Thread: SC bearings? Alpines phone#?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

SC bearings? Alpines phone#?

My supercharger has a "rattle" sound now (mainly at startup and idle) and it is a bit embarassing, so it's time to replace my bearings. Does anyone know the part numbers for both the nose bearings?

And now that I am in search of bearings I have found that I may want to go with ceramic bearings? It seems that they may last a while longer from what I read on the net and they don't seem to be TOO much more if it will last three-five times longer. Any opinions on these in a offroad machine that sees a lot of cold weather as well as racing temps in the summer at the track?

I also see a Viton seal as an upgraded seal and will probobly run with that.

I can't seem to find Alpines number anywere if anyone has it it would be much appreciated! Their email address keeps bouncing back my emails.
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

http://www.lcengineering.com/ is handling all of their service and parts. If you're getting ceramics, just give the number off of the bearing face and they can look them up.

Thank you Tone! I will update this thread with what I end up using.

I've had that "rattle" since day one - thought it was a bearing as well, but others who have heard it dont' agree - the SC basically makes the noise when there's some parasitic load on the motor, like at idle when the AC is on, or when coming to a stop at a light and the vacuum swings (tach is slightly below idle). It doesn't make the noise at WOT or even when there's a little gas applied. My friend John Schellenberg surmised it's the screws making light contact when there isn't any compression. Let me know what you find out - also, has anyone contacted Magnuson for parts?

-- John
    John Eaton
    Original Owner
    2001 Proton Yellow #580
    Atlanta GA

http://wildtoys.com/vehicross/
    http://vehicross.blogspot.com/

"Metaphors be with you"

OK I called lcengineering and they told me to call magnuson. Magnuson told me Alpine would never send them bearings and couldn't tell me what part numbers they were, as Alpine would ask for the entire nose to do it themselves. So they referred me to Eaton and I ended up getting an answering machine. Waiting for a call back....

Oh and Jonny, this just started happening late this summer (50,000 miles without noise). I know my intake gaskets now have a very small leak and causes low idle at startup, is it possible that it could have something to do with it? And this noise really only happens about 1 out of 10 startups and lasts until I drive a little or let it make the noise for 3-4 minutes.
    Last edited by AlaskaVX : 12/13/2007 at 10:30 AM

I didn't think about an intake leak - if it's slight enough it could be the cause of my noise. I'll have to peel it off and take a look (luckily I have an extra set of intake gaskets - eBay for $14 for the pair).

-- John