PDA

View Full Version : Wheels?

JHarris1385
11/07/2006, 03:45 PM
New to the rim/wheel buying scene......I want to buy a 16 inch or so wheel for the winter with more meat for tire than my current set up....
But the question is, what do I get? I have no idea on this topic other than we have 6 bolts and thats it. What else do I need to look for/follow? Please help winter is approaching and I need to buy...

As for tires I really like Alaska VX's recommendation of TrXus M/T's

These need to be replaced with some meat

[img]http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/500/Theee.jpg

Thanks to all who help...........

etlsport
11/07/2006, 03:49 PM
why not look for the stock 16's that came with the 99 VXs.. they arent the most beautiful wheel in the world.. but you know they will fit and if you only need em for winter, you dont hae to worry about messin them up and you can prolly find them on ebay for not too much

JHarris1385
11/07/2006, 04:00 PM
I have 3- yes 3 stock 18'' the fourth was "lost" in shipping somehow
But I would really like to get a black finished rim no larger than 18. I just really need to know what to look for. backspacing and so forth. The rims above came with the VX....

nfpgasmask
11/07/2006, 04:08 PM
Well, I'm doing the exact same thing. Keeping my stock 18s for summer, and putting on some different rims and tires for the winter. My wife just IMed me and said UPS just delivered my new rims, so they are waiting in the garage for me as I type.

I bought the AR Teflon Chambers. And yes, I am biting my nails. I really hope they fit with no issues. I have been wanting these rims since the day I bought my VX, so we'll see. I might just be selling them on eBay if I have issues. And if I do, then I will either go with generic steel wheels or buy a set of Isuzu rims from a Trooper or Rodeo and just spray or powder coat them black.

As for rims, I have read that you should try to get 16s or bigger, otherwise you may need to file down some parts under the front end. Also, not all 6x5.5 bolt pattern rims will fit the VX. You have to make sure the rim has a large center bore opening. An example would be the rims I just bought, there are two different AR Chambers with a 6x5.5 bolt pattern. One version is specifically for GM made trucks, and it has a smaller center bore opening, so stay away from rims made for GM Trucks.

I will be posting about the Chambers soon, I plan to do a test fit tonight, even though I do not have rubber on the wheels yet.

Bart

VCrossfan
11/07/2006, 04:14 PM
Hey J: My winter wheels are the stocks w/BFG 265/70/16 and fit nice. But I was thinking of these (http://www.hubcap-tire-wheel.com/helo-maxx-6-bml.html) to replaced the winter stocks. There not made for offroading but the black would look nice with the cladding and the price is right, around $400.00 to my door..

MSHardeman
11/07/2006, 04:16 PM
I agree with etlsport. If you're just going to use them as winter rims, get some '99 16's and you won't have to worry about tearing them up.

Scott Harness (?) from Texas has a nice set-up, but I couldn't find a gallery for him. I saw his rig out in Moab, and he has a white VX with stock 16" rims that he had teflon coated. They looked great with the tires he had on them and the coating seemed pretty durable.

JHarris1385
11/07/2006, 04:21 PM
Ok ill keep in mind the 16's idea but would much rather get some black ones.

So how do you teflon coat a wheel and how much would that cost. Or black powder coat them?

Thanks

IndianaVX
11/07/2006, 07:19 PM
hey J,
there is a place in mooresville called elrod, that does commercial powder coat, and pretty cheaply. let me know if you want to pursue that road, and i can get a price for ya.
take it easy
david