Thread: Comprehensive Instructions Needed...URGENT!!

Comprehensive Instructions Needed...URGENT!!

Hey All,
    I need comprehensive instructions for replacing the intake manifold. I have all the new parts from Merlin. I have already cleaned the EGR prior and am familiar, but in order to do things proper I need to remove the fuel rail, etc and want COMPLETE instructions to do so... My factory manual only mentions removing the common chamber.
    I would be indebted to anyone, and am willing to paypal some dough if needed.
    mahalo
    Dylan
    face the mirror

Can't be any help with the assembly/disassembly procedures themselves.

Only info I can give you is that there's a TSB (technical service bulletin) on all 1998 to 2003 Isuzu models equipped with 3.2L or 3.5L engine that revamps the torque specifications for the "gasket intake manifold to cylinder head". Revised torque for both the 3.2L and the 3.5L is 13 lb ft.

Other specs:

Intake Manifold Fasteners: 16 ft. lb.
    Common Chamber Fasteners: 18 ft. lb.
    Throttle Body Fasteners: 18 ft. lb.
    Don Viner
    Sunset Isuzu
    6211 L Street
    Omaha, NE 68117
    O - (402) 733-2227 ext 214
    F - (402) 733-0395
    M - (402) 505-2147
    don@sunsetisuzu.com
    http://www.sunsetmotors.net

Thanks Go... Appreciated.
    Truthfully I am interested in the fuel rail assembly. All the other builds, from TPS, Idle sensor, Throttle Body, etc... I am cool with. IMO the only way to get to remove the common chamber is to remove the Fuel Rail. Some have posted you can wedge the common chamber up(?) and then slide in the gaskets(?). By my experience, sounds sketchy, and I want to clean out the EGR line.

Some might ask why not just have an Isuzu dealership do it?
    I don't trust them, & I am the third owner, no warranty.

Wink

Quote Originally Posted by xdfarrx
    Some might ask why not just have an Isuzu dealership do it?
    I don't trust them, & I am the third owner, no warranty.
    Hi xdfarrx,

I understand your distrust of having a dealership work on your vehicle. One of the biggest problems in my opinion with Isuzu dealerships is that their Isuzu franchises are generally secondary or tertiary concerns -- in other words, they don't promote the Isuzu brand strong enough, don't work closely enough with Isuzu owners, etc.

I don't believe that Isuzu is blameless in this. In the last decade or so Isuzu changed quite a bit, and not all of it was for the better. Thankfully, Isuzu *is* changing again, and so far I've been very impressed with some of the things on the horizon.

As Isuzu rebounds, I believe that there will eventually be more Isuzu-only dealerships like ours. There's only a handful of dealerships in the country that are Isuzu-only, and they tend to have the highest overall customer satisfaction ratings. Why? Because we don't have any customers *other* than Isuzu owners. Everything we do is geared towards Isuzu owners with little or no distraction.

I'm not suggesting you drive to Omaha to have us do the work. I would suggest that you look and see if one of those Isuzu-only dealers are located anywhere near where you're at. I don't think you'd be disappointed if you tried 'em.

Thanks Go... Appreciated.
    Truthfully I am interested in the fuel rail assembly. All the other builds, from TPS, Idle sensor, Throttle Body, etc... I am cool with. IMO the only way to get to remove the common chamber is to remove the Fuel Rail. Some have posted you can wedge the common chamber up(?) and then slide in the gaskets(?). By my experience, sounds sketchy, and I want to clean out the EGR line.
    Spoke with my Saturday tech. Suggestion was to remove the fuel rail. Shop steps for removal of the common chamber is thus:

1. Disconnect battery ground cable.

2. Disconnect Intake Air Tempterature (IAT) sensor and Mass Air Flow sensor (MAF).

3. Remove air cleaner duct assembly.

4. Disconnect accelerator pedal cable and automatic cruise control cable from throttle body and cable bracket.

5. Disconnect vacuum booster hose from common chamber.

6. Disconnect connector from manifold absolute pressure sensor, idle air control valve, throttle position sensor, solenoid valve, electric vacuum sensing valve, and Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) valve.

7. Disconnect vacuum hose on canister Vacuum Switching Valve (VSV) and positive crankcase ventilation hose, fuel rail assembly with pressure control valve bracket.

8. Remove ventilation hose from throttle valve and intake duct.

9. Remove the four throttle body fixing bolts.

10. Remove EGR valve assembly fixing bolt and nut on common chamber and remove EGR valve assembly.

11. Remove two bolts from the common chamber rear side and remove fuel hose bracket.

12. Remove the common chamber four bolt and four nuts then remove the common chamber.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Dylan,

When I did my s/c the injectors all came out of the intake with the fuel rail.No small amount of effort was required to get that assy. removed.But even MORE effort was required to remove each individual injector from the fuel rail.If your application allows, you may wish to leave your injectors in the f.r. when you do the switch.
    Last edited by Ldub : 09/23/2009 at 07:07 AM

A few tips:

You must must must have an extra long needle nose pliers to get off the fuel supply and return lines from the nipples.

