View Poll Results: Who is planning to be at the VX Run?

Voters
17. You may not vote on this poll
  • I'll be there!

14 82.35%
  • It's a maybe right now.

1 5.88%
  • Cant make this one.

2 11.76%
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread: VX only run

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moncha
    When I decide to go...
    funny...

Glad to know you're going. Now when you 'decide to go' hope you can make the convoy/BBQ!

Stay well.

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

Well, all I can say is that if there is a VX Only Run, I will be that much more into it. I really want to go...

Bart

Thumbs up

I'll lead the VX Run. I'll need a tail gunner. Any volunteers??????

I think from reading the previous post the general consences is Elephant Hill? That's a fun 3.5 trail. Beginners will have a blast.

Peace.
    Tom

P.S.
    There are always a couple of ex VXers that bring their other ride and enjoy the fun with us. I think last year the ratio was 15/2.
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

Quote Originally Posted by tomdietrying
    I think from reading the previous post the general consences is Elephant Hill? That's a fun 3.5 trail. Beginners will have a blast.
    Tom lead. Moncha lead. Tom & Moncha co-lead - doesn't matter! If we do this, Zu noobs pay attention: YOU DO NOT WANT TO MISS ELEPHANT HILL...!!! It's the most fun, exhilarating, scenic, pee in your pants*, adrenaline rush in/around Moab for first time VX offroadsters... (IMO). When I did Elephant Hill I could have gone straight home and been perfectly content with my sense of accomplishment. (Can you tell that run made an impression on me?)

* Note: Volume of pee may vary by individual, rig driven and beer consumed the night before.

Although, I'd be happy with any run really... it's all a good time.

-biju.

Thumbs up

I second and third that! One of the most fun trails I've ever run in Moab. If Todd had never taken us on it, I doubt that any of us would have run it as the start alone looks much more difficult than it really is but it ain't no cake walk either... And not too many places to get lost IIRC.

Thumbs up

I missed a post. I didn't realize Scott(Moncha) said he wanted to lead the VX Run. Scott has been to way more ZuZus than me. This is only my third. Plus he's the brains behind this board. I would be honored if Scott led this years VX Run.
    Peace.
    Tom

updates?

Tom/Scott: Any updates on this? Are we/can we do elephant hill for the VX Run?

What's the back-up trail if all else fails?

Thanks guys...

-biju.

Yeah...

...I am a little curious about the plan as well. I would very much like to see this with my own eyes:

Bart

Thumbs up

I can lead Elephant Hill @ Canyonlands N.P. on Tuesday 5/15/07. I think Scott (Moncha from Colorado) would like to lead this trail, and I would like for him to lead if that's what he would like to do. Just let me know.

Here's a thought of anyone going to Moab from the south or west..........like Texas,New Mexico, Arizona,Nevada, or southern Cali. You are more than welcome come along and do as much or as little as you want.

I think Scott Harness (Dallas) might do some of this. Saterday evening go to a mountain hot spring (this is really cool) in northern New Mexico. On the 13th, take a small hike to the Citadel. It's an Indian dwelling that sit on the top of a mesa. They built it up there for defensive reasons. It's absolutly breath taking! It's located in the Cedar Mesa area in southern Utah ................I've been wanting to do this for a long time. May 14th do a 4x4 trip to Hotel Rock in the Cedar Mesa area. A couple of years ago Todd Adams made this a VX Run. This one is A LOT of fun. Finally on May 15th, meet up with the other VXs for the 2007 VX Run in Canyonlands N.P. then to Moab.

Like I said....all are welcome.......do as much or as little....it will be good to meet up with anyone.

Peace.
    Tom
    Last edited by tomdietrying : 04/05/2007 at 06:34 AM

I've been out of the loop and just saw this thread. I did E-Hill 5 years ago, and I still think about that place - I really did "get my thrill on Elephant Hill"! Todd Adams is one of the most skilled offroaders I know (and I know a few!), but he has alway been an excellent tour guide with extensive geologic, political, environmental and historical knowledge of the area. We'll miss you, Todd!

Fortunately, Tom and or Scott are willing to step up; thanks guys! I'm willing to help out with this run, too, but, like I said, it's been 5 years. I suggest that we meet at Moab McDonald's (good landmark) Tuesday morning and caravan to Canyonlands. IIRC the run needs to be kept as informal and spontaneous as possible, because the Park Service will not allow organized (ZuZoo-like) runs. Todd would likely have good advice for the trail leader.
    Rick "Baxman" LaMarche
    Supercharged, Dynamated. SCCA Oregon Region rallycross class winner

Quote Originally Posted by nfpgasmask
    ...I am a little curious about the plan as well. I would very much like to see this with my own eyes:

Bart
    Joint trail is great.I believe it is in Canyonlands National Park(needles district) looks just like your picture.It will be in any hiking pamplets.Stop by the info center
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Thumbs up

Biju,
    I sent you a pm.
    Peace.
    Tom

Elephant Hill Write Up

Excerpt from my guide:

Probably should have blacked out some text so as not to scare anyone..

Just pick the right line.

Ummm, yeah, like you should have blacked out the bit about "body damage", and the bit about "high ground clearance, skid plates, and rocker panel protection", all of which I do not have....

I'm not saying I'm scared, but their ain't no way I am putting my VX into a hazardous position that it is not suited for...

So is this guide exagerating a tad or should I start getting worried?

The only non-stock mod I have that might help are my BFG A/Ts. No lift, no skid plates, nada.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Kenny
    Excerpt from my guide:

Probably should have blacked out some text so as not to scare anyone..

Just pick the right line.
    Last edited by nfpgasmask : 04/10/2007 at 10:47 AM Reason: change

I would say most of those books OVERRATE the trails a bit. This trail has been done as the VX run before and had STOCK VX's with road tires do just fine. If you trust your spotter and pick the right line you'll have no problems. If you are unsure...I recomend you follow other vehicles set up like yours and watch the line they take. Elephant hill is rated a 3.5 which equates to intermediate. HERE is a great place for tril descriptions (including elephant hill) and ratings.
    Keep in mind you can get damage on even the easiest of trails if you are not paying attention...but as long as you pay attention, pick the ears of those with experience, and have a little faith in your driving skills and your VX you will be just fine.
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)