Thread: Strange engine noise when accelerating

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone

Angry Strange engine noise when accelerating

Just want to ask everyone here before I have to bring it to the dealership again. Just started friday making a strange fluttering noise when accelerating, not when idleing or maintaining highway speed. Sounds like a card in a bike spoke. I have checked the ECR valve to be sure pipe is not loose, also have changed the PCV valve, still doing it. Anything else you can think of that I can check, it is under warranty but I hate taking it in to those people.

Is it worse when the engine is cold, a little better after warm-up?

If so, probably the EGR pipe, or maybe manifold needs torquing.
    Rick "Baxman" LaMarche
    Supercharged, Dynamated. SCCA Oregon Region rallycross class winner

That is the same sound mine made awhile back. It was a loose EGR pipe.

Like Rick asked, better or worse when hot or cold? Can you see any signs of carbon around any of the flanges? These kinds of sounds are usually from some type of exhaust leak.
    Best to break down and take your baby into the dealer, instist on taking the service writer or the mechanic for a ride so they can hear it and let them know (tactfully) that you expect them to fix it. I go so much as to tip generously, even if it is warranty service. My service people love me and my truck and have bent over to do things for me and ignore the changes that I have made to Moncha.
    Scott / moncha.com

12 Mini Cooper Coupe S fully modded and tuned!, 01 Kaiser VX #1209 RIP, 01 Kaiser VX #0664 Clone
    Thanks everyone, I hate going to the dealership so I will take it to the place that put my muffler on and ask if they can do it, I am sure it is some sort of exhaust leak and I would rather pay then take it to the dealership here in austin. I will let you know what it ends up being. (Paranoid me is sure the service tech did it)

Crazy stopped by today for me to look at it and the nut holding the EGR tube had come completely out. Noise was barely noticeable at idle but the threaded nut could easily be seen down on the tube.

Yes that is correct! Thanks again Tone, I had checked that this last weekend but the nut had not gone completely down the pipe and when I checked with me hand I could not tell it was loose. I tried for an hour last night to get that nut back on, I could get it started with my hand but did not have a short enough wrench to get any movement in the nut. How very upsetting!! Took in this am and of course they have to grill me, "have you had work done to your engine?" , gee only what you have done, I don't play with nuts and bolts for the heck of it!!! Anyway, makes me mad that I could not get this simple thing done. Tone is great, and all of us here in Austin are so lucky to have him close by!!

Maybe he could franchise...;Dr;