PDA

View Full Version : Dash gages

Inaba
05/01/2003, 09:42 PM
I've seen threads for CF dash kits, etc... but that's not what I want.

I hate, absolutely hate the gauges on my VX. They look vintage 80's crap. I like most everything about the VX, except this one glaring flaw.

Sadly, though, I've never seen anywhere that has gauge inserts or a replacement dash. I would love a yellow dash, or even a white/orange. Something more modern, and not a crappy font.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Joe_Black
05/01/2003, 09:58 PM
Fabbing a new instrument insert is pretty straight forward. Just remove the existing unit and make a few good patterns from it, then transfer that to whatever material you want to use: Stainless, carbon, colored plastic, aramid, copper, glass, turned aluminum, whatever floats your boat. The translucent stuff you can mask from behind with an opaque material to control lighting. The opaque materials you either have to cut out stuff like the numbers and idiot lights or illuminate from the front.

One thing that's really cool is to scan your existing insert, adjust it to your liking then print it to good transparency material. Then transfer that to an electorluminescent material (similar to indiglo) that's been cut to shape. Then you have an indiglo dash!

This is all pretty inexspensive material wise but attention to detail and patience really pays off.

VehiX
05/02/2003, 05:59 AM
Go here: http://speedhut.com/

Check the links on the right side of the page for ideas.

You can make what ever you want for your VX as long as you get them the layout needed for the VX. You can have indiglo, reverse indiglo and what ever design you want on the guages made out of what ever you want like CF, aluminum etc.

:D

Who's up for this ? We can get a group buy going once they are produced!!!!

Let's do this folks :)

Radiologue
05/02/2003, 06:35 AM
I would be interested!

VehiX
05/02/2003, 06:41 AM
Don't forget to look around that site as you can get gauge bezels to go around the gauges too, they even have some for select model isuzu's too :)

http://speedhut.com/images_products/O-059_installed.jpg

Inaba
05/02/2003, 08:23 AM
Thatd' be great if we could get speedhut to do it. However, they have (as expected) nothing for the Vehicross.

Fabbing a new instrument insert is pretty straight forward. Just remove the existing unit and make a few good patterns from it, then transfer that to whatever material you want to use: Stainless, carbon, colored plastic, aramid, copper, glass, turned aluminum, whatever floats your boat. The translucent stuff you can mask from behind with an opaque material to control lighting. The opaque materials you either have to cut out stuff like the numbers and idiot lights or illuminate from the front.

One thing that's really cool is to scan your existing insert, adjust it to your liking then print it to good transparency material. Then transfer that to an electorluminescent material (similar to indiglo) that's been cut to shape. Then you have an indiglo dash!

You make it sound easy, but I have no idea how to do any of that. How would I transfer it to that sort of material? Especially Indiglo stuff, doesn't that require a power source? Where would I buy something like that and how would I transfer the fonts and stuff onto it.

Printing out something new is an option, but where/what type of material can I put in a printer and print on that would be suitable?

VehiX
05/02/2003, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by Inaba
Thatd' be great if we could get speedhut to do it. However, they have (as expected) nothing for the Vehicross.

This is true, HOWEVER apparently you missed this message on thier site :D

If you can dream it - we can build it! Throw out the rule book- It's all possible NOW! Dials will never be the same!

Standard EL-Glo, Reverse EL-Glo, or a Combination of both.

ANYTHING you can dream up, we can produce (from our current car list). If your car is not on the current product list "scream at us". The following dials are a sampling we have done for some of our customers. If you're interested in a TOTALLY custom dial, give us a call and we will work out a price quote for you. #801-796-1460 or email us for additional info.

So who's interested? I am not the one you guys want to head up this endevor though, just warning you ahead of time ;py;

Just trying to get you guys and gals some info on the options that are out there.

Trevonte
05/02/2003, 01:16 PM
I would totally be interested in new gauges as well!

