Thread: Winter anomalies: Brake Warning Light, Idler pulley

Winter anomalies: Brake Warning Light, Idler pulley

I parked my '01 VX outside in the cold (below 0)overnight for the first time Sunday and last night and have a couple of questions:

1. There was no braking for the first few seconds (very hard pedal) and then ok. However, the dash brake warning light is on, normal braking while driving, and went off after about 6 miles of driving. No light yesterday after in being parked in garage. However, this morning same symptoms after overnight outside. Shut off motor and restarted, brake warning light still on. Fluid level is good.

2. Is idler pulley on upper left of engine supposed to turn or does belt just slide over it?

3. After cold night there is a whistle or slight howl from front (?) of engine which disappears when warms up.

Does anyone have any suggestions or answers?

Thanks.

Can't really address your brake problem other than it might be a consequence of cold temperatures causing piston in master cylinder to bind (?), but can tell you that the idler pulley is definitely supposed to be turning. If the belt is just sliding over the pulley, the belt is not long for this world! that could also explain the noise you are hearing...

Weird, We have the same problem with the brake light being on the same way too! Hmmm...

Low brake fluid and probably a failing fan clutch or idler. I have a spare idler if you can isolate it to that. Email me if you need it.

I'd agree with Tone that it's probably low brake fluid and then also add in that there could be just a little bit of moisture in the reservoir which is then icing on the sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by scarpezio
    3. After cold night there is a whistle or slight howl from front (?) of engine which disappears when warms up.
    I think mine did something similar a couple of weeks ago when it got REALLY cold (below freezing for sure), but it sounded more like a long "beep" from an electronic device. When I disconnected the battery, it kept going until it gradually stopped. When I reconnected the battery, it started back immediately. I left it disconnected for a couple of days, and it hasn't come back (nor has it been below freezing). Does this sound like the same problem?
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers