Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 ... LastLast

Thread: Airflow Snorkel Installed

99 Matte Midnight Sand Met... oh nevermind. VX #0377...Project ZU

Airflow Snorkel Installed

This is a follow up thread to the snorkel interest poll I posted last month:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?t=21807

After hours & hours of research I found a snorkel that could fit with little modification. The snorkel is made by Airflow model #S029 for an ISUZU MU (Australian Amigo). The snorkel has already gotten a lot of attention in the two days it's been installed.

Fitment: The shape of the snorkel is perfect for the VX's window frame but the snorkel's base doesn't fit our fender flare as well as I was hoping. Using a heat gun, I reduced the snorkel base contour to fit the VX fender. Additionally, I used foam window seal to fill in the gaps between the snorkel and fender. Lastly, I had to use a heat gun to bend the top of the snorkel so the vent stands up straight.

I still have a little work left on the snorkel... like hooking it up to the air intake

I may still look into having an official Project ZU VX snorkel made but the initial estimates were too pricey. For now, this snorkel is a nice option.

Price: $350 AU + shipping from Australia.

Here's the link where I purchased the snorkel:
    www.snorkels.com.au

And here are the pics:

Thumbs up :-)

Wow, that looks awesome!!!!! That is the best looking VX snorkel I have seen. Nicely done! I hope you can get it totally hooked up soon. Nice mods so far. Great work.

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    Wow, that looks awesome!!!!! That is the best looking VX snorkel I have seen. Nicely done! I hope you can get it totally hooked up soon. Nice mods so far. Great work.
    Thanks dude

The kit comes with a flex hose that can easily be routed to the air box through the fender. I have a ram air intake and will need to get a waterproof enclosure for it first.

Looks sharp. A couple of questions/observations though... Is there any interference with the driver door? It looks just a wee bit short - does the intake get in the line of sight in the upper left? I'm thinking intersections. Lastly, could you turn the intake around to face backwards and take a few more shots?
    -VI VX VNIVERSVM VIVVS VICI-

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    hey jon, i have to be honest... every time i read your posts, i sit and think to myself that i hope that your like a lot of my friends, that love to build an amazing vehicle. Then reach the limit and get bored and sell to rebuild a new style....

if thats how you work, you should call me when your ready to get rid of project ZU

(thats right, im callin dibs)
    "Do Not Seek Praise. Seek Criticism."

"If You Can't Solve A Problem, It's Because You're Playing By The Rules."

"The Perosn Who Doesn't Make Mistakes Is Unlikely To Make Anything."

-Paul Arden

Congrats, looks amazing, I'm jumping online right now to order mine!
    Last edited by braaus : 02/08/2012 at 01:54 AM

Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    Looks sharp. A couple of questions/observations though... Is there any interference with the driver door? It looks just a wee bit short - does the intake get in the line of sight in the upper left? I'm thinking intersections. Lastly, could you turn the intake around to face backwards and take a few more shots?
    No interference with the door, the Amigo must have an identical door frame. I haven't noticed it blocking the windshield, I'll let you know if I have issues.

I might be able to take some pics for you. I know what you mean about the snorkel tube not going to the top of the windshield but most snorkels are like this, otherwise the intake will mount above the car. I've been thinking it would be cool to make a different intake that would go to the top of the windshield and wrap flat around the edge. Just a thought for now...

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post
    hey jon, i have to be honest... every time i read your posts, i sit and think to myself that i hope that your like a lot of my friends, that love to build an amazing vehicle. Then reach the limit and get bored and sell to rebuild a new style....

if thats how you work, you should call me when your ready to get rid of project ZU

Your 4runner is sweet but think it's time for you to get back into a VX... just not mine

If you don't mind me asking, how much was it total? Shipping and all?

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by LittleBeast View Post
    Indeed...

Good Job!.....

Quote Originally Posted by pbkid View Post

Me too!!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    Chi Dog...Dog is my Co-pilot
    Onward thru the fog
    Leave it BETTER than you found it!

Very nice work, looks professionally installed. Did you take any pics of the hole you cut through the fender? Wondering how much smaller the hole is than the snorkel base.
    Last edited by vt_maverick : 02/08/2012 at 07:20 AM

Oye, that looks really, really good!

I as well would like to know the size of the fender cut-out. Cutting into the fender of such a rare, exquisite four wheel drive vehicle is a huge step for me.

However, I am ordering mine.

Quote Originally Posted by RabidPony View Post
    If you don't mind me asking, how much was it total? Shipping and all?
    $405 shipped.

Quote Originally Posted by vt_maverick View Post
    Very nice work, looks professionally installed. Did you take any pics of the hole you cut through the fender? Wondering how much smaller the hole is than the snorkel base.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nigel Caffiene View Post
    I as well would like to know the size of the fender cut-out. Cutting into the fender of such a rare, exquisite four wheel drive vehicle is a huge step for me.
    The tube is 3" and supposedly stays 3" all the way through the snorkel. Airflow claims you'll get better performance with a snorkel because its a true cold air intake... we'll see.

I haven't cut the hole through the fender yet, instead I cut the tube off the snorkel base. I wasn't sure how much work I would need to make the base fit so I opted to cut the tube off so instead of cutting a hole in the fender . I need to plastic weld the the tube back on & then I'll cut the hole when I finish the install.

For reference, here are some install pics for the same snorkel by Black98rodeo on the planet.

I checked this under support on the VX and I'm pretty sure we won't have to cut it out to fit the tubing

This is similar to how the snorkel will look without any window seal on the base edges.

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post

This is similar to how the snorkel will look without any window seal on the base edges.
    You "should" be able to scribe the fender contour unto the snorkel base with a silver sharpie marker, then cut/sand to that line to make it fit perfectly.

"should" meaning, that I don't know all the particulars of it's construction with regard to internal mounting flanges etc.
    Last edited by Ldub : 02/09/2012 at 04:24 AM

Former 00' Kaiser #0804, 98 White 4Runner SR5
    Quote Originally Posted by VXorado View Post
    Your 4runner is sweet but think it's time for you to get back into a VX... just not mine
    i may or may not have a trick up my sleeve to get one