PDA

View Full Version : Me or the brakes?

cyronman
11/28/2006, 12:21 AM
So I test drove my 3rd VX in a month yesterday and I have to say, I think I'm days away from joining the fam.

One thing that has stood out in all 3 though is the feeling that the brakes are shot. Is this just a VX thing, or coincidence? It's not like I'm flooring the brake pedal or anything, but the response is just not what I'm used to (in my Subaru.)

any insight?

rowhard
11/28/2006, 04:09 AM
I know I felt the same way when I first got mine but, heavy vehicle, heavy foot. Did all 3 feel the same?

AndyC
11/28/2006, 05:41 AM
I think it depends on the condition of the pads. My Vx is at 36k and I'm still running the original pads but I've noticed a lack in the braking abilities- it was definately better before. I'll get a new set on soon.

I should note that I've been towing my jetboat for a few seasons now :)
That has taken a alot of life out of the brake pads.

etlsport
11/28/2006, 05:54 AM
im at 49k and thought the brakes feel awesome compared to the 05 civic i was driving before the VX.. maybe my pads were replaced though im thinking they are oem because i have zero brake dust and thats what lots of vxers report from their oems, didnt really look that close, i did just do a brake flush around 45k though

cyronman
11/28/2006, 07:08 AM
i think all 3 pretty much felt the same, which tells me it's probably typical.
i didn't even ask the simple question of if they were orig pads...kind of assume they are, there's (only) 40k miles on it.

any of you know what kind of replacement pads work good?
just oem or some type of aftermarket?

Solitude
11/28/2006, 07:17 AM
Heavy pressure on the brakes in mine makes them feel like they are grinding...
basically that is the isuzu antilock system.. it does work though if you apply them ontime.. in a panic stop... just keep the pressure applied and dont let up even though they feel wierd... they do work...

FYI Isuzu did a tech bulletin on the rodeo and recalled them... guess there was more then 4100 on the road so it was more important to recall the rodeo then the vehicross

Y33TREKker
11/28/2006, 07:36 AM
....but, heavy vehicle, heavy foot. Did all 3 feel the same?

Agreed. At 3955 lbs., the VX is definitely heavier than it looks. From what I've read here on the site, OEM replacements are usually the pads of choice.

cyronman
11/28/2006, 10:53 AM
thanks a lot guys.

BTW,
are the oem pads pretty easy to find?

Cobrajet
11/28/2006, 03:16 PM
I will definitely stick with OEM pads on mine. I just had my 90K service performed at the dealers and specifically asked that they inspect the brakes (pads and rotors) since they are all original. They passed with flying colors. I've checked the wear indicators and always feel for any grooves in the rotors when I rotate the tires, but have never felt anything out of the ordinary. I'm really surprised at this since I am not really that easy on brakes...or tires.

Anita
11/28/2006, 03:46 PM
I'm at 87K and the pads/rotors are still very good.

nfpgasmask
11/28/2006, 04:19 PM
I don't know, it could be brakes. The first VX I drove was a Silver 99, and I noticed right away the brakes were shot. I had to mash the pedal all the way down to get it to stop.

Then I test drove my 01 Ebony and the brakes were nice, felt normal, stopped good.

So, I would say its possible you got some VXs there that need brakes right away.

Bart

So I test drove my 3rd VX in a month yesterday and I have to say, I think I'm days away from joining the fam.

One thing that has stood out in all 3 though is the feeling that the brakes are shot. Is this just a VX thing, or coincidence? It's not like I'm flooring the brake pedal or anything, but the response is just not what I'm used to (in my Subaru.)

any insight?

Mark B
11/28/2006, 05:39 PM
Front and rear pads on my 2000 vx with 39,000 miles are in great shape.
I Know what you mean when you apply the breakes on the VX
My 1999 Isuzu amigo had the rear pads replaced at 60,000 and the front are still in good shape at 95,000.
The Amigo breaks different from the VX. Probably the weight factor in the VX.

PHO2GR4
11/28/2006, 07:36 PM
I've seen pads on eBay listed as "OEM", so I'd guess they are easy to find.

I've also seen "braided steel" brake lines advertised. Would this REALLY make the brakes 'feel' different, or stronger? Or would it just be a way to separate me from more money?

technocoy
11/28/2006, 08:25 PM
strange... Mine are a little worn, but i know I've always been impressed with the braking on my VX. It stops on a dime. Quicker than my sister's acura RSX and MUCH quicker than my wife's accord. eat's alive my buddy's Jeep grand cherokee, I always wonder if I'll stop in that thing.

cyronman
11/28/2006, 08:58 PM
thanks everyone...keep it going.
one thing i didn't consider while test driving was that it had been sprinkling for about 20 minutes...you know what that means.

and not to change the subject, but BART, i noticed in one of your other posts you said you were going to ft.Leonardwood one time...you a vet too buddy?