Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Major Engine Problem

Unhappy Major Engine Problem

I currently own a 1999 Isuzu VehiCross with only 62,000 miles on it. On November 1, 2003 the main bearings in the engine failed due to a defect in the bearings. I had the SUV towed to my local Isuzu dealer to find out what was wrong. They contacted me on Monday Nov. 3rd saying that the motor was bad and could not be repaired or rebuilt. Then they said that it would need a new engine installed at the price of $5,500. Isuzu would not replace the motor due to the warranty expiring only 2,000 miles ago. I have tried to contact the Owner Relations Dept at Isuzu, but each time I talk to someone they put me on hold to tranfer me to a manager which ends up being a voice mail that noone returns calls from. I was wondering if there is anything else I could do to try to resolve this problem. I love the VehiCross, but I am very upset that Isuzu won't stand behind a quality issue that was totally out of my hands. I planned on keeping the VehiCross for a long time and now I'm afraid to hold on to it because the new engine will only be warranteed for 24 months. I don't know if anyone else has ever had a problem with Isuzu and I wish I could say that I haven't, unfortunitely I am experiencing very little cooperation from them. My local dealership has provided me with a loaner car at no extra expense and is willing to discount the engine and the labor since Isuzu won't help. I don't have a bad thing to say about the dealer as they have been great every time I've had service in the past. They are actually embarrassed that Isuzu won't stand behind their product. Please pass this on to other Isuzu owners in order to warn them of this experience.
    Last edited by VX_PA : 03/24/2004 at 07:50 AM

Unhappy

Damn VX_PA!,
    I HATE that your first post on this board was that your engine had "blown". I too have a 99' and wonder if there were any warning signs before the bearings failed? As far as dealing with Isuzu America or the mother company I have no advise. All of my issues to date, have been addressed by my dealer. Yea...once or twice I had to get pi$$y but all and all I'm satisfied with the dealer. I'm sure someone on the board will give you words of advise. Some of the western brothers and sisters work with Isuzu America pretty well. Heck, I even think one of them work for Isuzu itself.

Come On somebody help this fellow VXer!

Keep us posted on your progerss and if you recall any symptoms that lead to the engine failure PLEASE post them so the rest of us can "be on the look-out" Best of luck with your problem...carlymac
    carlymac '99 IRONMAN , #0278, Hendersonville, Tn.

VX_PA....

engine dying is a good thing. i wish mine would die soon so i can do a swap.

well actually i take it back...financially it's bad...

ISUZU customer service is the worst of the worst, iv'e always had problems with them. they only way is to go down there and talk with them face to face. good luck
    How you gonna stop me im ill-literati/ im like an ill-mariachi wit an automatic shotty/ like tony montana to yo body/ now you really dont wanna come and test me/ i spit verbal fusilades im headin crusades/ to weed out all the fakes like it was da salem witch trials/ yo @ss betta run or else you gettin baked at the stake/ and that'll put a smile on mah face/

When I had warranty issues they had me call 1-800 255 6727, and I ended up getting my rims replaced at 52,000 miles! Definately worth a try!
    2001 Ironman Daily Driver... 3.5" suspension lift (OME912 springs and 1" spring spacer), ball joint flip, 1.5" front diff. drop, 33"x12.5 TrXus MT, 16x10 Eagle Alloy rims, Interceptor, PV muffler, K&N air filter, Alpine Supercharger, Bilstein shocks, and some trimming.

2000 Ironman Project LS-1 VX... very slow progress but someday....... ohhhhh someday......

It seems that Isuzu had trouble deciding how long to offer a powertrain warranty on their products:

From '96 to '99 it was 6/60000

2000 to 2002 10/100000

2003 and on 7/75000

Unfortunitely I own a '99. I work for a manufacturer of Highway Equipment and if a customer was just out of warranty and thier motor failed we would replace it no questions asked, that is what good customer service is all about.

As for the warning signs, there weren't any at all. Oh wait, one comes to mind about 1 week prior to the motor FUBARing the engine oil light flickered. I checked the oil and it was fine so I figured it was just a glitch. Too bad it wasn't!

VX_PA

I FEEL YOUR PAIN!!!! My engine went out only a month ago, and 1 day before I was to trade it for my new truck!!!! Mine was also a '99 and had 61952 miles on it. I DID get a hold of someone at Isuzu HQ and he told me TUFF!!! His exact quote was "even if you were 1 week out of warranty we would not replace or help you replace your engine. Good luck" Loved my VX but Isuzu is on my black list!!!!!!!

As far as warning signs, my engine started to use an abnormal amount of oil about 3 months before it blew. I was using Mobil then switched to Royal Purple when it started burning the mobil, and changing it religiously. Alas to no avail!! I probably just prolonged the engine just long enough to get out of warranty. It happened with a snap of a finger. Driving home from work and it started makeing a VERY loud knocking sound. #1 cylinder GONE!! Had I not done anything I probably would have been under warranty and still driving it today. The only reason I was going to trade it off was because I knew "something" was wrong and wanted to offload it before the problem occured. No such luck......

