Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Questions about Subwoofers and Amps

Questions about Subwoofers and Amps

What size amp should i put on the back of a box with 2 ,10inch 1100watt each subs so 2200watt total? to make it push a lot of and still sound good. Thanks for all help

Too add to that what is a good brand of amp and woofers from those who have had experience? is sony xplod any good?

Xplod is good. CDT Audio and JL Audio also make great subs. I've got a CDT Audio 10" sub mounted in the rear-door spare tire space, in an enclosure custom-built for me by Shawn from this forum (username = psychos2). I love it!

I bought a 400 watt Blaupunkt subwoofer amp from Fry's, on sale, and I'm completely happy with the sound. I didn't change my stock speakers; just added the amp and the subwoofer. The system sounds a million times better now.
    OEM roof rack, Thule Xpedition 696 rack, Rancho RS9000 shocks, OME 913 coil springs, 3" lift, American Racing Teflon Chambers wheels, Yokohama Geolandar HT/S G051 tires (275/70/16), Energy Suspension greaseable bushings, steel-braided Kevlar-reinforced brake lines, WeatherTech wind deflectors, Malibu 18w driving lights, Plasma SuperWhite 100w headlights, NGK Iridium plugs, K&N drop-in air filter, Optima Red Top, Psychos2 rear-door subwoofer enclosure w/CDT Audio 10" sub, Blaupunkt subwoofer amp, iPod Video 80GB, Kenwood KVT-617 DVD head unit w/7" motorized touch-screen, Kenwood GPS HD navigation module, Kenwood iPod adapter, Kenwood back-up camera, Sirius radio, Flowmaster Extreme Off-Road muffler (black diamond-plate steel) w/ carbon fiber tip, Ford Taurus OEM cup-holder/coin tray (single-DIN/lower bay), personalized license plate "ORBITAL", 3M window tint, debadged, removed rear seat, custom 'radiation symbol' side magnetic signs, VX Concepts front skid plate

I have 1 JLaudio 12w6 with a USAMPS 400X. What subs are you using? shawn
    1COOLVX

i dont care for sony mobile audio... for subs it should be okay though... you need to give better specs on the subs to get a good recomendation.. im guessing yours subs arent 1100 watts rms.. u need to find out if they are recommended for 2 ohms or 4 ohms and what the rms at those resistances are.. then you can match up an amp to similar numbers... the best way to get good sound from subs is a good box.. wiring is also important to make sure you are getting the most power to your subs

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

uh....stay away from sony car audio.....

Quote Originally Posted by MZ-N10
    I have had many sony car stereos and have had no problems. The speakers sound better than stock. But I would use a sub of better quality. shawn

Quote Originally Posted by MZ-N10

Yeah...I agree...I have nothing but trouble with sony...And many of my buddies have made the mistake of purchasing the Xplod system which happened to do just that...Explode! All over the place. IMO...sony is the Ford of the Audio industry.

Take a looky at this...it's the 4th link down due to censorship.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....=sony_bull****

Quote Originally Posted by VXIRONwoMAN
    Yeah...I agree...I have nothing but trouble with sony...And many of my buddies have made the mistake of purchasing the Xplod system which happened to do just that...Explode! All over the place. IMO...sony is the Ford of the Audio industry.

Take a looky at this...it's the 4th link down due to censorship.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse....=sony_bull****
    What does that have to do with car stereos?????? Laptops and psp's??? Does not sound like car stereos to me. shawn

Quote Originally Posted by psychos2
    What does that have to do with car stereos?????? Laptops and psp's??? Does not sound like car stereos to me. shawn

It has to do with sony products being poorly made. I have had first hand experience myself, along with some of my friends. For those who have had bad experiences with sony would find the link humorous...

Surprisingly true. I used to swear by Sony, but it seems since their success with the PS2, they let their other products go to hell. Maybe since the PS3 is a joke, they will go back to their roots, heh.

JLAudio FTW!!! My VX system is all JL, Alpine, and Rockford Fosgate. Looking to dump the Rockford gear since its almost all blown. They simply couldnt hang with the JLs in there.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Ok since there is speculation bout sony. For those who have or had xplod woofers how do they do. And for those else which sub and amp do you recommmend that will bump good....?

i have rockford fosgate 8" subs in a custom made enclosure perfectly to manufacturers specs and they hit hard people have a hard time believing they are only 8"s.. of course they dont shake the neighborhood.. but you definately feel it in your chest and im only running 120 watts RMS to each...

ive also run infinity subs with nice results, not in my VX though..

other brands i would coonsider for subs... JL (although they are overpriced imho) MTX, and JBL.. im sure there is stuff better than that but those are the brands ive had experience with and have been pleased with

brands i havent had good subwoofer luck with/havent heard good things... visionik.. sony.. legacy.. audiobahn

i have visonik now 2 10's there pretty good but i want more power and bump so they will be hitting the market soon for sale.

Hard to make a recommendation without a budget.

It sounds like you want spl over sq.

John C.