Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: WINDOWS : Friendly service reminder!

Hey all,

I'm a newbie...only had my vx for about a week. I've noticed the windows are much slower going up than they are going down. Will lubricating solve this problem or am I looking at a different problem?

Could someone explain again how to do it as if I were sitting in the driver seat (as reference)? I couldn't quite understand the previous instructions.

Thanks
    ---------

Ty

Ty, do this. put your right hand vertically in front of you with a straight wrist, about 2 inches from you belly. That's your window. Now with your left hand, make a 'C' around your right fingers, That's the track your window runs up and down in and binds. That's what you want to lube, both the front one and the rear one. okay
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

I think the used car dealer lubed my windows before we picked up my truck this past Monday. I remember when I test drove it they were sluggish and I searched and read all about window woes on here. Then the day we picked it up I noticed the drivers window went up and down so fast it startled me the first time and the passenger window went up evenly instead of one side dropping like it had. But I do plan to get me some window lube soon so I can keep them running smooth as long as possible.

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.

Fall

Winter's right around the corner. Lube people! (snicker..)

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

I may take mine a step further and just take the door panel
    off. Clean the track from the inside, and then lubricate them.
    The panel comes off in a few minutes.

Door panel removal?

Do you need a special tool for that? People fixing my window cracked the handle portion of my door, and for the future I was wondering about taking the inside of the door off for mnt. purposes.

they do sell a special tool for it.. looks like this..

only like 6-7 bucks at auto parts stores, i had one but lost it.. now i just use a large flat tipped screwdriver covered in electrical tape to protect the paint

I orrdered a set of those metal brackets on another thread. They're for window binding problems that sprung up the last year. I finally got around to pulling off the door panels. Turns out the tabs are okay. Just needed lube. Haha...didn't realize lube changed things that much. No more forward tilt. Well, the metal tab bracket is still a good item...I probably won't use...anything vx related still gets my money.

LUBE! i couldn't understand how lube could possibly remove the forward tilt. I tried spraying down the forward track, because that's what's binding, i thought. bah...must be a broken tab I keep hearing about. Turns out that just lubing the center (inside the door) changed the window fuunction completely. haha. I believe you, I believe you now!
    THIS WE'LL DEFEND

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    Quote Originally Posted by spaceCADETzoom View Post
    I orrdered a set of those metal brackets on another thread. They're for window binding problems that sprung up the last year. I finally got around to pulling off the door panels. Turns out the tabs are okay. Just needed lube. Haha...didn't realize lube changed things that much. No more forward tilt. Well, the metal tab bracket is still a good item...I probably won't use...anything vx related still gets my money.

LUBE! i couldn't understand how lube could possibly remove the forward tilt. I tried spraying down the forward track, because that's what's binding, i thought. bah...must be a broken tab I keep hearing about. Turns out that just lubing the center (inside the door) changed the window fuunction completely. haha. I believe you, I believe you now!
    LUBE. IT'S THE GOSPEL!!!!

Glad it helped your situation.

-beej.

Exclamation Bump

Hey.. thought I would bump this ttt.. there are alot of new family members and I know this had a lot of information in it.. Thanks Biju.. miss ya man

"Could someone explain again how to do it as if I were sitting in the driver seat (as reference)? I couldn't quite understand the previous instructions."

Anyone still confused - anywhere glass meets rubber, lube it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Put a smiley after you say that Bub.

Quote Originally Posted by Chopper View Post
    With the windows up, jam the little red straw toward what you invision to be the lower corner of the glass. When you bump into the metal track (an inch or so) spray away... don't spray like you're paying for it. Soak it good. Repeat for the rear track. Put the window down and do the slots the glass rides in. Soak it good. Run the window up and down a few times. Smile at improved operation. Have a beer to celebrate just how skilled and clever you are. Have a beer to celebrate the first beer. Repeat the two final steps as many times as necessary, and as often as possible.
    This is a very good description.. including the beer

bump!! dont know about the rest of you but we've had rain rain and more rain recently, the humidity is starting to take its toll on my window tracks, theyre starting to slow slightly, so time to break the rags and lube out!

also probably a good time to grab the grease gun and get some clean grease in your drive shaft joints and sway bar bushings (if you upgraded them that is..) i just greased all 3 points (3 on the drive shaft and 4 bushings) and my vx is quieter than ever

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"

I lube my tracks about ones a month. It mite be a bit excessive but silicone spray is cheep.
    Cars designed by spreadsheets make sense. Cars designed by engineers make history.

2001Proton 1432, ex 2001 Dragon Green Mica 0168 (RIP May 2017)
    I did this today so I thought I'd bump this thread...lots of new folks here like me that may not know about doing this as a regular maintenance item...
    Last edited by Mile High VX : 06/08/2010 at 12:35 PM
    Live, Love, Forgive and Never Give Up