I was burning about 2 quarts + every 1000 miles in the end. Could hear the engine chattering, but as soon as oil was added the chattering or knock would disappear. It was not "burning" oil as there was no black smoke coming out of the tailpipe, no leaks on the ground, and no bypassing of oil to the cooling system.......

Good luck in your endeavors, I was told it waould cost $4500 just for a short block to fix it..... I was fortunate that a wholesaler bought mine for $2000 less than what the dealership was giving me. So I ended up out $2000.

3C
    3C FORMERLY VX #1876
    www.triple-cs.com

Was it always cylinder one with the VX's this has happend to?

If so, I may just take mine to the delaer to have it checked.

Is anyone with the Rodeo reporting this or does it only happen to this engine in the VX?

I am all freaked out again about this as I have a 99 with about 53,000 on the clock! I feel like it is just a matter of time!

Out of warrenty and still owing about $11,500 on her, this really scares me

How can one take preventitive maintenance on this matter???

I swear I will NEVER BUY ANOTHER ISUZU FOR AS LONG AS I LIVE!!!

It's a damn shame the VX was made by ISUZU instead of a more reputable automobile manufacturer!
    Live Free or DIE!

I war freaked out

I have 99 Vx with 59900 mile on it.
    Is this a common problem.
    If this thing happened to me waht could I do?

I wouldn't say it is common at all as far as I am concerned.

BUT, it has happened enough to make me worried about it!

I'd say out of all the VX'ers here on the forums it only happened to a handfull (about 3-4) of people that we are aware of.

So, the odds of it happening to you are slim. BUT, if it does happen to you it would appear that you'd be SOL!

I think we need to look deeper in to why this happens and try to prevent it before anything goes wrong.

Bad oil pump? wrong oil? loose engine parts etc.

What would cause our V6 to burn / lose oil and then all of a suddn BLAM bye bye to your engine?

We have to get to the bottom of this on our own as it is obvious ISUZU will play the stupid card and act like they have no idea and then milk the fact that you where 1 friggin mile out of warranty!!!

um...i dunno...i take care of mine but i only change the oil every 4-5 thousand miles...and the only time i add oil is when i change it. i havent had a problem yet. just a minor tranny leak that i need to get fixed. and i drive my VX really really hard...

Here's a LINK describing possible 3.5 eng problems. Isuzu knows about this but contimues to deny everything.

http://forums.delphiforums.com/itog/messages?msg=996.35

Dragon Bob

The Isuzu service bulletin regarding excessive oil consumption (> 1qt per
    1000 miles) is service bulletin # IB00-01-5002. As I said on the phone, if
    you ever get to a point where you feel oil consumption is an issue, Isuzu
    will consider up to 1qt per 1000 miles to be "within spec". If your
    consumption gets worse than that, they will have the the dealership perform
    monitored consumption tests (per the service bulletin above) and if the oil
    consumption is then measured worse than 1 qt per 1000 miles, Isuzu is
    obligated to replace the motor. Having this service bulletin number at your
    disposal is valuable because it shows your dealership that you know what is
    going on. Tuck it away and hope you never have to use it.
    Last edited by Green Dragon : 11/07/2003 at 07:02 PM
    Neither ordinary or extraordinary, just indefatigable.

2000 VX Green Dragon- Chick Demagnitizer-Supercharger-Injen Intake- Cold air box-K&N- Power Vault SS Exhaust-265-75-16 BFG MT kms-On Board CO2- Custom Boulder Bars- Custom Skid plates- PIAA 520 Fog Lites-3inch lift with OME 912 Springs-LINE X Bedliner on Cladding & Hood Insert-ARB Front Lockers & Custom Bull Bar. Vintage Offenhauser Hood scoop Thule Rack. XM Radio-Custom Storage Box-First VX to surmount the RUBICON.Thanks Sierra Stompers

I'm sad to hear that I was too late to warn someone else of this problem. I don't think that I will get anywhere with Isuzu as they won't return my phone calls. My wife is really ticked. She has already made plans to send out press releases to as many newspapers as possible and letters to the editor to newspapers and auto magazines. Sad thing is - she'll do it. The worst part for Isuzu is that we are avid car show attendees and we'll be displaying our Vehicross with a nice big sign announcing the blown engine at 62,000 miles.

Worried worried

Still trying to get a real person at Corp. Isuzu, no luck. I ordered my new engine and it should be installed this week. Keeping my fingers crossed that all goes well. I'll be glad to give back the dealership the Chevy S-10 they gave me as a loaner. It makes you realize how good we have it with the VX. The seats in the S-10 are crap, so is the handling, and even though it is the 4.3 liter V6 it feels wimpy compared to driving the VX.

The only good thing to all this is at least I'll have a brand new motor with no miles what-so-ever. I'm surprised that it only comes with a 24 month warranty, but at this point I'll take it.

Once the motor is in and I get to finally drive it again I'll update everyone on this story. Wish me luck!!