Thread: Mysterious engine shutdown

'01, Dragon Mica Green NO MORE, 1393 SOLD

Mysterious engine shutdown

Today, no more than 5 minutes from the time I started the motor and left home for a fishing trip, my VX shut down completely just as I started to cross an intersection from a stop. No warnings or unusual noises. The motor just died. This is the first and only time my VX has done this so far. I tried to restart it immediately and got no responses at all. The starter didn't even crank. I switched it off and waited a few seconds more than the first time and it fired right up without hesitation as if nothing had happened.

It's a good thing I wasn't on Interstate 5 yet when this happened... was only on the approach to the on-ramp.

Any ideas? A message from God?

Something similar happened to me shortly after acquiring the VX. For me, a new fuel filter stopped it.

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

Johnny, was it really the fuel filter? Did it happen constantly and stopped when you changed the filter? Was it truely traced back to the filter?

Only wondering as this is like the third time I've heard about this, and the first time I've heard anyone give an absolute fix.

I had the same problem, the shop replaced my ideling air control valve. Goes like a charm again!

Hmm... if it's the fuel filter... why did it not crank the first time? which leads me to think it's some weird electrical problem. ECU hickup? But, if I can get a new fuel filter under warranty and idling air control valve... why not.

With it not cranking I would think something like the anti theft or neutral switch. Don't know why the switch would cause it to stall though? Very strange. Any codes or mil light? Fuel filter or iac valve won't cause it not to crank.
    Andy from Isuzu America

I think my problem was a little different. I always assumed it was some type of blockage caused by trash stuck in the filter. It would stop dead, then crank back up, very mysteriously. I put a new filter in there and it stopped doing it.

His issue is a bit different in that it has to sit for a bit for the cranking to work. Does sound electrical. Sorry for the confusion, I didn't read the post closely enough.

-- John

Originally posted by andy454
    With it not cranking I would think something like the anti theft or neutral switch. Don't know why the switch would cause it to stall though? Very strange. Any codes or mil light? Fuel filter or iac valve won't cause it not to crank.
    Yeah... I did think of our sketchy alarm system but uncertain how it could be the cause. Perhaps somehow the starter kill kicked in, but that still doesn't seem to be the complete picture. No mil light. Don't know about codes... haven't scanned it yet. Where's the OBD port anyway? I'm sure it's in the book somewhere but don't recall seeing it.

It should be under the dash on the left hand side. I had AutoZone do a check for me a while back, and the guy had to go under and in a little further than I thought he would need to to get to the port, but it's there.