View Poll Results: Who is planning to be at the VX Run?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'll be there!

14 82.35%
  • It's a maybe right now.

1 5.88%
  • Cant make this one.

2 11.76%
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: VX only run

I got one word for ya buddy....

RELAX!

Chuck Wells errs on the WAY conservative side as to not get people in over their heads.

Most of these guys have done this trail before, and all you need to do is enjoy yourself, listen to the spotter and watch what the VX in front of you does and you will be fine.

Are there possibilities, YES absolutely, this is an assumed risk activity and things can and do happen. Does it happen frequently? No.

Ive been out there doing these runs for several years, this one makes seven. Often times twice a year in Moab (May/Novemeber). Through all that time, I dont recall more than a double handful of instances for damage through a standard trail run. Some of the more catastrophic failures are attributed to more hardcore trails, and taking more risk with some of the more nutty guys. I do not see that in this group.

Feel free to bounce questions off of me.
    Take care,
    Keith
    Do not meddle in the affairs of dragons for you are crunchy and taste good with ketchup.

Talking

Cool, I am perfectly patient when it comes to negotiating tough spots, and I have no problem taking those spots slowly and carefully. I just don't want to hurt my baby (and my only means of transportation).

The trail sounds awesome and I cannot wait to take in some of the scenery. I need to get my spare and roof rack asap.

Other than that, I pretty much have all the gear I need!

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Triathlete
    I would say most of those books OVERRATE the trails a bit. This trail has been done as the VX run before and had STOCK VX's with road tires do just fine. If you trust your spotter and pick the right line you'll have no problems. If you are unsure...I recomend you follow other vehicles set up like yours and watch the line they take. Elephant hill is rated a 3.5 which equates to intermediate. HERE is a great place for tril descriptions (including elephant hill) and ratings.
    Keep in mind you can get damage on even the easiest of trails if you are not paying attention...but as long as you pay attention, pick the ears of those with experience, and have a little faith in your driving skills and your VX you will be just fine.

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask
    Ummm, yeah, like you should have blacked out the bit about "body damage", and the bit about "high ground clearance, skid plates, and rocker panel protection", all of which I do not have....

I'm not saying I'm scared, but their ain't no way I am putting my VX into a hazardous position that it is not suited for...

So is this guide exagerating a tad or should I start getting worried?

The only non-stock mod I have that might help are my BFG A/Ts. No lift, no skid plates, nada.

Bart
    It's probably a bit exagerated, but also is refering to other stock trucks with 20" wheels and low ground clearance. I don't really consider the stock VX in the same category as other stock trucks like Jeeps and Toyotas.

Last year I was same as you, no armour - no lift, scared to death of body damage, and came out clean.

You'll be fine, the common advice is; listen to the trail lead, accept advice, follow another VX that is similarly equiped to you, and don't rush.

Last year's VX run included Gold Bar Rim, it has a similar diffuculty rating.

Take a scan through this post to see other trails from 2006...
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=8822

Thanks again fellas....im excited.

Bart

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    Kenny, kenny, kenny... don't scare folks! geesh.

Elephant hill is cake. bust out the wine and cheese, and put in a DVD of your choosing and let the VX do its thing!

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car

Talking

Elephant Hill is great! Many of us did that trail with stock tires and no lift. No problem!!
    Anita
    2000 Ebony #263
    Original Owner- love her too much to part with her.
    AnitaProtich.com

Thumbs up

Now these are the kind of replies I was looking for!!!

Bart

I guess you can call me a realist of sorts.. would rather give you both sides of the coin to consider and let you make your choice and be relieved when you come through unscathed rather than sugar coating everything and giving a false sense of security and have you be upset should something minor happen. Either way, I don't expect that you will suffer catastrophic failure. Maybe some UT pin striping, scratched cladding, or a flat, but thats about it.

So, what time are you guys planning to hit the trailhead on Tue?
    I had planned to run this trail on our way into Moab this year as well, and right now we are up in the air for either Mon or Tue. A lot depends upon whether we spend two or three days on Hole in The Rock.

We are leaving Friday and hitting Capital Reef (including the cathedral area loop), along with the northern section of Hole in the Rock to Lake Powell. Also want to hit Natural Bridges, that may be Mon evening after running the difficult southern portion of Hole in the Rock. If so, I wil loop around and probably intercept you guys at some point on Tue.

2000 Ebony VX #263 ****** VX-2 My weekend car
    Reality has a place here. If you dont want to get a scratch, ding, bang on your VX, dont do it. But chances are that you will get through it all unscathed and have a blast. The reality is anything is possible.. scratched/gauged cladding from rough brush or rocks, a nip at your rims, etc, etc.... or NOTHING. I've gone twice to Moab and my VX suffered no permanent injuries.

I'll be in Moab Monday and Tuesday but I have to make the journey back west on Wednesday

Bart

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    I'm currently working with Tom (tomdietrying) to figure out meeting time/place.

stay tuned.

-biju.

Even with some of the trails I've been on in my 2 trips to ZuZoo I have come away with only a little cosmetic damage...a front parking light the first year (when an unseen rock jumped out from nowhere on an easy obstacle on Poison Spider) and a few scrapes on the cladding last year (see Hells Gate photos). Other than that everything else just buffed out!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Thumbs up

Locomigo,
    If you are going to be at Natural Bridges on Monday, you might want to 4x4 Hotel Rock Indian Ruins with a couple of us and drive to Canyonlands N.P. the next day (Tuesday) for Elephant Hill. Let me know if you might be interested.
    Peace.
    Tom
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    The 3 times I took my truck to Moab, no damage!
    Ask forgiveness, not permission.

Quote Originally Posted by tomdietrying
    Locomigo,
    If you are going to be at Natural Bridges on Monday, you might want to 4x4 Hotel Rock Indian Ruins with a couple of us and drive to Canyonlands N.P. the next day (Tuesday) for Elephant Hill. Let me know if you might be interested.
    Peace.
    Tom
    Tom, thanks for the offer.
    Unfortunately, I think that I will not be able to meet up with you that day. Here is why: a group of us are meeting up Sunday morning to run Hole in the Rock, we will get to the end of the trail @ Gray Mesa overlooking Lake Powell that evening to set up camp and return out the next day (Monday).

It is my hope that I will have enough time on Monday afternoon/evening to explore Natural Bridges and set up camp. Those trails/areas seem really cool and I would love to meet up with that, but I just dont see that I wil have enough time.

Where are you departing from Tuesday morning and what time?

Ive got a couple buddies that will be in Moab during the weekend and are coming down to meet up with us on Tuesday to run the trail, so we could have a decent turn out there. At this time, I have potential of 7 rigs (2 from Moab, and 5 of us running Hole in the Rock).

Thanks for the info though, it is appreciated. If we can make it work out, I will let you know.