Thread: Tone's headlight bulbs: fuse issue

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Tone's headlight bulbs: fuse issue

Last night around 7pm I hop in the VX to come home for the evening from an outting with some friends. Well, the headlights don't work. 20 miles from home in a parking lot at night with no working headlights. I pop the hood and find that the left and right fuses are blown for the front lamps. I replace them and turn the headlights on. POP! They both blow isntantly. Last 2 spare 10amp fuses I had. I pull the bulbs and inspect them and reseat them again. NOT an easy thing to do in the dark, cold, and no tools.

Anyways, I thought back to what I did that day with the lights since they worked the previous night. I remembered that I had flashed oncoming traffic earlier in the day to warn them of radar ahead. Hmmm.... I never used the highbeams with these new bulbs. Could it be an equation of "bulbs + highbeams + 10amp fuses = fuse POP?"

Luckily the AutoZone across teh street was still open so I grabbed a 30 pack of 10amp fuses. I replaced the right and left and tried them out. They worked. I hit the highbeams a few times. No problems. *sigh*

It remains a mystery. Do these bulbs require perhaps a higher ampage? Couldnt tell from the box they came in since it was all in Japanese, heh. The problem remains a mystery....
    Gary Noonan
    '01 S/C VX / '18 Forester XT

WormGod,

I would be interested in an answer too. I ran into the same problem a few months ago. Driving at twilight, turn on the headlights but don't notice a big difference. I thought that maybe it was still to light outside to see the headlights, but as darkness fell I realized that I couldn't see squat. Pull over and realize that the headlights aren't on. Open the hood, check the fuzes, and both 10A fuzes are blown. I had used the new head lamps for a month or so, at that point, and had flipped to the high beams a few times (sometimes quickly to blast oncoming traffic with their high beams on). I replaced both fuses and haven't had a problem since (knock on wood). That was about three months ago.

Hmmmm.....suggestions anyone?
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Are these the 100/ 90 watt quartz ones ?

I got same bulbs from Tone and my fuses blow on the second night after i flash my headlights so i switch them with 15A fuses instead 10 and its been almost month everything work perfect with highbeams and everything.

Lbdub
    yup they are

15 amp fuses, In almost a year and no problem.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Sounds like a possible fuse issue then. I'll try switching out the 10ampers and seeing how 15's go. I wondered when I installed the new bulbs if there was gonna be a fuse issue with stock 10's. Guess that answered my inquiry, heh. I don't imagine the stock wiring will have any issues with the higher, yet still low current.

In all, I think I narrowed down the issue. Messing around with it some more, it looks likeif you start the vehicle with the lights already on, the fises will blow. I got it to happen 2 out of 2 times. Also, flashing highbeams rapidly WITH THE LIGHTS OFF it blew them 3 out of 3 times. So ya, it looks like those bulbs are dragging more current through the pipeline than the fuses can handle. I will try these same tests with some 15's.... once I pick up some more fuses, heh.

I was around for the ClubVMag I just didnt own a VX yet.

Anyways. I got my 15's and the lights work fine. Big improvement from driving with only one headlight to two with the better bulbs.

Now I need to re-upgrade my driving lights. Something more than just the 18w Malibu's......Any suggestions?

JHarris1385, how much do you want to spend? Moncha Hella Micro DE's are a nice upgrade for the driving lights.

http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...ewarticle&id=2
    Greetings, Earthling. We come in peace... Never mind "Paris to Dakar", the VehiCROSS looks ready for the Martian desert.

Cool

2 now included. It was discussed in the headlight install instructions..... I'll contact PIAA, Sylvania, etc and make sure they include them too.

Warning!!!

Do not use any other bulbs power than stock unless you add relays!!!

While plus is supplied through relay, the ground wire is going to the dimmer under the steering wheel, so the contacts on the dimmer will quickly blow out, especially when you switch from low to high beam frequently. By installing additional relay instead of the lamp you can improve also the output from the stock bulbs because of the voltage is dropped on the long wire to the steering wheel and back to the ground.
    2001 Isuzu VehiCROSS (build in progress): 4JX1/A340/part time, 2" body lift, front Aisin hubs, rear Aussie Locker, 4.56 gears, OEM rear sway bar disconnect, AirFlow snorkel, cabin air filter
    1980 Jeep Cherokee (assembling): 1.5" body lift, TBI, HEI
    1987 AMC Eagle: stock

I used them too until I went HID...no issues.
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"