Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Tone's headlight bulbs: fuse issue

Thats because few here remember or knew of the old ClubVMag site!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

I was around for the ClubVMag I just didnt own a VX yet.

Anyways. I got my 15's and the lights work fine. Big improvement from driving with only one headlight to two with the better bulbs.

Now I need to re-upgrade my driving lights. Something more than just the 18w Malibu's......Any suggestions?

JHarris1385, how much do you want to spend? Moncha Hella Micro DE's are a nice upgrade for the driving lights.

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...ewarticle&id=2
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Cool

2 now included. It was discussed in the headlight install instructions..... I'll contact PIAA, Sylvania, etc and make sure they include them too.

Quote Originally Posted by johnnyapollo
    Funny - way back on the ClubVMag forum there was a long discussion about using 15A fuses if the bulbs are upgraded. It's coming back around ...

-- John
    Exactly why a sticky concerning any known issues would be a plus. In the end, the 15A fuse works like a charm for this one. Still loving these bulbs.
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

Warning!!!

Do not use any other bulbs power than stock unless you add relays!!!

While plus is supplied through relay, the ground wire is going to the dimmer under the steering wheel, so the contacts on the dimmer will quickly blow out, especially when you switch from low to high beam frequently. By installing additional relay instead of the lamp you can improve also the output from the stock bulbs because of the voltage is dropped on the long wire to the steering wheel and back to the ground.
    2001 Isuzu VehiCROSS (build in progress): 4JX1/A340/part time, 2" body lift, front Aisin hubs, rear Aussie Locker, 4.56 gears, OEM rear sway bar disconnect, AirFlow snorkel, cabin air filter
    1980 Jeep Cherokee (assembling): 1.5" body lift, TBI, HEI
    1987 AMC Eagle: stock

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. I-MAN View Post
    Here is a excerpt from HID forums.

Imagine that we connect the HID ballast directly to where the low beam halogen bulb is connected. Some vehicles might be are able to power up HID systems normally without problems at install time. Most probably, it will not last long. The inrush load can be up to max 13 amps per ballast, compared to 7amps inrush when using halogen. The factory design parameters for headlight curcuit is 7 amps inrush and 4.5 amps continous load. So over time, connectors, multifunction switch, headlight switch, wiring and fuse holders will slowly degrade, beacuse of heat buildup. These components are very time consuming to troubleshoot becuse they are usully well hidden behind dashboards and other wiring looms. Parts easily reaches several hundered dollars. Add 8h labour to that and it becomes obvious that a $50 wiring harness is a cheap insurance.
    Quote Originally Posted by uncle_asa View Post
    Do not use any other bulbs power than stock unless you add relays!!!

While plus is supplied through relay, the ground wire is going to the dimmer under the steering wheel, so the contacts on the dimmer will quickly blow out, especially when you switch from low to high beam frequently. By installing additional relay instead of the lamp you can improve also the output from the stock bulbs because of the voltage is dropped on the long wire to the steering wheel and back to the ground.
    Thinking of getting some 100/90w bulbs on ebay but these warnings are making me think twice. Just curious if people are still running these without any problems?

I had a set of bulbs that I got from Tone in my VX for more than a year (I have HID's now) and the only thing I did was to upgrade the 10 amp fuses in the fuse box to 15 amps and never had a problem. I don't remember the wattage of the bulbs, but I still have them so I could check tonight if you need me to.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

I've had them in for 4 plus years and no problems
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    I don't remember the wattage of the bulbs, but I still have them so I could check tonight if you need me to.
    Thanks, I did a little research and I am sure they would be fine for a few years but some people started having problems after five years or more.

This sounds like a nightmare I want to avoid:

These components are very time consuming to troubleshoot becuse they are usully well hidden behind dashboards and other wiring looms.
    So I just went with the 55w

I used them too until I went HID...no issues.
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"