Thread: Rear Reflector Replacement

Rear Reflector Replacement

I've searched the site, but can't seem to find the write up someone did on replaceing the reflectors in the rear cladding with round LED lights. I received all of the parts, and now I'm ready to go. Does anyone know who wrote the switch up, and where it might be?

Thanks.
    "The major difference between a thing that might go wrong and a thing that cannot possibly go wrong is that when a thing that cannot possibly go wrong goes wrong, it usually turns out to be impossible to get at or repair."
    -Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless

Previous owner of:1999 White Vehicross Ironman 1970
    What is it you need to know? I did that on my VX when I had it, simple job to do, just tap into your brake light wires if you want them to come on when you brake....etc
    The price you pay to be different......

I think I understand the taping into the brake light part, but I don't understand how you get the lights to stay in the reflector holes. I got the round LED lights, the rubber grommets, and the special little connector to hook into the back of the LED's. Do the lights just friction fit into the holes with the rubber grommets? There's no bolt, or anything else, on the back of the LED's except the adapter connection and I'm a little confused.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thumbs up

Quote Originally Posted by MSHardeman
    I think I understand the taping into the brake light part, but I don't understand how you get the lights to stay in the reflector holes. I got the round LED lights, the rubber grommets, and the special little connector to hook into the back of the LED's. Do the lights just friction fit into the holes with the rubber grommets? There's no bolt, or anything else, on the back of the LED's except the adapter connection and I'm a little confused.

Any help would be appreciated.
    Yup, friction fit with the 2" rubber grommets. You could add a bit of silicone to firm them up. If mine fall out, I'll let you know. I also trimmed a bit off the rubber grommet "front lip" to get it to fit more recessed with less bunching-up. The trick is to also cut the new hole the right size so the grommet will bind just right. I can't remember what dia., but if you get the grommet- use some calipers to measure the hole size you need. Good Luck.

Here's a helpful post if you haven't seen it yet:
    http://www.vehicross.info/forums/sho...?threadid=9338

It's a fun mod!

Previous owner of:1999 White Vehicross Ironman 1970
    I put used 3M outdoor tape on the back of my lights and never had any trouble out of them.

XCross and Kenny,

Thanks for the info. I can't wait to dive into the mod. I'm gonna light somebody's world up the next time I hit the brakes. Maybe I'll tie the reflector replacement lights into Tone's brake light flasher and get a little disco going at the stop light.

EVERYBODY SING: "Oooooo...You can dance...You can jive...Having the time of your life....." (Dancing Queen by ABBA for you youngsters out there).

Kenny, Thanks for the link to the thread. That's the one that I was looking for earlier.

Mark

make sure to take lots of photos! i plan on doing this too

"Engineers believe if it ain't broke, it doesn't have enough features yet"