Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: engine tapping ...oh no

Quote Originally Posted by Joe_Black
    I know, that's what I thought at first since that's what I'm familiar with as well from my FIAT/Lancia and Kawasaki DOHC experience. Apparently, and this is according to Isuzu service information and not my actual under-hood experience, our engine has hydraulic self-adjusting "lash caps". I'm about to have lunch with a friend who owns and operates a local major repair shop and will have more info then.

UPDATE: Apparently there is a such thing as a self-adjusting hydraulic tappet bucket for direct-impinging OHC and DOHC applications. When home later I'll look in the service manual for more info.

I have looked in the manual and I am finding nothing about this. It looks to me that this is not the case and they are not self adjusting. But I am not 100% positive. If they were self adjusting hydralic there would be no valve noise. You can notice a big difference between hydraulic and and solid lifters, I would think that this would be the same. shawn
    1COOLVX

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaVX
    ok, heres the link to some videos with audio of noise.....

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=100_1848.flv

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=100_1849.flv

the first one is with engine still running after a 5 minute drive.... the second one is after shutting the engine off for about 2 minutes, and i rev, and the sound goes away.

thanks guys
    david

It sounds like you may need the valves adjusted. It says in the manual they should be checked every 60,000 miles. shawn

Arrow

After taking a look at our shop manual I have to concur with psychos2 that we do not have the hydraulic type lash adjusters, as they look like good ol' bucket tappets:

Now I'm all curious where this "hydraulic valve lash" info came from referencing the 6VD1 and 6VE1 engine. Oh well, another challenge.

My apologies if I led anyone astray!
    Over 20 years of Isuzu enjoyment...

Quote Originally Posted by IndianaVX
    ok, heres the link to some videos with audio of noise.....

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=100_1848.flv

http://s169.photobucket.com/albums/u...t=100_1849.flv

the first one is with engine still running after a 5 minute drive.... the second one is after shutting the engine off for about 2 minutes, and i rev, and the sound goes away.

thanks guys
    david
    That doesn't sound good at all! Sounds like an old mercedes deisel.
    Live Free or DIE!

Mine sounds just like that and has ever since I got it. I've put almost 10k on it and no problems yet. It is rather annoying though.

Mine was sounding like that... I could not totally tell with my S/C and exhaust... but brought to my Mechanic, and he did a valve adjustment on it.

I have around 55K miles on mine.

yeah, im thinking it sounds like a 3.5 desil... ive decided to do the seafoam treatment. got 3 miles on it so far. will do an oil change in 497 miles, if its still tapping, its going in for valve adjustment, ugh. hoping the seafoam will clean it out though, which im sure it will, but not sure it will stop tapping. could have probably used the cleaning anyway.
    keep the replys comming though. it sounds like theres alot of valves needing adjusted.......lol.
    thanks peeps,
    david

UPDATE
    ok, im gonna change the oil, with the seafoam in it, on saturday, that will put it at a little over 400 miles with it in there. the tapping hasnt gone away...hasnt gotten worse either, but i will tell you something thats come back........MY MILEAGE!!!! more on that in a minute
    QUESTION i got the stethescope out again today, and was listening, and i may have found my tapping. there is a square box, on the same mounting as the fuel pressure regulator. seems to be a valve or solenoid of some sort, maybe a purge valve or solenoid, and there seems to be a piston in there somewhere, cause its tapping like theres no tommorow. anybody know what im talking about, had this problem, or has anyone replaced this part, and why?? i looked thru tones manuel, and you can see the part im talking about in the picture of the fuel pressure regulator, but it doesnt identify it.
    HELP NEEDED

ok, now for the better news. after a can of seafoam in this tank of gas, wiffing half can thru the pcv, and having half a can in the oil, mobil 1 with lucas syn oil stabilizer,
    and a whole week of little 8 mile trips, all in town driving, zippin all over the place, i got 297 miles befor the light came on, and even it shut off when i came into the driveway tonight. for me that is excellent. in theroy, i should have around 320 or so miles if im doing highway miles in there too, maybe. but this is great news for me. the short trips have been killing my mileage lately.
    so, im asking again for help from you guys on the identifying of the part described, and any opinions on if this makes sense on my tapping issue.
    thanks in advance
    waiting patiencly for a response
    david

Is it the egr valve? There is a nut on the bottom that can come loose and rattle. shawn

no, its not the egr........its on the back side of the engine, by the firewall, on the drivers side. just above the back coil pack, on the drivers side.theres a bracket, that holds the fuel pressure regulator, theres a hose with a light blue,(i think) cap on it, and nestled in this bracket is a silverish box, and the tapping is REALLY loud when i listen there with the steth. dont know what it is, but it sure is making alot of racket. dont know what to ask for to replace it, or even look it up on the board..........hmmmmm

david

99 Astral Silver VX #1872 + 99 Ironman WIP
    That silverish box with the blue cap...sounds like you're describing one of the ports in the A/C system.

Ldub,
    well, now that its light, i can describe better.
    there is a EVAP cap just below this box im describing, but it doesnt connect to the box im describing. just above this cap is a silver bracket that mounts to this box thats making all this noise. in the silver bracket is 1 inch cylinder that also has a orange plug behind it. then immediatly behind this plug, moving towards the middle of the engine is this black box, maybe 2 inches square, and its tap tap tapping loudly.
    Just changed my oil, and the engine is running smooth, and yeah, i can hear a very small valve tapping, but using the stethescope, i cant really hear the valves when i listen around the covers and other places, but i hear this box tapping everywhere on the engine, just not as loudly. i hope this makes sense.
    thanks guys for the looks and help.....im still needing it.

Question

OK, now ya gone went n done it...ya stumped the guesser !

I see by your gallery that you have photo technology, yer gonna have ta post a pic for me to have even a clue as to what you are talking about.

Ok, got some pictures, with homemade arrows even...... please, excuse how dirty my engine compartment is, been working at a place with a long gravel driveway.....but its warming up, and i promise you, i will have it all nice and clean again
    back to the matter at hand.......the noisy black box

this is the general location...drivers side, back, etc

here you can see the black box, right behind the oxidised silver clip. what is this thing??? government tracking device that uses morse code? what ever it is, i am getting alot of tapping noise from it, and has anyone else had this thing do this??
    have at it buddys, i dont have a clue. also, it doesnt seem to tap when the engine is cool, or cold, but after the engine warms up, the tapping is constant, and kinda decreases with revs.
    thanks guys, i really appreciate it!!!

david

Arrow

Near as I can tell...that would be your fuel pressure control valve.
    Take a look in the shop manual that Scott recently made available for download & look under "fuel system".