PDA

View Full Version : Painting Wiper Arms

kelledee
11/18/2006, 10:20 AM
Has anyone painted the windshield wiper arms? What did you use and how did you do it. I cannot stand how bad they look! ARGH!

VX crazy
11/18/2006, 10:24 AM
I painted mine, lightly sanded first and used a charcoal gray hammered krylon, looks so much better and matches the cladding kinda.....

Joe_Black
11/18/2006, 11:15 AM
I've soda-blasted one set, and the other just scuffed real good using 3M Scotchbrite pads then final-cleaned with 99% alcohol. Both times used Rustoleum satin black with excellent results.

etlsport
11/18/2006, 02:06 PM
i sanded mine with 320 grit sandpaper the spraypainted them with krylon rust tough enamel.. looks grand

Jolly Roger VX'er
11/18/2006, 07:34 PM
I used both Rustoleum primer and then flat black Rustoleum paint and got very nice results..figure I spent about $4 per can and my time (bought paint&primer at Lowe's.) I just couldn't bear to show up for the VX-Plore Vermont Meet with weathered wipers!!!! LOL.

http://img136.echo.cx/img136/3514/dsc000513ki.jpg

I wet-sanded them before spraying primer and after suitable drying time sprayed a couple coats of flat-black.

Spike
11/19/2006, 10:23 AM
I did mine this past spring...

I picked up some rust converting black from PepBoys
(Cant remember the brand - Rustoleum, Krylon, cant remember, I will have to update the post later on when I find it)

Only one arm was REALLY bad with flaking paint chips and light rust spots, the other one had only faded. But I wanted to make them look uniform - so I treated them equally.

First I used a wire brush to get any loose bits off, wiped them down and let them dry about a half hour.

Then I took the rattle can to them for 3 or 4 coats (at the minimum wait time recommended on the can)

Next morning I put them back on. Looked like brand new... they still look great.

Tip - before unbolting the arms - I took a blue sharpie to the bolt head and a spot inside the arm. I made a small line to realign them later.

Oh, Don't forget to spray the little bolt cover cap too, so everything matches.

WormGod
11/20/2006, 08:02 AM
Steps I took:

1- Wetsanded with 600
2- Wipe clean with evaporating degreaser
3- Polyuerethane primer
4- Scotchbrite scuffed
5- Wipe clean with evaporating degreaser
6- Sprayed flat black Rustoleum
7- Sprayed semi gloss Rustoleum Clear

Clear has worked great because it allows me to wax the arms for extra protection throught the year.

Shadetree mechanics do it better!

Navigator
11/20/2006, 11:28 AM
Simply washed of any excessive dirt. Then when they were dry used Rust-O-leum satin black. They still look good today. Mine were never rusty, so if yours are, remove the rust before you paint for a better finish.