Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Remote Popper - IT WORKS!!

Remote Popper - IT WORKS!!

I've posted about this in a couple different threads, but FINALLY got the popper to work with the remote correctly, and not open with the door lock button driving down the highway. Here's how it works now: if the key is off, or out of the car, the second press of the remote will open the rear hatch - as will pressing the unlock button on either door (easy access - no key? press door unlock button). With the key in the run position, the power door lock buttons on the doors will not open the hatch, only the button in the glove box will open it (that way if the car is running, but sitting still you can open the hatch).

Went in search of a diode, but I was told that a diode to withstand that wattage would be the size of a coke bottle! So I worked with an alarm installer at the shop and he drew up the diagram - worked like a charm. Used a $6 relay (by Directed Electronics P/N 610T - 30 amp). I don't know how to get the diagram posted here, but if anyone is interested, send me your address and I'll mail you a copy. If you'd like me to get a relay, I'll do that also.

If you have good imagination - I'll describe it here:
    Pin 86 hooks to a second ignition wire (ign on) - I tapped the cigarette lighter wire coming out of the fuse block.
    Pin 87 takes the feed out from the popper switch in the glove box
    Pin 85 goes to ground
    Pin 87A goes to the second lt grn/blk wire coming out of the remote relay behind the drivers kick panel
    Pin 30 goes to the popper solenoid

Now I've got to find another project!!

Hey send me that diagram (admin@etmnet.com) or if you want to fax it to me tomorrow just pm and we can do that.

Steve Eum...5350 biloxi ave, north hollywood, CA 91601...please send me a diagram..much thanks!
    Everything but the Girl (Story of me life, and a great band!)

Steve, I sent it to you today.

Sorry it took me so long to post. I had to work on a project most of the morning. I'll probably get mine all wired up this weekend. BTW, any chance you got it so the rear door wouldn't fire when you unlock the doors from the "door console"?

When wired as shown, the door panel unlock switches will open the trunk ONLY if the key is off or out of the vehicle. I like this feature, because I can open either door and just hit the switch to pop the trunk.

If the key is in the run position, the door panel switches still operate the door locks but NOT the trunk. The only thing that will open the trunk while the car is running is the switch in the glove box.

So, car off - second press on remote, or door panel switches unlock the trunk. Car on - glove box switch only.

One thing a little misleading about my diagram above is the section showing the "door relay". The third wire down (lt grn/blk) shows going to the two door unlock solenoids and being split close to the doors. Actually, the passenger door lt grn/blk wire was originally attached to the bottom output on this relay. I cut it there and spliced into the top lt grn/blk wire right by the relay, then hooked that bottom wire to the new relay on pin 87A. Hope that's not too confusing!! It's actually a quick job, all the wires you need to splice and hook to are right there on the left side of the car. Took me less than 30 min, even with repeated tests and admiration time of my work
    Last edited by Raque Thomas : 09/24/2003 at 02:59 PM

is there a specific type of relay i would need to make this work? i plan on installing the popper kit this weekend and REALLY want to do this mod, but dont really know much about relays

I used a 30 amp relay that I picked up from a stereo shop. It's not special, just make sure it can gandle enough amps.
    "If you're not living on the edge --- you're taking up too much space!!"

You need a Single Pole, Double Throw (SPDT) 30 amp relay.

It is eaisest if you get one with a wiring socket.

Like Raque said, any stereo/alarm shop should carry these.

Here is a 10-pack SPDT with sockets on eBay.

haha this install is not going nearly as smooth as id hoped.. could someone give a description of where to find the door relay? i was down there and couldnt find an orange wire down there, or lt green/black, maybe im looking in the wrong place? does it come out of the alarm?

finally got it.. for anyone trying to do this in the future.. the door relay is located in the drivers side foot well behind the kick panel

I know that I'm dredging this up from the depths of long ago, but I am trying to do this little mod so that I can open the rear door with the stock Isuzu remote.

I have the wiring diagram printed out and I'm ready to install the new relay for the popper, but I can't figure out which relay under the drivers side kick panel is the door lock relay. When you take the panel off there are three relays stacked on top of each other. Does anyone know which one is the door relay?

etlsport, I see that you where the last one to post on this regarding the location of the relay so do you remember which relay is which?

Thanks for the help.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Hmm, this sounds interesting, can I get a copy of this diagram? My email is in my profile.
    01 VX Kaiser | Love it! Drive it! Mod it! MYVEHICROSS.com | VX-WIKI

Rancho RS9000X | VXC Shifter Plates | PV2 | Hella Micro DE fogs | Carbon Fiber Hood | AfterShock Skid Plates (front, rear, sides)

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman View Post
    ...When you take the panel off there are three relays stacked on top of each other. Does anyone know which one is the door relay?...
    In manual pics, it looks like the door lock relay is actually below those three black relays. Down at floor level, there are three (possibly more) white electrical harness connectors with foam wrapped around them. Most have male-female connections, but it looks like one of them is just a connector plugged into a relay. That one is the door lock relay.

---------

I'd be interested in a copy of that wiring diagram too if you get a chance Raque.

Hmmm...saw the foam covered connectors and figured that they where for the doors. Didn't see a relay, but then again I wasn't looking for one down there. I'll head down and take a closer look and report back.

I see two white foam covered connectors and one foam covered metal cylinder with a white connector. Is the metal cylinder the relay? I've never seen one like that and I guess the reason that I didn't pay attention to it earlier was because I was looking for a black plastic cube shaped relay (like all of the others that I've seen). The cylinder does have the correct number and color wires coming out of it so I'm guessing that's it. Thanks Y33!

Also, I would totally upload the diagram, but I just have a print out from a while ago and I don't think that I saved an electronic copy of it. I'll look around, but hopefully someone else has it and can get it uploaded.
    Last edited by MSHardeman : 11/28/2009 at 03:40 PM