IsuZOOM
05/02/2003, 01:33 PM
Who's in SLC, Utah? Run down there and let them make a pattern from your gauge panel, and then we all should be able to have them make whatever we want :D

Todd Adams (http://www.vehicross.info/forums/member.php?s=&action=getinfo&userid=118) - that means you! ;Dy;

Inaba
05/02/2003, 03:48 PM
I'll be the group leader for some custom dash kits. Need 20 pre-orders before they will start a fab. I don't think that's the hard part.

However, the hard part is --- get this:

They need a dash cluster and it WON'T be returned. IE - they keep it. Ugg. So, does anyone know where to get a dash cluster that isn't in use any more? I sure as heck don't.

WyrreJ
05/02/2003, 04:27 PM
Isn't it the same dash as a '93 rodeo or some such? Maybe they already have one of those done, if not there have got to be lots in the junkyards.

RalphDog
05/02/2003, 04:45 PM
I'd be in. By the way I think it's like 93-97 Rodeo.

IsuZOOM
05/02/2003, 05:05 PM
Would we all have the freedom to choose what finish and stuff we want?

-x-
05/02/2003, 05:27 PM
....I think :rolleyes: how much of a finacial investment we looking at? Whatever im in :D

Joe_Black
05/02/2003, 11:35 PM
Sharp stuff, definitely beats home-made if the price is right.

Inaba
05/03/2003, 12:16 AM
Ok... I talked to them some more this evening.

First, and foremost... the guy I talked to said that since it's such a rare vehical, they can work with us and get our dash kit back. So it's a "loan" thing. He did, however, say there's a "small" possiblity that they could break off one or more of the needles in the process of measuring and stuff.

But if the dash kit is the same as the Rodeo's or what have you, excellent... just yank one from the junk yard. Can someone confirm for the dash kits are the same and/or a part number? I'll try to check it out as time permits.

Assuming a dash kit is available, I will get it sent off to Speedhut and get the process started. However, to get the kit as an actual fab, it would need to have 20 pre-orders. That's a lot of pre-orders, but not out of the realm of possiblity.

To answer some questions:

You can mix and match whatever colors you want from thier choices, and it's on a per user basis, not on the group. So one person can have yellow (!) gauges while another has white or blue! Cool beans!

Additionally, you can have at least 1 logo of your choice, but I wasn't real clear on whether or not you can have more than one.

The cost for each kit pre-ordered is $120 or there abouts. Not terrible at all, especially if it will make our craptacular dashes look like something that actually belongs in a VX, and not some junk yard beater. :)

IsuZOOM
05/03/2003, 08:29 AM
$120 isn't bad at all, Thanks for looking into this! Why wouldn't they remove the needles first?

Joe_Black
05/03/2003, 08:45 AM
If you decide to send them yours, be sure to remove your pointers before hand yourself and send only what they need. Usually it's just the face-plate. What they'll do is make patterns and set up their CNC equipment, die or mold for making these. They'll need an actual VX face-plate because our number gradations and such are different than the Rodeo or Trooper, plus we've got the TOD display on the left side rather than the usual oil pressure and voltmeter. For $120 I'd order one.

coachreed
05/03/2003, 02:01 PM
Count me in! I'm definitely up for this. Let me know when and where to send the money! Thanks for looking into this!

Coach... aka Randy!

Jonnie
06/25/2003, 12:08 PM
Bump!

Inaba
06/25/2003, 01:20 PM
A brand new instrument cluster from the dealer is $772.40. That's obviously a bit pricey... still need to find a dash cluster to send to 'em :(

sintex420
06/25/2003, 01:39 PM
I would get a new faceplate for that price, i'm in.

Lisa K
06/25/2003, 01:56 PM
Sounds awesome! I agree the guages are BO-RING and sucky for such an otherwise headturning vehicle. Something must be done. Thanks for looking into this - please keep us posted!:D

Spike
06/25/2003, 02:04 PM
http://www.vehicross.info/forums/showthread.php?goto=newpost&threadid=1368

If someone in that vicinity could locate the owner or salvage... ;)

AnalogVX
06/25/2003, 03:39 PM
I can't afford a dash right now, but I started a Vehicross search in Illinios here.http://www.uneedapart.com/index.htm
They will e-mail me with any finds.
Anyone else want to search at their location?

AnalogVX
06/26/2003, 06:55 AM
I got 3 replys from salvage yards. The instrument clusters range in price from $150-$199 shipped. I guess that's better than OEM. Anybody have any other luck? Want the contact info?

Jonnie
06/26/2003, 07:22 AM
That would be 5 people with $30, or 10 witj $15...

If I understand correctly, that would seed more than one design?

Jonathan

-x-
06/26/2003, 11:15 AM
....:mbrasd: so what are we getting into again lol, just change of the gauge color? or lighting? I myself am interested in the indiglo/reverse indiglo type set-up for the gauges....x

Spike
06/26/2003, 11:39 AM
From what I see on the site... once they have the configuration planned out, it's your choice.

You pick gauge color, EL lighting or not, graphics etc.

VCAMILO
06/26/2003, 12:15 PM
Reverse Indiglo like the Jettas woud be cool. I can contribute w/a small deposit...Whats the update?

Inaba
06/26/2003, 12:35 PM
Give me the name and info of the place selling it for $199 ... I can order it and take donations or something to defray the cost.

Then I'll send it into the dash place and get the ball rolling.

Vasha13
06/26/2003, 02:07 PM
I'll help contribute to this demo project. Inaba, let me know how if you don't take paypal.

I know this has been asked before but I would like it confirmed - once we get the Vehicross specs to them and they complete their template, we can order what we want from their site as individuals/group buy? We don't all have to buy the same thing right? I have no problem calling them and finding out - I just didn't want them inundated with phone calls from all of us if they prefer to work with just one of us during this demo phase. Let me know.

AnalogVX
06/26/2003, 03:53 PM
Give me the name and info of the place selling it for $199 ... I can order it and take donations or something to defray the cost.

I am at work right now. I will forward the info when I get home tonight.

Medman
06/26/2003, 05:30 PM
I am also interested in changing the dash gauges. Using this companies' product, would it be possible to change all of the colors of the dash lights? I would like the entire dash to be red in color. Is this possible? or, does anyone know how to do it themselves? I've tried taking apart the dash and replacing the stock bulbs, but that doesn't completely work. How do I get EVERY light in the dash (including the "winter", "power", and heating lights) to shine red? Thanks ahead for anyone's input.

-Medman

AnalogVX
06/26/2003, 08:41 PM

PM'd you with the source info.

Inaba
06/27/2003, 08:57 AM
I'm going to order an instrument cluster to send to those folks.

If anyone wants to donate for the fund, you can PayPal me at inaba@mindspring.com

If'n ya don't wanna use pay pal, PM me for address info. No donations required or anything; I'll do it regardless... but I won't turn down a chance to defray the costs! :)

Lisa K
07/01/2003, 09:33 AM

AREA 51
07/01/2003, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by Medman
How do I get EVERY light in the dash (including the "winter", "power", and heating lights) to shine red? Thanks ahead for anyone's input.

-Medman

If you remove those switches, you'll see what looks like a 5/16 " black or maroon diameter disk with a slot or cross for 1/4 turn screwdriver removal, somewhere on the body of the switch ***'y.. Once you remove this from the switch you'll find a mini-bulb with a green rubber hood on it. You may be able to find different colored replacement hoods through an electronics supply store

VehiX
07/01/2003, 08:33 PM
You'd need to order something like these:

http://www.trucknvans.com/bulbs/bulbcover.htm

Scroll down to the bottom of that page and look at the buld covers to order them.

They look like this:

http://www.trucknvans.com/images/8088-.jpg

Moncha
07/01/2003, 08:53 PM
Good find but, the covers on that page would be too big for the lights in the switches.. The bulbs are very small..

VehiX
07/01/2003, 09:05 PM
Originally posted by Moncha
Good find but, the covers on that page would be too big for the lights in the switches.. The bulbs are very small..

