Thread: trailer hitch survey

trailer hitch survey

im trying to decide on what kind of hitch is best. please give me your opinion and a picture if you have one. Looks like Tone is my choice right now, does anybody have a reason i shouldnt go with his hitch?

My hitch requires a bit more work to install.

I would have to say go with Tones hitch....
    I like mine, it's stronger than sin, but his is out of the way and doesn't stick out like a sore thumb. Not to mention the fact that Tones is truely made for a Vx. On the other hand, I have to say that mine has saved my cladding and gas tank on more than several occasions.
    Its the thrill of the chase

Previous owner of:1999 White Vehicross Ironman 1970

Thumbs up Hitch

I installed Tone's hitch on mine. It does take a little work to get it on but it looks great after its all done... I use it to tow a 2002 Yamaha XLT800 Waverunner. Works great for me, no complaints!!
    The price you pay to be different......

My boat weighs in at about 2,500 lbs (dry) and I've chosen not to use the VX to tow. Not because of the engine/drivetrain/brakes, which I'm certain have the guts to muster that much power and control, but because of the wheelbase, which is most definitely why the mfr chose not to rate it for towing at all. I compare it to the Jeep Wrangler, which I've heard has the same brakes, powertrain, etc., as the larger-wheelbase Cherokee of old, but is rated only 1,500 lb towing to the Cherokee's 3,500, all because of wheelbase. After speaking with many, many people who towed with Wranglers, they all seem to admit that they wouldn't want to take a 2,000 trailer through any sort of turn going 60 MPH because the load starts to drive the truck, instead of the other way around, and you can lose control of steering. I'm sure many here have towed with the VX, and it's certainly been proven strong enough to handle heavy loads, but a short wheelbase is one thing that I don't think can be overcome with power or weight, and any heavy load will likely tend to steer the VX at speed.

OT: Cowbellsrock

LMBO Cowbellsrock

We are members of an offroad truck club here in Southern California. We have an official award given to members on the trail that get stuck enough to have to be tugged, winched, or pulled out of situations. Our award is the official, "COW BELL". When you win this award you have an actual "cow bell" wired to your vehicle until another person gets stuck. From meeting to meeting this prestigeous award is mentioned. It's funny to hear a truck coming down the trail with this giant cow bell attached. I say this because your name makes me laugh and giggle every time I see it. thank you for the giggle

Deby
    Improve the desert.... plant a Sierra Club Member!

i have towed a 22' donzi classic from mass to upstate ny. there was no problem with the trailer driving the truck. once the computer adjusted for the extra weight (about halfway) it would get up to speed better and go uphill better.the boat had to weigh around 3600 lbs.this was with the dalan hitch.the worst part of the trip was the fact that i used almost twice as much gas with boat behind me. shawn
    1COOLVX

Thumbs up

Tone's hitch looks like OEM, and is definitely a much better choice if you plan to use it with some hitch accessories. For me, it was worth the extra trouble of installing it. Here's mine with a hitch step.

2001 Kaiser "The Silver Shadow" VX #841

I think I have lost Tone's installation instructions. Can someone send it to me?

Thanks!
    Chet - CBA_VX

Tone Monday & Associates, top of the page.
    Scott / moncha.com