PDA

View Full Version : High Output Alternator : ?

biju
11/03/2006, 09:51 AM
Need help deciding on a high output alternator. Need some help from people who have undertaken this mod to chime in and help me understand which is better, and why.

For example:

MR ALTERNATOR (http://www.mralternator.com/main.shtml)
140amp
50% at idle, 100% over 2000rmp - no micro pulley option available.
Plug and play
(I believe this is where Rickster was getting alts from)
$269

ALTERSTART (http://verizonsupersite.com/4alterstartcom/pages/store/skudetail.nhtml?profile=highoutputalternators&uid=12752&returnURL=http%3A//verizonsupersite.com/4alterstartcom/pages/common/sitesearch.nhtml%3Fquery%3Disuzu&catuid=10013)
150amp
50% at idle, 100% over 1400rmp - no micro pulley option available.
Plug and play
$299

Then there's the more spendy option, but not sure if it's going to work yet:

OHIO GENERATOR (http://www.ohiogen.com/)
GM 190amp
50% at idle, 100% over 1500rmp - not sure on micro pulley option yet.
Not plug and play - however they will fabricate for me a direct bolt mounting system and custom pigtail. In addition, they'll fab up a 'tricked out' regulator to play well with the VX.
$500

1.) Are there any other options out there for the VX?
2.) Which alt is most durable (from experience or opinion)?
3.) Any unforseen considerations with adding one of these?

Thanks.

-biju.

Triathlete
11/03/2006, 10:13 AM
Might check mean green. Not sure if they have a dirrect fit for the VX. (While your at it you should fab up a new mount higher on the engine to keep it dry in those big puddle crossings! :bwgy: )

E-ZooZoo One
11/03/2006, 10:31 AM
It sure looks like you've done your homework!

When I saw the thread title, I figured that I'd come on here and mention the AlterStart as an option - but you've already beaten me to it! :smilewink

I still haven't ordered one from them (like I've been telling myself that I would for ages), but I've called and talked with them a couple of times now, and each time they've been VERY friendly and helpful...

I was told that they would start by pulling a brand new alternator off of the shelf, and completely rebuild it; replacing everything inside with far beefier guts (including the bearings even!)... and also that if they recieved the order before 10am, the freshly upgraded alternator would ship-out later that same afternoon.

* Something to remember:
AlterStart will not warranty their High Output Alternators unless you buy their Shielded Heavy-Duty Battery-to-Alternator Cable... for something like $25.00, IIRC.

FWIW, based on my own research - and the (Independent4x-like) level of customer service that I experienced with those telephone calls - when the time comes, these are the people that I'll be ordering mine from. :coolgray:

Triathlete
11/03/2006, 10:54 AM
Thanks for that info E.Z.Z.O.! And $25 for their cable is not to bad.

etlsport
11/03/2006, 10:58 AM
biju, you dont have the stock alternator in the dragon still do you? (the audio setup is in the dragon right?)

Ruflyf
11/03/2006, 11:22 AM
I would say the Ohio Generator only because it costs the most and more expensive is always better, right? lol j/k

biju
11/03/2006, 11:53 AM
The system you saw in the pics (and some of you heard in person) was with no aftermarket alternator and no extra batteries! Not too shabby, eh?

Not this time, though...

-biju.

etlsport
11/03/2006, 01:32 PM
awesome, now i know my alternator/battery combo can handle my setup

if you did all that without replacing the alternator i cant wait to see what you have planned that requires a high output one....

Hotsauce
11/03/2006, 03:21 PM
I love the alt Rickster got me.http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/111150a_alt.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/111150a_alt.jpg)

John C.

biju
11/03/2006, 03:49 PM
I love the alt Rickster got me.http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/thumbs/111150a_alt.jpg (http://www.vehicross.info/gallery/data/515/111150a_alt.jpg)

John C.

So, any issues with the alternator? Ever have it measured for output/specs?

Thanks.

-bej.

Hotsauce
11/03/2006, 09:55 PM
No, but I can tell you that it DOES charge 14.3V at idle, no load.

