Thread: WOW! -55F+Aluminum Rims= 0 psi

Exclamation WOW! -55F+Aluminum Rims= 0 psi

We're having quite a cold snap here.
    Did a about 350mi of driving today and on my last stop I walk back to the VX and see the rear tire completely flat - -. I must have happened after I parked because you could tell it was flat while driving afterwards. Luckily a tire shop was just across the way, so I hobbled over.

It seems to them the aluminum rim didn't like the cold too much and lost the seal along the rim in a big way. They say it's not uncommon, especially after a few years after they were placed on the rim. The bead seal goop breaks down and corrosion - white powdery stuff - accumulates, add super cold temps and "POP!". Well, more like a fast PSSSSSSSssss!.

Well, thought I'd give a heads up to anyone with aluminum rims and having some cold temps, keep an eye out...

Cheers.

Pssssssssssssssssssst, Hey you, got any extra air?

Bummer, but yeah, great that you could hobble over and it fixed. I know that cold weather does shrink the volume of air in the tire in the first place, that might also lead to problems.
    If you don't first THINK THINK, you could end up in deep DO DO!

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    glad to hear it worked out, Kenny. thanks for the reminder to watch the PSI in this cold snap... will do!

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

-55F, huh? Wow!! I don't think any of us in the lower 48 will have to worry about those types of temps, but good to know. And I was complaining when it got down to +20F in my area last night. Thanks for the tip!
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers