PDA

View Full Version : Brakes/Rotors

nfpgasmask
11/14/2006, 10:10 AM
OK Folks, next on my list of maintenance is new brakes all around, possibly new rotors and a repack of the front wheel bearings.

So, I would like to open the floor to suggestions for brakes. What should I get? Should I try for OEM or is there a good quality, long lasting performance brake pad set for the VX? Also, I was thinking of getting some performance rotors like these:

eBay (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Isuzu-Trooper-Vehicross-Frt-Rr-DRILL-SLOT-BRAKE-ROTORS_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQcategoryZ33564QQihZ012QQi temZ220049316890QQrdZ1)

What does everyone think/suggest? I'm going to San Fran this coming weekend and I know I am going to need brakes after I get back.

Also, I was planning to have the pads changed out by a shop, but how hard is it to do myself? I did my Xterra's brake pads a few years ago, but it was never quite right I think. I would like to make sure it is done correct.

Bart

Ruflyf
11/14/2006, 10:30 AM
My biggest suggestion on pads is ceramic. I put them on my wifes blazer a while back to help eliminate brake dust. I must say brake dust is definately not an issue any longer. As for performance, well I cant really say because I dont drive it. I do know there is no brake noise either, but not sure if there was before they were installed or not. Moral of the story is: If brake dust is currently an issue, I strongly suggest ceramic pads.

nfpgasmask
11/14/2006, 10:52 AM
Cool, I will look for ceramic. Any brands suggested? Also, I tried emailing you but all the messages bounced back? Did you get my PM about that?

Bart

My biggest suggestion on pads is ceramic. I put them on my wifes blazer a while back to help eliminate brake dust. I must say brake dust is definately not an issue any longer. As for performance, well I cant really say because I dont drive it. I do know there is no brake noise either, but not sure if there was before they were installed or not. Moral of the story is: If brake dust is currently an issue, I strongly suggest ceramic pads.

Navigator
11/14/2006, 11:18 AM
Excellent stopping power, and because you have matte black wheels the black dust should not be an issue.

Tobert
11/14/2006, 11:25 AM
I just put the r1concepts (ebay) rotors and ceramic pads on mine a couple weeks ago. I've been very happy with them so far. I found other threads on these forums saying they were good, which is why I went with them. I think it was like $90 for the 4 rotors then $70 for the pads, $50 for shipping to Michigan. I may have those numbers off, since I also ordered a full set for the Subaru while I was at it. Definitely get the Ebay ones if you're not going OEM. Autozone wanted the same money for one front rotor that r1concepts wanted for a set of 4.

Make sure you buy a can of the good NAPA penetrating oil. It's a red can and is NAPA branded. I've had fanominal luck with that stuff. I also recommend buying your own supply of brake equipment grease. Grease all the metal parts that aren't part of the pad->rotor contact and you'll be squeak free.

Ruflyf
11/14/2006, 11:30 AM
I cant remember the brand, but it was what Autozone carried, or possibly Advance Auto.

Cool, I will look for ceramic. Any brands suggested? Also, I tried emailing you but all the messages bounced back? Did you get my PM about that?

Bart

Tobert
11/14/2006, 11:37 AM
Oh yeah, I got OEM style rotors, no drill, no slotting. If anything skip the slotting and get just drilled. I drive hard, but nowhere near hard enough to need either of those features.

VCrossfan
11/14/2006, 11:47 AM
I just installed new pads (OEM) all around and OEM style Rear Rotors. I went with the OEM pads by reading the forums here, I removed oem's and haven't had any brake dust issue's, so I'm sticking with them..

Ldub
11/14/2006, 01:39 PM
I agree with VCrossfan... When the time comes for new pads, I'm sticking with the OEM's from St.Charles.
I've driven more than a few different vehicles with disc brakes & have never seen pads that were as dust free as the stock Isuzu pads...my $.02

nfpgasmask
11/14/2006, 02:06 PM
OK, sounds good. I will call them and order soon. What about the rotors? Do I even really need new ones?

Bart

I agree with VCrossfan... When the time comes for new pads, I'm sticking with the OEM's from St.Charles.
I've driven more than a few different vehicles with disc brakes & have never seen pads that were as dust free as the stock Isuzu pads...my $.02

VCrossfan
11/14/2006, 02:17 PM
Hey Bart: For Rotors I went with the Duralast from autozone $30.00 per rotor no exchange of course and a 24 month Warranty. My rear rotors were coming apart on the inside (I replaced), and the fronts looked fine. OEM pads aren't cheap but they last.. All four corners for $172.71 from Merlin at ST Charles to my door, Free Shipping also..good luck..

kpaske
11/15/2006, 08:12 AM
I recently bought some nice SPF Performance diamond slotted rotors but I haven't installed them yet. They weren't cheap, and it's definitely overkill, but I love the way they look and hopefully they'll last me a long time. The stock brakes on the VX are pretty big and do a great job stopping the vehicle, so if you are looking to do the job right without spending more than you have to, I'd stick with stock rotors and pads.

Also, I'm pretty sure the stock pads are semi-metallic. If you switch to a ceramic pad, you should definitely turn or replace your rotors. You should at least have them turned, even if you replace stock pads with stock replacements if you want to do the job right. It's not expensive to have them turned at a shop, it just takes a little extra time and planning to remove them, drop them off, pick them up, and slap them back on. Most rotors can be turned at least once before needing to be replaced.

nfpgasmask
11/15/2006, 08:16 AM
So turning the rotors is basically grinding them down to remove any groves, right?

Thanks,

Bart

I recently bought some nice SPF Performance diamond slotted rotors but I haven't installed them yet. They weren't cheap, and it's definitely overkill, but I love the way they look and hopefully they'll last me a long time. The stock brakes on the VX are pretty big and do a great job stopping the vehicle, so if you are looking to do the job right without spending more than you have to, I'd stick with stock rotors and pads.

Also, I'm pretty sure the stock pads are semi-metallic. If you switch to a ceramic pad, you should definitely turn or replace your rotors. You should at least have them turned, even if you replace stock pads with stock replacements if you want to do the job right. It's not expensive to have them turned at a shop, it just takes a little extra time and planning to remove them, drop them off, pick them up, and slap them back on. Most rotors can be turned at least once before needing to be replaced.

MZ-N10
11/15/2006, 09:24 AM
turning removes grooves, bumps, any surface tat isnt completely flat and can cause skipping when u slam the brakes.

kpaske
11/16/2006, 04:12 PM
So turning the rotors is basically grinding them down to remove any groves, right?Yes. They grind them down perfectly flat, ensuring maximum surface contact with the pad. For obvious reasons, this can usually only be done once or twice depending on how bad the rotor has been worn, and sometimes cannot be done at all if the rotor has been neglected. There is a certain thickness spec that must be met or most shops won't even grind them for you. Turning will also remove the "glaze" that the pads leave on the rotor, which is especially important if you are switching between pad materials.