then let your mind wander...
    Last edited by Ldub : 11/29/2009 at 07:08 AM

Red face

HA! As it turns out, You already know all this stuff...

http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...ighlight=eaton

Oh well, the HP calc is still fun to play with...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Since I noticed the link in Green Dragons post is dead, I did a little snooping.
    Yes the link is dead but the telephone number he listed is still answered by the company voice mail (I called it over weekend while closed). So today I'll be searching the resources to determine which direction to take. I have the box of OEM parts in my car and wonder whether my new mechanic has the ability to put it back together given that he did not do the SC install. He could certainly take off the SC and I could send it for repairs if not too price prohibitive. We'll see.
    Scott

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    Reiterating a question from my last post concerning the fuel pressure regulator, but with pictures this time to try to get my point made more clear. Basically, there is a protection bracket (so the workshop manual calls it) surrounding the regulator that houses a wire harness connection and 2 small ports.

(2 and 3 below point to the 2 ports on the protection bracket w/ wire harness port)

Besides getting the right length hosing to finish the install and figuring out where this bracket and these ports fit into the S/C equation, these are really the only things holding me back from finishing. Any out there that installed their own S/Cs got the answer I am looking for?

S/C installs were clearly more simplified on PRE fuel injected cars.
    Dub,

Do you know whether you still have the reference hoses to these numbers? Would be so helpful if you did (example: fuel regulator vacuum to number 1 etc). Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by ScottinMA View Post
    Dub,

Do you know whether you still have the reference hoses to these numbers? Would be so helpful if you did (example: fuel regulator vacuum to number 1 etc). Thanks
    It'll take a bit of digging, but I'll see what I can come up with...

Talking I couldn't resist...

Dub,

Well, I looked at the various shop manuals until I was almost cross eyed, THEN it dawned on me that there is a vacuum hose routing diagram...under the hood.

Smart @$$ directions...

Open hood -> look up ^......

With a bit of head scratching, that should pretty much tell you where everything goes...

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    Well, I looked at the various shop manuals until I was almost cross eyed, THEN it dawned on me that there is a vacuum hose routing diagram...under the hood.

Smart @$$ directions...

Open hood -> look up ^......

With a bit of head scratching, that should pretty much tell you where everything goes...
    That's if you aren't on your 3rd factory hood... like me. Nil a sticker on the hood. *sigh*

I don't envy this task. I was NEVER any good any remembering/memorizing vacuum plumbing. Though, if you know what all the connections are, reverse engineering them is actually not too bad on the VX. Looks like a lot of lines, but it's really not too bad. I have actually "considered" just taking out the S/C and selling to go back to stock it but I think that would lead me to selling the VX. To be honest with ya, the thought continues to haunt me and I do consider it....
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Quote Originally Posted by WormGod View Post
    That's if you aren't on your 3rd factory hood... like me. Nil a sticker on the hood. *sigh*

I don't envy this task. I was NEVER any good any remembering/memorizing vacuum plumbing. Though, if you know what all the connections are, reverse engineering them is actually not too bad on the VX. Looks like a lot of lines, but it's really not too bad. I have actually "considered" just taking out the S/C and selling to go back to stock it but I think that would lead me to selling the VX. To be honest with ya, the thought continues to haunt me and I do consider it....
    Looks like I'd better spiff er up a little & take a few pics for the archives.

Good news and bad news

Dub,

Thanks for all your efforts! I learned that my SC may breath yet again. All the damn noise I've been hearing is due to a loose 5 lb pulley and a bad bearing in the tensioner pulley. There is always a chance that the shaft may be bent as well but he (mechanic) didn't think so but won't know for sure until he gets the parts. Which introduces the bad news. Alpine is gone but there are places out there that service Eaton SC. So the hunt begins, and if I can find the parts I may be back in business. If I can't find the parts or the shaft is found to be bent, then I'm back to installing the OEM system. Thanks to everyone for assisting me.

Wrench

Dub,

Thanks for all your efforts! I learned that my SC may breath yet again. All the damn noise I've been hearing is due to a loose 5 lb pulley and a bad bearing in the tensioner pulley. There is always a chance that the shaft may be bent as well but he (mechanic) didn't think so but won't know for sure until he gets the parts. Which introduces the bad news. Alpine is gone but there are places out there that service Eaton SC. So the hunt begins, and if I can find the parts I may be back in business. If I can't find the parts or the shaft is found to be bent, then I'm back to installing the OEM system. Thanks to everyone for assisting me.
    FWIW...the NSK part # for the S/C tensioner pulley bearing is:

6301C3 OR 630IC3...depending on wether my illegible writing meant 1 or I...

OK...just found out for sure, it is a 1...http://vehicross.info/forums/showpos...77&postcount=2
    Last edited by Ldub : 12/01/2009 at 07:49 AM

[QUOTE
    OK...just found out for sure, it is a 1...http://vehicross.info/forums/showpos...77&postcount=2[/QUOTE]

Dub you are the man! I've been calling everywhere trying to get these parts. Is the Alpine SC (I have one of earliest versions) a Eaton M62? Now if I could just find a SC pulley...

Potential new link to Alpine Developments

I just discovered this link in my search to discover how I might be able to get in touch with this company. Sent email (couldn't find a phone number) and await response.

http://www.alpine-developments.com/

I've tried several different numbers in the past and was never able go get in touch with anyone or get any response via email. Your best bet is to find a machinist who can look up the raw part numbers.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyapollo View Post
    I've tried several different numbers in the past and was never able go get in touch with anyone or get any response via email. Your best bet is to find a machinist who can look up the raw part numbers.

-- John
    I'll take that advice. Since running without the SC turning over the past couple days I've been disappointed by the noticeable decrease in performance. I've been so accustomed to the SC that I'm now feeling more desperate than ever to find the parts to keep it in tact rather than retrofitting back to the OEM set-up.

I'll take that advice. Since running without the SC turning over the past couple days I've been disappointed by the noticeable decrease in performance. I've been so accustomed to the SC that I'm now feeling more desperate than ever to find the parts to keep it in tact rather than retrofitting back to the OEM set-up.
    Scott, if you are currently running with the SC installed, but not turning over, there would be quite a large drop in performance.
    All the intake air has to find its way through the stationary SC.

Going back to OEM setup will still be a drop in performance, but nowhere near as much as the stationary SC.

PK
    Now that food has replaced sex in my life -

I can't even get into my own pants!!