Thread: Parking/Running lights replacements

Parking/Running lights replacements

I just installed some HIDs and now my parking/running lights look like a pair of weak candles and I want to fix it. I have looked through the forum and I know some people are running the Malibu Home Depot lights and others are using LEDs and others, god knows what else. My question is what have you found to be the brightest/whitest, without burning/melting/discoloring you lenses? Is there something conclusive or is it just preference? I drive with the parking lights on almost all the time since it is hooked up to my rear camera, so I'd like something that looks more like a running light than a parking light.

Lightbulb

I just installed those 18w Malibu bulbs today. Like, an hour ago! So I don't have any long-term experience yet.

If my VX explodes because of the higher-wattage lights, I'll be sure to post in here. But everyone ELSE who did this says there are no problems.

Oh, and I checked the brightness after installing just one 18w bulb (leaving the stock 3w bulb on the passenger side) and MAN there's a huge difference! I wonder why Isuzu went with a 3w bulb in the first place?!?

I put in some of the PIAA 18 W Xtreme white bulbs back in November. They have a nice light blue color when lit. The cold bulb color is very much blue. Here is a link to some on eBay right now: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/PIAA-...spagenameZWDVW

I just went out to the garage and pulled the housings out of the cladding to verify the wattage. Interestingly, on both bulbs, there was a spot where the blue paint had bubbled. When touched, the paint just flaked off. Now, I am wondering if these are truly OEM bulbs or some cheap rip-offs.

Anyhow, these look real good with the 4800K headlight bulbs I got from Tone.

Henry

2000, Victory White, IronMan edition, #0329

Thumbs up new model 'matrix' 194 LED bulbs

Quote Originally Posted by Ascinder
    I just installed some HIDs and now my parking/running lights look like a pair of weak candles and I want to fix it. I have looked through the forum and I know some people are running the Malibu Home Depot lights and others are using LEDs and others, god knows what else. My question is what have you found to be the brightest/whitest, without burning/melting/discoloring you lenses? Is there something conclusive or is it just preference? I drive with the parking lights on almost all the time since it is hooked up to my rear camera, so I'd like something that looks more like a running light than a parking light.

There are new 'matrix' 194 LED bulbs on the autolumination site.... I got mine about 2 weeks ago...
    http://autolumination.com/194.htm - top most listing...

They have 3 high output diodes on each of the 5 sides... MUCH more intense than the ones I have in my horn lights...

I have them in my triangular amber running lights and rear red marker lights.

The look in the triangular wedge is really cool.. gives somewhat of a 3D appearance to it.

only downside is that they are $10 a piece...

When using LEDs always match the LED color to the lens color..

All of my external lighting has now been replaced with LED except for the headlights (obviously) the round lights below the headlights (they are PIAA 18w bulbs) and the reverse lights... (I don't know if I should use white 20 LED towers, 3 1watt LED, or 1 3watt LEDs for them)
    Last edited by Spike : 02/06/2007 at 07:05 PM
    ~ ~ ~
    Van Eyes - slightly trimmed, Sylvania SilverStar ULTRA head lamps, Red (port) & green (starboard) 5 LED 'headlight horn' lights, PIAA silicone windshield wipers, K&N Filtercharger (in stock air box), MacNeil WeatherFlectors, Assorted cargo nets from previous vehicles, Optima red-top battery, Transmission Interceptor, 20 LED 'light tower' turn signals & brake lights, 18W PIAA W2 running lights, Trooper skid plates, Black Luverne step bars w/Tone's custom brackets