Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Headlight Design, Need Opinions.

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU

Headlight Design, Need Opinions.

I've been working with projectors to make a new headlight design. I'm hoping to add a new aggressive element to the headlights and also hoping to have a kit for sale to those interested.

The Design:
    I don't care for the OEM circular reflector in the headlights and feel that a new shroud will add a new, aggressive element to the headlights. By switching to projectors, the headlights will have much better light output & bring the styling up to date. Also, projectors give you the option to paint the reflector any color and change to circular design.

The Kit:
    If everything works out, I would like to have a kit available that will allow anyone to easily switch their headlights to projectors and change the design. The whole process will be bolt in with no fabrication required. The kit would include a new shroud & projectors. Bulbs & ballast would need to be purchased separately depending on what you want (35w, 55w, blue light, white light, etc...)

The Projector:
    I will be using the Morimoto Mini projector for this build. It's a nice size for our headlights and has a shutter to utilize the high/low beam function. Littlebeast used Morimoto Mini's for his headlights that were being sold through V-LED. I know this because I have the Morimotos and they are the exact same ones in his write-up. Thanks Littlebeast , the write-up made it VERY easy to install the projectors.

LittleBeast's Write-Up:
    http://www.vehicross.info/modules.ph...warticle&id=86

Lens:
    Also considering adding an etching to the lens glass that will have the Isuzu symbol or VX lettering. It's a new thing the sema cars have and it shouldn't have an negative affect on the light output.

I'm flying by the seat of my pants on this project... I will work hard to get this project finished as a kit but there are no guarantees.

Here's some pics of the initial design. Let me know what you think and any suggestions you have to improve the design. This was built with dowels & gorilla tape, so please ignore the rough edges. Once I settle on the design, I'll work on a permanent mold to use as a template.

awesome idea
    Maybe an LED strip along the sides somewhere?

Single projector lamps on the VX look stupid - they always come out looking like small pupils on a large animal. New cars don't just have a single element anymore, they are made up of many smaller projectors and have a nice, balanced look.

LED headlights!
    Billy Oliver
    15xIronman
    My Sponsors:
    Accelerate3Coaching
    TriSports.com (PM me for 1 time use 20% off code)

Nice Project, heres my 2 cents, move the bulb to the right, & up. The add the second bulb lower left!!!

hmmm, I can't easily move the projector because it fits snugly in the stock halogen slot and allows for the OEM vertical beam adjustment. I should be able to add another light to the inner corner. I'm thinking about couple square high output LEDs to help break up the empty space. Thanks for the input guys, I'll update with progress.

This is the look I'm going for by adding the angles & "brow" to VX shroud. I would black out all the chrome on mine just like the Tacoma.

That still looks ugly. The single "pupil" look is quite tacky and looks really like cheap aftermarket. The image below was one I found to be quite appealing, so I saved it locally. I've uploaded it again because I can't remember the thread it is from...

I like the idea of LED headlights, or at least a LED ring around the headlight bulbs, like BMW's have...also Carbon Fiber surround on the inside is cool as well, like this photo:

Quote Originally Posted by atilla_the_fun View Post
    That still looks ugly. The single "pupil" look is quite tacky and looks really like cheap aftermarket. The image below was one I found to be quite appealing, so I saved it locally. I've uploaded it again because I can't remember the thread it is from...
    Gotta disagree about the Tacoma, I think it looks awesome & would be very happy if my VX had similar lights. I know what you mean by the "pupil" but there are ways to hide it and way to make it stand out. Still I agree that many single projector headlights don't look very good. If you go to HID planet forum, you'll see tons of projector retrofits and very few of them look good.

The mock-up on Patrick's VX does look great but would be hard to duplicate in the real world with the size of our headlight. I will look again to see where more lights could fit. This is just a mock-up on spare parts and will only get made for the VX if it looks REALLY good.

Quote Originally Posted by hankstrange View Post
    I like the idea of LED headlights, or at least a LED ring around the headlight bulbs, like BMW's have...also Carbon Fiber surround on the inside is cool as well, like this photo:

Actually the carbon fiber can be installed very easily, it comes as a fabric that wraps the reflector. I should pick some up and see how it looks with a black shroud in front of it. Usually I'm not a fan of faux carbon fiber but it might look great in this case.

what about two projectors in one headlight an d the shroud molded like this?

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by atilla_the_fun View Post
    those headlights on that VX where photochopped in... they arent real, i remember the discussion in the thread.

what about leaving the reflector 'chrome' and adding a 'running light' more similar to the TC?
    see the running light in the big middle light thats on?
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

If you added a more pronounced LED strip like these then it would help the look of just one projector without adding a second one. IMO
    could tie the strip into the running lights
    http://www.carid.com/images/spyder/h...306-drl-bk.jpg

Here's the problem with adding another full size projector &/or keeping the reflector.

There's not enough room. if I take the projector left or right I will have to cut into the back of the headlight casing to make room. Then I have to fix the projector in place with no adjustments and worry about sealing the back from moisture.

I really like the idea of adding another smaller projector, smaller reflector (like the light on the furthest left side of the scion) or LEDs while keeping the large projector in place to keep the design more functional.

I really like the look of the Tacoma light you pictured, and I think it would look fine with just one main bulb. I think if you start putting a bunch in there is looks too busy and wouldn't work well with the shape of our headlights.

Edit: Also, I'd love to see some carbon fiber.