Scott, I think the ones at the bottom of the page are for interior lighting such as the dash and lock/window switches, I'm pretty sure they are standard size for most vehicles for these types of bulbs and you'd only be out 3.22 with shipping to find out :)

Moncha
07/01/2003, 09:12 PM
Correct, they do fit #194 bulbs. The bulbs that are in the switches and dash are even smaller than that.. I'll do some looking and get a bulb number here quick.
I just used semi-opaque enamel model paint (the kind to paint turn signal lens on models) and dipped my bulbs for the new switches that I put in.

Spike
07/01/2003, 09:43 PM
Suggestion - maybe a hobby store that specializes with model trains. They seem to have all sorts of unique tiny lighting options.

Question - How do you remove the switch button without damaging the switch?

Moncha
07/01/2003, 10:16 PM
The switches have little tabs on the back, you have to gently squeeze as your push them out. I did use a plastic knife to pry from the front side but I don't recommend this... The bulbs are in little sockets that you twist to get out.

BTW, very ggod idea about the model train stuff!

paultvx
07/02/2003, 12:31 AM
The light switches I got are blue when illuminated. They're the cheaper Rodeo switches. Are they blue because of the bulbs? or is it because of the light "windows" on the switch? They also don't seem as bright as the stock illuminated switches.

Dallas4u
07/02/2003, 07:55 AM
BLue LEDs would look kinda cool... if you could make all of the lighting blue in the VX

Inaba
07/02/2003, 08:57 AM
Thread hijackers!!!!

Anyway - the dash kit is OTW to me. Will get it setup with Speedhut asap after I get it. Still taking PayPal donations (inaba@mindspring.com) if you want to contribute to the dash kit fund :)

Just as a reminder... we'll need a minimum of 20 people pre-ordering (but not being charged) for the dash kit before they will fab it. So tell your friends to look for it. Would hate to not get enough people pre-ordering :(

Moncha
07/02/2003, 08:59 AM
The ones that I've seen are screened (Half-tone) lettering. The bulbs have little covers somewhat as described above to ge the color.

Medman
07/02/2003, 04:30 PM
I don't quite understand the speedhut fabrication deal. Are they revamping ALL the gauges, or just the two large circles for MPH and RPM? Don't you think the dash would look odd if only the RPM/MPH were custom? I dunno, just a thought.

paultvx
07/02/2003, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by VehiX
Scott, I think the ones at the bottom of the page are for interior lighting such as the dash and lock/window switches, I'm pretty sure they are standard size for most vehicles for these types of bulbs and you'd only be out 3.22 with shipping to find out :)

The bulbs at the bottom are 194/168. It says so on the page. 194 is the size of the bulbs used in the "horns" and the round parking lights in the bumper... clearly too large for interior switches.

Lisa K
07/18/2003, 01:22 PM
Any news with the prototype?

Inaba
07/18/2003, 07:37 PM
The Dash has been sent to SpeedHut, but there's nothing on the website yet.

I will make a thread when there is more information. Hopefully they'll get it up soon and we can get our 20 pre-orders in :)

TheUltimateMan
07/10/2005, 11:14 PM
I know this is an old post I'm replying to, but did Speedhut ever make the dash display prototype?

Are there ANY custom dash options out there for the VX?

:confused:

Rooster
07/18/2005, 10:34 PM
I'm in!

thedutchguy
07/19/2005, 12:45 AM
What about a conversion to this?

http://www.stackltd.com/img/8130wh.gif

http://www.stackltd.com/img/lcdanim.gif

http://www.stackltd.com/img/8110-601.jpg

It's a stack display and you can modify it for practicly any car.
All the information can be displayed at the push of a button.

It also comes in a boost version for those vx-ers driving around in a supercharged version. :)

MZ-N10
07/19/2005, 01:35 AM
What about a conversion to this?

http://www.stackltd.com/img/8130wh.gif

http://www.stackltd.com/img/lcdanim.gif

http://www.stackltd.com/img/8110-601.jpg

It's a stack display and you can modify it for practicly any car.
All the information can be displayed at the push of a button.

It also comes in a boost version for those vx-ers driving around in a supercharged version. :)

tats pretty awesome....what company and how much is it?

thedutchguy
07/19/2005, 02:49 AM
since you live in the USA check this link:

http://www.stackinc.com/index.html