Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Let's REVISIT car stereo options!

Arrow Let's REVISIT car stereo options!

Hi Gang,

I'm pretty excited about taking delivery of my NEW (well, 1999, but new to me) VX next week. I haven't owned a VX in three years, so it's going to take me awhile to get back up to speed.

I wasn't really too happy with the stock sound system of my old '99 Ironman VX. The only change I made was adding an amp and a subwoofer, which dramatically improved things.

Still, I'd like to do better this time. I've got the spare change to do it right. Here's what I'd like to do...and I'm hoping some of YOU can chime in with suggestions and ideas.

WANT LIST:

A clean-looking system which includes
    GPS
    Sirius or XM compatibility
    New speakers all around
    Some medium-power amps
    one good sub...maybe in the spare-tire area.

Bonus: rear-camera integration into an LCD screen.

I'd like to keep my rear storage area clear, even though I know it's a good place for amps and subwoofer enclosures. I remember that Tone had a slick subwoofer enclosure for the spare tire area in the rear hatch.

Are there any super-cool new headunits out there with the LCD GPS DVD XM capabilities? Which fit into the VX dash without too much commotion?

Damn...this'll get spendy. And I know I'll have to address the sound deadening Dynamat stuff too...

Here is a link that may help you with a rear door sub box.http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...light=jl+audio
    I have also built a fiberglass box that fits in the spare tire for an 8" sub. JL Audio subs are some of the best you can buy. As for the rest of the speakers Mb Quart's are the best (IMHO). shawn
    Last edited by psychos2 : 12/04/2006 at 08:00 PM
    1COOLVX

Well, I cannot sacrifice the small amount of storage space behind the rear seats, so I'll HAVE to do something with the spare tire area. How expensive would it be to have a custom fiberglas enclosure made to fit behind the stock plastic spare tire cover, and then cut a hole for the sub in the existing cover?

I haven't even STARTED looking for a good head unit/GPS system/LCD combo. And I'd definitely like a way to get the rear-camera system integrated into an LCD screen.

did you follow that link? psychos2 builds boxes to fit in the spare tire area, read that thread, there is pricing and ordering info

as for video/headunits search for the pioneer AVIC-N2, someone here did a very nice install with that unit

i like the setup i have for video, i have my dvdplayer/source unit in the lower din slot and a standalone flip out monitor in the upper din slot, my source unit plays DVDs plus has an extra video input for video games/computer (or gps in your case) and my monitor has two inputs as well, one from the source unit and one from a rear view camera, just make sure the monitor you select has the capability to reverse an image in case the camera you get doesnt do it automatically

Quote Originally Posted by PHO2GR4
    Well, I cannot sacrifice the small amount of storage space behind the rear seats, so I'll HAVE to do something with the spare tire area. How expensive would it be to have a custom fiberglas enclosure made to fit behind the stock plastic spare tire cover, and then cut a hole for the sub in the existing cover?
    Did you check out Shawn's thread about his custom box? If you want a sealed box, that's about as good as it gets in the rear door, unless you want to try to do something like what I did (two 12" subs, sealed fiberglass/MDF with amp mounted on top). The box I built wasn't super expensive, just labor intensive. Therefore, if you can do the work yourself, it's cheap. If you have to pay someone, it's gonna cost you. Shawn is offering a semi-custom solution for a fair price. I believe Tone also still sells his free-air kit which will let you mount one 10" sub without losing your spare.
    Calmini Cone Air Filter, PowerVault PV2 Muffler, OME Trooper Springs, Rancho RS9000X Shocks, 285/75R16 Nitto Grappler AT's, Pioneer DEH P8000R In-Dash CD, Amps and Drivers Built by Orion, Wires and Fuse Blocks by KnuKonceptz, Vibration Damping by BQuiet, Alarm System featuring Auto Start and Remote Windows, Yakima LoadWarrior w/Full Size Spare, Debadged/Custom Titanium Grill Logo, Tint (5% Rear / 20% Front), Steel Braided Brake Lines, G2 Painted Calipers

VX Adopted Out. 2005 BMW 325CI & 2006 4Runner.
    I'd check out the AVN7000 by eclipse...

very nice equip.

-biju.

He lingers -- happily -- in a new hybrid state of semi-hormonal adolescence and responsible self-reliance.

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    another option for you for the head unit would be an upper end eclipse deck...they are great sounding decks, and they have GPS built in without having to have a screen, oh yea they are sirius compatible...the cd 4000 and above have the GPS (area shot) feature available...look at their website (www.eclipse-web.com)...and audiovox makes a very nice rear view mirror replacement that has a screen built in that comes with the rear view camera for $399 at circuit city...(sorry i work there so i know all the prices way too well) this would solve all your problems minus the sub and amp...
    oh and IMHO i love MBQuart and Polk Audio speakers...i think they are both great sounding speakers....the polks are a little "warmer" sounding but the MBquarts are a little clearer...
    pbkid

Smile

Biju and pbkid...

I just looked at the Eclipse site, and WOW those are cool. I've heard of that brand, but I've never owned one. maybe now's the time to make the leap!

There isn't a clean way to install the double-DIN version in the VX dash, is there? I guess having a motorized screen wouldn't be bad, but I love the built-in look of the 7" screen in my 350Z.

pbkid, the rearview camera idea from Circuit City is also a good find. There MIGHT be a way to runthe camera input into the Eclipse deck's screen. too, but I haven't memorized all of the specs yet. Plus, Tone might still have a few of his rear camera rigs left. I haven't contacted him yet because I won't even HAVE the VX until next Sunday, 12/10.

AND!

it DOES have the rear-camera monitor option. It also has 50W x 4 channels of power, so I'd only have to get a small separate amp under the driver's seat to power a small subwoofer.

AND it is iPod- and Sirius- ready.

If I can find a small inflatable mattress, I could then live in the VX.

Here is a link to the 8" sub enclosure thread. JL Audio 8" sub enclosure
    shawn

Wow, the 8" enclosure idea looks slick. I thought I'd have to lose the spare tire in order to install a subwoofer back there!

I wish I could squeeze an 10" sub back there. I already have a CL Audio sub collecting dust in my basement...still in the box, never used!

yea we also sell just the camera without the mirror part that would plug right into the eclipse deck for 179....also eclipse sells a rear view camera designed for their decks...

I have read somewhere in the forum that the eclipse brand is compatible with the stock in dash changer. Can anyone confirm this?
    don't hate

no its not, eclipse does not have a "din" plug in the back that the changer would plug into...unless the changer has something other than a din plug...i dont know my VX didnt have one in it when i bought it...

Quote Originally Posted by PHO2GR4
    Wow, the 8" enclosure idea looks slick. I thought I'd have to lose the spare tire in order to install a subwoofer back there!

I wish I could squeeze an 10" sub back there. I already have a CL Audio sub collecting dust in my basement...still in the box, never used!
    Did you mean jl audio? It may be possible depending on the model. There are ways to make the speaker think it is in a bigger box. If you add the right amount of fiberfill. Let me know the model and brand, and I will let you know if it is possible. shawn