Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Online in the garage!?

Online in the garage!?

Well, I've heard a couple of you have done it, and it finally happened.

I was in the garage working on VX/bikes and wanted some music (no radio around) and I was working on a project that had me continually hopping online and referencing different threads.....having a Verizon aircard (wireless highspeed anywhere), I brought the laptop into the garage, hopped online and was:

1. Listening to decent music
    2. Referencing project tools instructions and aids.
    3. Being notified of new mail.
    4. Able to IM buddies with questions.

All while working in the garage.

I can't decide if that makes me cool, dorky, or just tech addicted....

Can I get an "Amen" from my tech peeps....

Loard praise Baby Jesus...Amen

You don't have a wireless (802.11) card in your laptop? Sometimes we stream FOX shows over wireless to a laptop in the bedroom if we don't feel like watching the TV in the living room. Wow, I'm a big dork too then.
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

hah heres dorky for ya... when i was doing my rear door popper install, i hooked my laptop up to my video monitor so i had the instructions on that screen which was easier to see than trying to balance my laptop on the seat or putting it on the ground where itd get smooshed... since then ive added a wireless keyboard and mouse so that i can just use my indash monitor as my computer screen to use aim, surf the web etc (while parked of course..) makes it look like my VX has a built in computer
    Last edited by etlsport : 02/07/2007 at 08:10 AM

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    CHURCH!

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

You see, its not like it used to be. Computers are in now, technology is hip, and its cool to be a nerd! So rock on.

Bart

PS - I once saw a shirt that said "I was uncool before uncool was cool". I should have bought it, since I have been a nerd all along...

Sweet, next you'll do what I did. Put a toilet and a big tub sink in the shop (which comes in very handy). Of course my shop is only 200sq ft smaller than my house so that makes it a little easier to do things like that when your playing with 2k sq ft shop with a 10ft ceiling. Throw the TV up on the wall and my friends wonder why I'd ever go in the house, I tell them to eat of course. Next on my list is a car lift, just really hard to justify it being that I only work on family and my vehicles.

I agree though, internet in the shop is a wonderful thing. I just ran mine from the wireless router thats in the house.
    "You can live your life in a thousand ways,
    but it all comes down to that single day,
    when you realize what you regret,
    but you cant relaim and you cant forget."
    ----Trans Siberian Orchestra

isnt it kinda expensive to use?

I've gone completely wireless....ditched the DSL/cable at home, and unlimited high speed mobile is $59.95 a month. I just connect whenever and wherever I have my laptop for music or email or whatever....the log shows I average about 6 hours a day online.

I can surf from my car, the can, a mountaintop, a boat on a lake. I figured that's the direction I wanted to go so I'm never tied down to one location, never wishing I had access to check email or send someone something.

It's GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Woo Hoo!

WWWWOOOOOOOOOO HHHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Friggin' WWWWWWWOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO
    !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Talking

Well then call me a nerd!

This past weekend i did the remote antenna mod (btw for the new comers, a very well recommended mod!) and instead of printing the instructions i just took my lappy out to the VX, ooh, and had my mp3 running while chatting to a friend.

@nfpgasmask
    I was uncool before uncool was cool t-shirt - i had one several years back! but it was in a different font.
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

Thats cool Bim, I have considered dropping my landline all toghether also but never had quite made the leap (mainly the wife).

Exclamation

be weary! i dropped my landline (or rather when i moved never got it hooked up) and i lost my phone saturday and was up @*$! creek w/o a paddle for a few days.. no way to get ahold of anyone, got another phone now, but it was a rough couple days

Amen!

Last year I listened to most of Le Mans whilst working on my 2CV in the garage (project now aborted.. ) and I have this picture of me, well, tearing apart the deash' of the Yaris to fit a radar detector...

A

Nice! Thanks for the link!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Knigh7s
    @nfpgasmask
    I was uncool before uncool was cool t-shirt - i had one several years back! but it was in a different font.

Yeah, I'm all about being hard wired still. As a gamer and avid downloader, wireless just doesn't cut the mustard. Its ok for traveling, but full time at home, no way...

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by etlsport
    be weary! i dropped my landline (or rather when i moved never got it hooked up) and i lost my phone saturday and was up @*$! creek w/o a paddle for a few days.. no way to get ahold of anyone, got another phone now, but it was a rough couple days