John C.

E-ZooZoo One
11/03/2006, 11:57 PM
Glad to be of help.

BTW...
I think 'EZZO' has a very nice ring to it! :coolgray:

...more expensive is always better, right?
ABSOLUTELY! :yesgray:
I have an Astral Silver 1999 VehiCROSS for sale......... $247,000.00 if anyone's interested :smilewink :laughgray

biju
11/07/2006, 06:40 AM
After a few more communications with ALTERSTART...

ALTERSTART (http://verizonsupersite.com/4alterstartcom/pages/store/skudetail.nhtml?profile=highoutputalternators&uid=12752&returnURL=http%3A//verizonsupersite.com/4alterstartcom/pages/common/sitesearch.nhtml%3Fquery%3Disuzu&catuid=10013)
150amp
50% at idle, 100% over 1400rmp - micro pulley option IS available.
Plug and play
$299

Plus, they include dyno bench test results with the unit.

Unit has been ordered.

-biju.

kpaske
11/07/2006, 07:56 AM
Will Alterstart powdercoat them so they look purdy like the one Hotsauce has? Was that extra or did that come included in the $269?

biju
11/07/2006, 07:59 AM
Will Alterstart powdercoat them so they look purdy like the one Hotsauce has? Was that extra or did that come included in the $269?

The powder coat with with Mr. Alternator was extra ($25 - 30). I didn't ask Alterstart about powder coating.

-biju.

E-ZooZoo One
11/07/2006, 08:14 AM
...Unit has been ordered.
Most cool :coolgray:

I'm looking forward to your opinion of it!

pbkid
11/07/2006, 10:07 AM
hey beej you should let me know how that goes for you because i have a really good feeling that im gonna need a better alternator/optima battery...
every time my system hits my battery drops to 9volts...considering it drops from 18v, thats a bad thing...
plus i can physically see my tach drop like 200 rpm every time it hits...

so yea in conclusion you should let me know how that alternator works..

biju
11/07/2006, 07:19 PM
Will do, mang. We're kind of 'stuck' with the max size of alternator we can add (without doing any major modifications that is...)

150amps has to help - but the question is how much of a difference will it really make? I'll letcha know.

-biju.

pbkid
11/07/2006, 09:30 PM
cool thanks beej

kpaske
11/08/2006, 07:52 AM
150amps has to help - but the question is how much of a difference will it really make?

I don't know if you guys have done this already, but before upgrading your alternator, you could try upgrading your wires. I have 1/0 gauge running between my alternator, battery, grounds, and my power distribution block and have little to no dimming (it's VERY slight) and only when pushing my audio system pretty hard. I've read about other folks with major dimming problems who've corrected it only by upgrading their wires. I imagine that better wires AND a better alternator could make a huge difference in some systems.

driver3
11/08/2006, 08:21 AM
I have a new optima blue top... is the stock alternator not good enough? I'm having a hard time starting after only 2 months with the new battery... is this because of the alternator? Maybe I have a bad battery... ( I brought the battery camping, in another car, and the shovel head fell on it and connected the + and - and caused the top of the terminal to melt a bit, nothing serious.. but the car still started right up after, this was over a month ago.) think it may be the alt not enough to charge this battery?

biju
11/08/2006, 01:04 PM
driver3,

I know just enough to be dangerous - so if I'm incorrect somebody please pipe up....

I don't see why our alts wouldn't be suffice under normal loads (including recharging any optima). Sounds like the battery took quite the bruising during your camping trip - so it's hard to tell, really, what long term damage might have happened.

I'm only upgrading my alt in an attempt to keep up with the new storage system (series of batteries). Anything the high output alt does beyond that is keen, and a bonus in my opinion.

I dunno. Can't we take batteries into the local auto center to get tested so we can see if they're holding a charge properly???

-biju.

biju
11/08/2006, 01:06 PM
I don't know if you guys have done this already, but before upgrading your alternator, you could try upgrading your wires. I have 1/0 gauge running between my alternator, battery, grounds, and my power distribution block and have little to no dimming (it's VERY slight) and only when pushing my audio system pretty hard. I've read about other folks with major dimming problems who've corrected it only by upgrading their wires. I imagine that better wires AND a better alternator could make a huge difference in some systems.

Good point, kpaske. Alterstart shipped me, for free, the upgraded cables to compliment the new alternator - so i'll be sure to install those at the same time. Although, I think their cables are only 4ga, and not 1/0ga - so maybe I'm better off doing the 1/0ga.... Hmmmm....

-biju.

kpaske
11/08/2006, 01:59 PM
I think 4ga is the standard. 0 gauge is HUGE, and sort of a pain to work with, but I know I'll never have to upgrade it. Definitely go at least as large as your largest power wire - i.e. if you have 4 ga from the alternator to the battery, it would be pointless to have anything larger running to your components. Since I wanted 0 guage to my power distribution / fuse block, I had to go 0 gauge all the way to the source.

pbkid
11/08/2006, 06:18 PM
yea im running 4ga with a 1.2 farad cap right now...planning on upgrading the cap soon to a 5 farad...and possibly a red top optima before winter really hits...

psychos2
11/08/2006, 08:32 PM
I have a new optima blue top... is the stock alternator not good enough? I'm having a hard time starting after only 2 months with the new battery... is this because of the alternator? Maybe I have a bad battery... ( I brought the battery camping, in another car, and the shovel head fell on it and connected the + and - and caused the top of the terminal to melt a bit, nothing serious.. but the car still started right up after, this was over a month ago.) think it may be the alt not enough to charge this battery?

The stock alt is enough to charge.I have a blue top in my vx and it is fine.There is a possibility you damaged it with the shovel.When you charge the optima battery they can only get up to a certain temp or you could damage the battery. If it melted the terminal it got pretty hot. shawn

biju
11/09/2006, 02:33 PM
got the alternator today. smaller than I had expected, and I stand corrected - the beefier wire was not included with the order (my misunderstanding).

The bench test white papers are pretty cool though. Tells you what the output is at a bunch of different RPM's, etc...

One question to those who'd know: how do I tell if the alternator has a micro pulley as I was told it would? My understanding (which could very well be incorrect) was the pully is the six groove dealio where the belt attaches. Please school me. I need to be learned.

-biju.

Rickster
11/09/2006, 03:21 PM
The one from Mr. Alternator is 200 amps, and micro pulley is standard, and can be powdercoated numerous colors.

Rickster

Rickster
11/09/2006, 03:25 PM
So, any issues with the alternator? Ever have it measured for output/specs?

Thanks.

-bej.

Lookin good Hot

biju
11/09/2006, 03:47 PM
The one from Mr. Alternator is 200 amps, and micro pulley is standard, and can be powdercoated numerous colors.

Rickster

Hmmm... that's strange. As of just a few days ago the two blokes at Mr. Alternator I spoke to said 140 MAX due to the VX's stock alternator design. To back that up, a second company (Ohio generator), said the max we could get out of a direct bolt on alt would be 160, maybe 170 amp alternator (far short of 200) - again, due to the design of the stock alt.

I also told them that on this site I read that micro pulleys were available with their alts, and they said that was incorrect information.

Surely had Mr. Alt told me 200amps (with dyno test to back it up) + micro pulley option I would have gone with them. It's a no brainer.

Were they trying *not* to get my business? Why the variation in information from Mr. Alternator?

-biju.

AREA 51
11/20/2006, 08:49 AM
...considering it drops from 18v,

18 volts does not seem normal

pbkid
11/20/2006, 05:39 PM
when i rev it, my gauge gets between 16 and 18

Ldub
11/20/2006, 08:26 PM
One question to those who'd know: how do I tell if the alternator has a micro pulley as I was told it would? Please school me. I need to be learned.

-biju.

Beej,

If it's a true micro pulley, you won't even be able to see it, even if you squint your one good eye (pirate reference) reaalll hard. :p