Thread: Got $ for engine, any other ideas???

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Question Got $ for engine, any other ideas???

Alrighty, motor seized a few months back and I've finally got the money for a remanufactured engine. Looks like $3800.00 used and $4000.00 for a remanufactured engine with either a 50,000 or 100,000 mile warranty. Just curious if you guys have any other suggestions for a cheaper route. I had a guy that builds engines look at it and he said he would be kinda scared because sometimes with these types of engines things move a little when things like this happen. He says he would be a little scared to get into it and really couldn't promise it would last. I'm looking at $5,000 to put in the reman and thats what I'm leaning toward right now. Another quetion is will any other engine fit without much work and will the more popular and cheaper Isuzu engines bolt up? Also looking for any other suggestions you guys might have on this problem. I'm hoping my buddy can get started this week if this is what i decide. I really hate to let it go because it's in almost perfecy shape. The interior is perfect and the outside except for the cladding is awesome and I have the yakima rack. lol . Everything works except I have to lube the window once a month. Kinda curious too what I could expect if I sold it for parts?

Thanks Alot for any help,

George

Former owner of Supercharged #0604, now in withdrawal
    Those prices sound about as good as anyone here has found for an engine, IIRC. Spend the extra on the reman, I'd suggest. You have no idea what you're getting with a used engine, but even lightly refurbished and warrantied is a much better bet. Good luck!

And check that oil!

Yeah I know about the oil. I got lazy and didn't get it changed for almost 5000 miles. I have definetly learned my lesson.

Thanks,

George

Wink

Don't feel bad, I did the same thing with my old Nissan Xterra and blew the engine on it. I learned my lesson and now I am a freak for checking the oil and changing it, etc.

I give you props for not giving up your VX. Get the engine fixed and best of luck.

Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Mrcln1
    Yeah I know about the oil. I got lazy and didn't get it changed for almost 5000 miles. I have definetly learned my lesson.

Thanks,

George

Here's an Option

Here's an option to look at. Your VX is a 99. 99s have been known to have a cylinder flaw. Use the $4000 as a down payment to buy a new 2001 VX. It will be new to you. Part out your 99 VX to pay off the remainder of the 2001.

Just anther option.

Peace.
    Tom

p.s.
    I'll be first in line for the plastic plate the shifter sits on.
    "Through Great Sacrifice..... Great Rewards Will Be Achieved"

I'll probably try to make sure I get a reman for a 2000 or 2001, don't know if they will really make sure of it but it's the best I can do. I'm gonna have a hard time finding a VX as clean as this one. The leather does'nt even have a crack in it even though it has 120,000. Like I said the window needs geasing and the rear wines but Its clean as a pin. I gave about $8,000 for it and with this I'll have around about $13,000 in my VX, so thats not bad. If this motors does'nt last it'll be parted out or something. I like having something different and I'm willing to pay a little for that. It's hard to believe the other Isuzu motors don't bolt in and run though, since they made so few of these. Guess they really are different. lol

Thanks for any additional info guys,

George