PDA

View Full Version : Check Engine Light

vx spouse
11/21/2006, 06:53 PM
Was driving today when the check engine light came on. Opened the hood and checked the engine: it was still there. Seriosly though, there was no change in drivability or anything like that, and the gas cap was tight. However, I have been noticing that after a warm start the RPMs drop like the engine is about to stall ( sometimes it has ) then rebound several times before it idles normally. Any thoughts? I'm not the most mechanically inclined person, but I do the basic maintainence and can follow instructions. Once the problem is fixed, is there any way to reset the light without using a special tool? Aamco advertises that it offers free evaluations on the check engine light; do they clear it alsofor free does anybody know. Any imput would be greatly appreciated!

etlsport
11/21/2006, 07:09 PM
sounds like a pretty common VX problem, if you do a search for 'rough idle' im sure you will turn up lots of results, if you take your VX to an autozone, they usually have the diagnostics tools you can use to get the code and clear it if youd like, once you get the code type it into google and see what it means good luck!

p.s. i have a tool that reads/clears codes (scangauge II from tone, id recommend buying it if you have the means) and am not that far from you, if you cant find anywhere to do it for free let me know

rowhard
11/21/2006, 07:16 PM
Scan gauge that Tone has on offer is very cool, but if you don't wqnt to spring for one right now, stop by a Shucks or what have you. They will plug a scan tool into your OBD II plug, (sits under the dash by your left knee), usually for free in hope that they can sell you a part. It will give you a code(s) like P0113. Bring those codes back here and am sure the group will help you out.

kpaske
11/22/2006, 07:51 AM
Yes, what Rowhard said. Autozone, Schucks and pretty much every other parts chain offers free code scanning. Your symptoms sound like it could be a leaking intake manifold gasket. If you do a search you'll find tons of info on that one.

VXtreme
11/22/2006, 08:28 AM
Check the Idle Control Valve on the throttle body. Remove the throttle body and clean it thoroughly with throttle body cleaner. Remove the Idel Control Valve and clean the port it seats against and the ICV itself. Reinstall and this should resolve your idle problems.

disasterlady
11/24/2006, 12:15 AM
I had this same problem and it turned out to be a VERY simple fix!! I just hadn't tightened my gas cap enough!!! The vacuum needed for the fuel pump to get fed is crucial to having this done. I was only giving a few clicks to the cap, but now I am doing about 3 complete turns as it clicks away and I have not had a problem since. you could try it?