You will need 22mm open end for egr nut

No need to pull TB from upper manifold, remove as an assembly.

Drain about half the coolant before you start, or it wil pour out when you remove the hoses from TB

John C.

Smile

Thanks you guys are great!-
    Go Isuzu... really positive and thanks for the subtle heads up. My third Isuzu, and this one I really love- I look forward to them stepping back up... To bad Omaha isn't closer....lol.
    To all else I have pulled off all the fore mentioned to clean my TPS, Idle valve, EGR plenum, and EGR valve.
    I am familiar with all the disassembly, and assembly up to the fuel rail. I stopped at reinstalling new Intake Manifolds due to the complexity of the fuel rail(not un bolting but removal to have free and clear ability to work). All the direct injection stuff was pretty easy... and I dielectric greased ALL connectors, but the fuel rail scared me from further work.
    At this point my idle is stumbling, car stalls frequently, and has even thrown a check engine light only to go away... Not end of the world but distressing

At this point I have offered Tone a plane ticket and a little California dreaming to help me get my girl back to the state of grace she once so proudly rolled the streets in. If the cost are reasonable, expect to see pics of Tone beachside soon.

Thanks Again!

Thanks you guys are great!-
    Go Isuzu... really positive and thanks for the subtle heads up. My third Isuzu, and this one I really love- I look forward to them stepping back up... To bad Omaha isn't closer....lol.
    Hope it helped, even if it was just a little bit. Isuzu has a ways to go yet before they're back where they were just a couple years ago selling a hundred thousand cars a year here in the US, but they *are* on the right track. Don't give up on Isuzu yet... times, they are a changing.

Good luck with your VX!

Thumbs up Torques specifications

Spun the #1 rod bearing in my 98 Trooper (3.5) after 156k miles, and 1000 barrels of oil. Anyway, I'm looking for the rod and main bearing torque specifications. I pulled the engine, flipped it over, replaced the rod bearings and debating on whether or not to replace the main bearings. It's still out waiting on torque specifaction. The engine ran great, no smoke, and no knocks until the bearing spun. Loved gas and oil though! I'll probably replace all of them, put the engine back in and sell the Trooper. Great little truck.

Also, if anyone knows the torque value for the rod and main bearings, please let me know. Oh yeah, and the thickness of the plastigage when torqued should be what range?

Thanks. GREAT Forum!!!

Look on the right sidebar under "downloads" for the shop manual.

You should be able to find everything you need in there.

Quote Originally Posted by GoIsuzu View Post
    Hope it helped, even if it was just a little bit. Isuzu has a ways to go yet before they're back where they were just a couple years ago selling a hundred thousand cars a year here in the US, but they *are* on the right track. Don't give up on Isuzu yet... times, they are a changing.

Good luck with your VX!
    Is good to know that isuzu is out there trying to come back as how once they were.i trully believe in isuzu's techology & quality,sorry the vehicross's engine came out with few down falls such as the oil consumption.

Few weeks ago i overheard that isuzu & toyota are working together to build small 4 cylinder compact sedan such as the corolla on diesel.

And as how every body knows toyota's reputation is the best across the world so i think that shall help isuzu's reputation to build up again.

All of us will deffinetly love to see a all-new re-designed VX out here with better features like more horse power (380 +) or factory supercharged,full size spare tire,in-dash NAV system with backing up sensors & rear view camera,spoiler sunroof,more cup holders,with 5 or 6 speed standard TOD transmmission,recaro bucket seats at rear instead of the bench,center console with more space,automatic tempeture control & much more.
    Dakar was just the begining.

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    Is good to know that isuzu is out there trying to come back as how once they were.
    I don't wanna be a turd in your punchbowl, but you're responding to a post from Feb. 2005, when there WAS a glimmer of hope for Isuzu in America.

That was then, this is now...

isuzu

Quote Originally Posted by Ldub View Post
    I don't wanna be a turd in your punchbowl, but you're responding to a post from Feb. 2005, when there WAS a glimmer of hope for Isuzu in America.

That was then, this is now...
    Yeah i realized that in the middle of my note,but about isuzu partnership with toyota is a going on right now.

But there's one thing about isuzu,if they keep dealers offering parts & accessories in the US they can also sell imported isuzu if there's a open window of opportunity in the future

Quote Originally Posted by Gussie2000 View Post
    Yeah i realized that in the middle of my note,but about isuzu partnership with toyota is a going on right now.

But there's one thing about isuzu,if they keep dealers offering parts & accessories in the US they can also sell imported isuzu if there's a open window of opportunity in the future
    Having seen the local dealership close the same year I bought my VX, and a steady stream of dealerships bailing out nationwide, I find it hard to share in your optimism.

But I do hope you are right...