PDA

View Full Version : Windshield replacement

VXD959
05/02/2003, 11:13 AM
I need to replace my windshield due to a big crack. I met a guy recently that will do the complete job for $404, including the windshield cost ($240). I think is a good deal.

Has anyone replaced his/her windshield? If so, how much?

Thanks,
Daniel

paultvx
05/02/2003, 11:41 AM
Haven't done it on the VX yet... but I did get a big chip the other day from a Subaru who veered onto the shoulder briefly because the idiot was on the phone and not paying attention. I don't care what the people in the NW say about CA drivers... Having lived in both areas NW drivers are the worst. >:(

I have had the windshield replaced on another vehicle I owned, and $404 sounds about right. I'd shop around though. It's a very competitive business and you can probably get a better deal. Some might even offer to do it at no charge... well, not really, they'll bill your insurance instead. Speaking of which, if you have comprehensive insurance you should be able to use it to knock your cost down a bit.

geshaw30
05/02/2003, 04:22 PM
Yea Daniel, I found a place near the Dome that treated me right. If I can find the paper work I'll send it on to you..
I don't remember it being that $$ though...that seems high
________
Michigan medical marijuana dispensaries (http://michigan.dispensaries.org/)

paultvx
05/02/2003, 05:22 PM
Windshields generally cost over $200. While it may sound unreasonable, another $200 doesn't sound far fetched.

hitnrun74
05/03/2003, 04:37 AM
I've always had them replaced for my 250$ deductible on the comprehensive from my insurance company.

Green Dragon
05/03/2003, 06:53 AM
My windshield was sandblasted during a storm. My cost was $50 as I had a $100 deduct comprehensive & the glass guy gave me a break. Incidentally get the windshield that is more heavily tinted at the top. OEM windshield is not.

WyrreJ
05/03/2003, 05:20 PM
Unless you want to run a radar detector. Usually the tint at the top reduces range and the best place to put the detector for max range is right at the top, so you get a conflict.

geshaw30
05/03/2003, 07:27 PM
Ok Daniel- I bought a new windshield back on 4/02 from Able Auto Glass (2750 Holly Hall #1305...713-777-2253). The glass ran $199, with upper tint, and I found it to be much better than the factory glass. Add another $20 for Fast Cure urethene and another $100 for labor. When tax was included it ran $337.07.

Hope that helps and I do recommend them as they were very careful about the whole process :yesb:
________
Mr. Nice Guy Medical Cannabis (http://dispensaries.org)

VXD959
05/04/2003, 10:30 AM
George -

Thanks a lot! I will most definitely use them! I will call them during the week...

Navigator
07/27/2003, 03:05 PM
Out of the blue a very small, yet dense object hit my windshield. Impact point is very tiny, but it made a hairline crack about a foot long from the lower corner of the drivers side heading 30 degrees towards the middle. No need for insurance on this one, replacement costs about the same as my deductabe @ $250 and for now the crack gives the VX character as long as it does not leak :D

Still amazed, I didn't see or hear an impact, just saw it crack form out of the blue....very odd. Anyone else experience this?

Navigator
07/28/2003, 10:22 AM
No need to dig into your pocket, most repairs are covered under your comprehensive insurance, and will not effect your rates. YaaHoo !!! :jump: