PDA

View Full Version : A/T or M/T???

nfpgasmask
11/07/2006, 01:43 PM
OK, I am on the virge of buying some BFG Off Road tires. I am torn between the Mud Terrains and the All Terrains. Has anyone any experience with both of these tires? Pros/Cons? Which would be better in snow? (And I mean SNOW, like over I-80 from Reno to California Lake Tahoe complete white out close the highway kinda snow).

Thanks - Bart

AlaskaVX
11/07/2006, 02:25 PM
Well snow tires and mud tires are completely different. The BFG A/T tires are a good choice for snow but if you want the best of both worlds get some TrXus M/T's they won't be as great in the snow, but will work fine and they have a good offroad tread/sidewall/side-lugs. I have been running the TrXus M/T's for a year and a half and am amazed at how well they do in wear/offroading/winter driving, I don't believe there is a better (offroader minded) all around tire, and they are reasonably priced. Hell they even look real good, I love'm.

I dislike the BFG M/T's they are a OK mud tire and would be horrible in the winter IMO.

JHarris1385
11/07/2006, 03:36 PM
Looked up that tire and it is AWESOME...

BBVX
11/07/2006, 03:47 PM
I have to disagree. I love my MTs in the snow.

We were driving back from CT in a pretty nasty storm, even the highways had 2 to 3 inches of snow on them. Well, I wasn't about to go 20 mph like everyone else, I grew up in upstate NY and can handle the white stuff. Besides, I'm drivin' a VX! fer cryin' out loud! :)

I got in the "fast lane", and probably got up to around 45 or 50, visibility wasn't bad so I wasn't that worried about it. Then the outer edge of my driver side front tire caught the 10+ inches of unplowed stuff on the shoulder and the steering started pulling me off the road. I took my foot off the gas and held tight to the wheel, slowly muscle-ing back into my lane. She came though it like a champ, never slid, hydroplaned, lost control, nuthin'.

I was told that the larger the void in the tire, the better it will respond in mud or snow, because it is less likely to get caked up. I think the newer BFG MTs even have a little ridge running down the middle of the void to help clean itself out every rotation.

I have yet to take a VX pic with anything caked in the voids, and I've taken a few... ;)

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid218/p85cc4ff13d07c3365f1eb6be61babbef/ec25c379.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid218/p7894b5b6002338e734a240fb75093b9b/ec25a2f5.jpg

http://www.imagestation.com/picture/sraid218/p92d9e1740541aa66df85bde475d66b61/ec25a34e.jpg

Like I said, I love 'em! :thumbup:

Brian

nfpgasmask
11/07/2006, 03:54 PM
Sweet, I am totally leaning toward the M/Ts, for looks and grip, I will probably be doing about the same amount of rough rock trail riding as I do snow riding, so I think the M/Ts will be good. I basically just wanted to here from some of you out there if the M/Ts sucked in snow. I have heard from some ppl that the A/Ts run better in packed, deep powder, which I will likely encounter this winter through the mountains.

The TrXus tires are ok, but the sidewall design is not my thing. I like the classic look of the BFGs personally. Hopefully I can get some of these fitted soon and post pics.

Thanks for the input.

Bart