PDA

View Full Version : Borat!!

transio
11/19/2006, 06:25 PM
Funniest movie I've seen in a long time.

djkymar
11/19/2006, 07:23 PM
haha yeah i just saw it today lol
they make fun of jew a lot and lot of different countries lol

Ruflyf
11/19/2006, 08:34 PM
Is it "stupid" funny or "funny" funny?

psychos2
11/19/2006, 09:10 PM
I did not care for it. There were a few funny spots, but not what I expected. my brother,nephew,and my sister thought it was funny. I like stupid humor but did not like Borat. shawn

transio
11/19/2006, 10:02 PM
they make fun of jew a lot and lot of different countriesSacha Baron Cohen (as per his name) IS Jewish. His feigned antisemitism is used in his work to attempt to unveil the latent prejudices existing in our society. In that sense, they (and most of his "jokes") are a critique of our culture, and should not be taken at face value.

Is it "stupid" funny or "funny" funny?It's definitely not "stupid funny", although I could see it appealing to that audience, as well. SBC's work is all a satire of society, and makes a statement (albeit a shallow one, but still). Therefore, it's intelligent comedy.

In the case of Borat, it's not only intelligent, but SHOCKING. Half the time, I was laughing out of embarrassment, because I just couldn't believe some of the things he was doing.

He has brass balls, that one.

thedutchguy
11/20/2006, 09:46 AM
he's trying to copy the Andy Kaufmann routine.

Not very original!

psychos2
11/20/2006, 10:10 AM
It's definitely not "stupid funny", although I could see it appealing to that audience, as well. SBC's work is all a satire of society, and makes a statement (albeit a shallow one, but still). Therefore, it's intelligent comedy.

I don't know if I would call it comedy. shawn

creeg
11/20/2006, 11:15 AM
I saw it last night, and it just goes to show you the diversity of views in America.

Yeah, I dont agree with a lot of the views- the racist, anti-semite, and mysogynistic ones are really really bad. But it shows you that not everyone agrees about equal rights for all minority groups in America.

It was kind of scary in that respect. There were some people who handled Borat's social fumbles very well (like the lady at the dinner party who tried to show him how to use a toilet), and some who were just idiotic (like the frat boys).

The point I got out of it was that there are a lot of differing opinions in the US (I didnt agree with a lot of the ones from middle america, but that is just my opinion and they have just as much right to a viewpoint as I do).

I live in Los Angeles, am liberal, and I needed a reminder that the rest of the country is not like here- both the good and the bad.

transio
11/20/2006, 01:52 PM
I don't know if I would call it comedy. shawnWhat wouuld you call it, then, shawn? Action? Drama? Horror?

kpaske
11/20/2006, 03:27 PM
His feigned antisemitism is used in his work to attempt to unveil the latent prejudices existing in our society. In that sense, they (and most of his "jokes") are a critique of our culture, and should not be taken at face value.I do not care much at all for racism. But comedians like Dave Chappelle and Carlos Mencia who poke fun at the stereotypes are hilarious. I haven't seen Borat yet, but I have a feeling I'm going to get an ab workout seeing this one. ;Db;

he's trying to copy the Andy Kaufmann routine.Many popular comedians have reused material very similar to the comedians they grew up with. Look at acts by Eddie Murphy, Richard Pryer, Bill Cosby, Robin Williams, George Carlin, Gallagher, Chris Rock, etc. and you'll find a lot of overlap there too. It doesn't make them any less entertaining. Besides, Andy Kaufmann wasn't very funny.

psychos2
11/20/2006, 08:13 PM
What wouuld you call it, then, shawn? Action? Drama? Horror?

It was just a comment because I did not think the movie was funny. I thought a comedy was supposed to be funny. ( pause ) NOT !!!

I was just throwing in a little comedy. shawn

transio
11/21/2006, 09:49 AM
I did not think the movie was funny.I laughed for 2 hours straight. That's the nature of humore.