PDA

View Full Version : Wiper Failure - Part Not Available

Baxman
11/20/2006, 08:18 PM
The linkage from the wiper motor to the arms is known as the "wiper transmission". There are two shafts that transmit rotational movement from the motor's crank. The shafts have a vinyl socket at each end that snaps over a metal ball. The vinyl socket that attaches to my WW motor crank is shot, so it pops out of socket with minimal force (pushing two wipers).

I've checked two local dealers, with Merlin at St Charles, and with Isuzu Customer Service. The part is not available, it's on a 4-month national backorder. This is not a part shared with Rodeo or Trooper, and it seems that the VX is just too low volume for replacement parts to be made on a regular basis as for other models. I'm OK for now after having removed the right WW, cutting the resistance in half, but who knows how long that will last. Did I mention that I live in Seattle and we've had the wettest November on record?!

Has anyone else had or heard of this problem? I did a search here but found nothing. What could have happened to the replacement parts?

thedutchguy
11/20/2006, 11:17 PM
Man that really sucks!
It'can get wet here in the Netherlands also.
Did you encounter any problems before it failed?

Ruflyf
11/21/2006, 06:00 AM
Ya I heard measureable rain everyday for an entire month. boy does that bring back winter seattle memories. Anyway back to your problem, it sounds maybe we may need to produce a part. I havent had any problems so I am not sure exactly what the part looks like or how hard it would be to "fix" but I am sure with this group of peeps a solution can be found. Do you think its a part a junk yard would be willing to pull and send?

Joe_Black
11/21/2006, 07:13 AM
Can you post a photo? If it's a ball and socket linkage it's very likely there's an off-the-shelf cross or perhaps it can be replaced with standard parts.

rowhard
11/21/2006, 03:31 PM
Just curious, have you checked with Scarff Ford/Isuzu in Alburn since it's just down the road?

Zorak
11/21/2006, 03:47 PM
http://www.trademotion.com/partlocator/index.cfm?action=getLocator&siteid=213824&chapter=APO664&appSectionid=3&groupid=10009&subgroupid=20154&componentid=62153&make=15&model=Vehicross&year=2001&catalogid=1

Is this the part you are referring to? (this is Scarff Isuzu's site--one of them anyway)

Baxman
11/22/2006, 08:00 AM
Yes I've checked all local dealers including the best dealer to get parts, St. Charles, MO. They subscribe to a service that hunts down parts that other dealers in N. America may have, but came up w/zip. I'm sure there's a "creative repair", but I haven't had time to dissasemble and analyze. Once I do that, I'll see about posting pics.

Solitude
11/22/2006, 01:36 PM
I had luck finding an outside mirror from a used part place I found through google.. maybe that would help.. good luck.. and btw.. did you know suicide's in the north west are higher per capita then the rest of the country.. bet it has something to do with the weather.. ;)