Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Were is the transmission dip stick?

Question Were is the transmission dip stick?

Were is the transmission dip stick? I'm baffled. please help.
    Last edited by WESTO : 05/09/2005 at 03:12 AM Reason: MISS SPELLED WORD
    TARHEEL UNC-ROSS

dude, there isn't one!!!

you must have vx in park and started and undo the tranny fill bolt and pump fluid in there untill fluid comes out, then shift thru the gears and then fill again till fluid comes out..oh yeah, don't drive it first or pressure will put your eye out

Angry

SO TRUE...........and man did I drive myself VEHIcrazy looking for one too!!
    This has to be the biggest blunders on the VX design (*besides the window problem).
    John

How often to change Trans. Fluid?

My transmission fluid is visibly black. Is this not something that the dealer typically does? They haven't brouhgt it to my attention the last 3 visits. Or are they waiting for my transmission to fail?

I think the manual gives 60k or 100k before having to change the fluid under normal conditions. Mine has 45k?!?

I am getting ready to change my Trans. fluid and filter out at 54K. I'm not waiting for the old ticker to turn 60K
    John

This is from the VX repair manual. I've had my tranny serviced twice so far. Frequent fluid changes are always a good idea, regardless of the maintenance schedule.

Quote Originally Posted by CSTYLES
    My transmission fluid is visibly black. !?
    I would change the xmission filter & power flush this puppy without delay, right now!
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

Former owner of 01 Ironman #0723, 01 Dragon #0590
    Quote Originally Posted by SPAZZ
    ...oh yeah, don't drive it first or pressure will put your eye out
    I don't know why, but this quote had me laughing for 10 minutes. Maybe it's the visual.

What do ya'll think about swapping the pan with a dipstick capable 4L30 pan'd vehicle -like a Blazer or E36 BMW? Why'd Isuzu go with a sealed unit anyways? Is there something special about this particular tranny?

Quote Originally Posted by mbeach
    I don't know why, but this quote had me laughing for 10 minutes. Maybe it's the visual.

What do ya'll think about swapping the pan with a dipstick capable 4L30 pan'd vehicle -like a Blazer or E36 BMW? Why'd Isuzu go with a sealed unit anyways? Is there something special about this particular tranny?

probably to keep dirt or stuff out of the tranny....?? tats wat i always thought
    ________
    Web Shows
    Last edited by MZ-N10 : 09/05/2011 at 04:09 PM

Quote Originally Posted by MZ-N10
    probably to keep dirt or stuff out of the tranny....?? tats wat i always thought
    If that were the case, all automatic cars would not have dipsticks.
    Heck, my WRX had a dipstick on a manual transmission -and that car was built for rally.

I'm sure that there's some bureaucratic reasoning at work here, no engineer worth his calculator would design a transmission that was impossible for the user to check the condition of.

Quote Originally Posted by MZ-N10
    ...Or maybe it's because of where the tranny came from...
    Isuzu uses the 4L30E type transmission built by GM of France

I guess they figured "If you have one...you are one"
    John

I think it is the French trying to stick it to us again....

LOL...
    Fransmission

Seriously, do we share a pan configuration with another 4L30E car/truck. I'm all for swapping it out when I do my next service.

Quote Originally Posted by mbeach
    LOL...
    Fransmission

Seriously, do we share a pan configuration with another 4L30E car/truck. I'm all for swapping it out when I do my next service.
    Check a bmw z3, same tranny in there.

Don't get your hopes up: the dipstick doesn't mount to the pan. The dipstick mounts through a hole in the top of the cast section of transmission that the pan mounts to.

http://tad.grosvenor.org/gallery/94TrooperMods/CIMG1427

Looking at that photo you'll see the output for the transmission cooler at the front of the middle section of the transmission. If you look at the 1994 transmission behind it, you'll see an oil black hole there. That's where the dipstick connects to the transmission body. The newer (1999) transmission doesn't even have a non-drilled depression there. So the best that you could do is to remove the transmission, drill the case and hope that it seals. There also might be a difference in the valve body inside the pan there as well, I don't remember that part.

Be sure to keep the later non-dipstick pan too. The earlier pans didn't have a drain, so changing the fluid was very messy. I ended up sucking the fluid out with a topsider instead of trying to lower a pan full of fluid.

-Tad